Cab for EVH 5150 III

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by lostthinker, May 24, 2016.

1. lostthinker

lostthinker New Member

What's up, I have seen a few posts on here, but I'm not sure they've answered my questions fully, if they have, this thread can be deleted, and I apologize.

To the point, I have a 50watt EVH 5150III, I am looking for a new cab, I got the EVH cab, but it's way, way, way too bright. I am thinking about getting a rectifier 2x12. I don't know if the 50w will sound too great through a full stack, plus the 2x12 is a little more portable. I'm trying to get deathcore, metalcore, death metal tones. Something like August Burns Red, TDWP, Whitechapel, et al. I know they use 6505+ or block 5150's, but I like the clean channel on the III more than the 65s or the blocks.

I have schecter demon-7 and a Ibanez TS-808 on the front end, but only put it on for lead work.

Other than a new cab, are there any mods I could do to the 5150III to get it darker? Also, I would like cab suggestions.

Has anyone put V30s in the evh cab?

Thanks.

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I used to run my 5153 mini through a 2x12 Recto cab and it slayed for those types of sounds.

One trick I've recently started doing on mine for a thicker sound is to run all the EQ really low and push some more gain than normal. I'd usually put the gain around 3.5 then the bass/mid/treble all at 6 and presence to taste, but now I've got the gain at 5, bass and treble at 3, mid at 4, and presence around 3 or 4. I also boost the front end with an OD808 for rhythm sounds and a Duncan 805 for leads, though the 808 is still good for both. I don't have the 2x12 anymore, but I still run the amp through a Mesa Stiletto 4x12

3. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

I'm totally gonna try this tomorrow. My bass was at around (clock wise) 12, mids at 2-3, and treble at 1, with the gain at like 11. I'd love to try out what you mentioned to see how that sounds with my Jackson which is incredibly snappy without some low end.

I also have a 212 Recto and I really like it. For EQ settings don't forget about the resonance knob in the back, it does wonders if you crank it up imo, and another trick is to cut back the treble a bit and use the presence knob more. This helps it get stay chunky and sound bright rather than thin.

4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12. :)

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs. Pinch Harmonics. Pick Scrapes. Dive Bombs.

+1 on what TWAT said! It slays through a 2×12 recto cab and sounded even better through my Fryette FatBottom 2×12 though.

6. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

For the fact that these can be had for CHEAP, get a G-Flex 2x12. I have 2 and they are KILLER cabs that THUMP. I run my EVH 5150 III 50 watt and my 100 Stealth into them w great success.

If you're looking to keep the existing can and swap speakers, skip the Vin30 as that is the most over-rated PoS on the planet. Sterile, brittle, grating. If you're doing a speaker swap, Eminence V12 is the speaker that every has been deluded into believing the V30 is. I struggled for years with my tone through Vin 30s.

That said, the Mesa Vin 30 cabs are KILLER! The cab's construction gives a far more pleasing character to the tones.

Derek

7. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

I play my 5153 100 watt thru a recto 2x12 and also thru a carvin legacy 4x12 (all with vintage 30s) and both sound freakin great.

One trick I learned was to crank the presence and dial back the treble to compensate. It gives a very different feel from the aml

8. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker