Cab design idea.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bretton, May 19, 2018.

1. Bretton

Bretton SS.org Regular

have an idea for a guitar cab design. a 4x12 in the (rough) shell of a 2x12, with a speaker on each side do throw the sound around all sides. stick one of these on top of a regular 4x12, and you'll have a decent height stack, and one of those side speakers will point at the drummer so that'll help if the monitors suck on stage.

[​IMG]

has this ever been done?

kylendm likes this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

There could be an issue with two adjacent speakers simultaneously fighting for the same air. If you imagine the sound waves pulsing off the magnets, they could potentially cancel frequencies or even double some, but I imagine it’d end up sounding weak with frequency cancellations.

Jacksonluvr636, bostjan and narad like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

try it and report back.

kylendm and odibrom like this.
  4. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

Yeah I would think it would sound bad unless it was designed right, like maybe have the side speakers offset from each other or something.

Plus I don't think sending sound all around the room like that is a good thing for a lot of rooms, though I could be wrong about this. When rooms are too square and have no sound absorption, sound will bounce and interfere with each other. When they are all sent in one direction like on a normal cab, they all move pretty similar and the interference is relativity minimal. With the speakers in the side like that I think you would basically guarantee that the sound would eventually bounce and interfere with each other. It might work on a stage or something, but I just don't really see the point, there would be very little benefit with a lot more potential problems.

5. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I also say try it and report back.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

+1
    Do you need to have both side speakers? Maybe three front-facing speakers and one side-facing speaker, or else try the design you posted as an open-back cab, or else, if you go with closed and this original design, try to wire the two side speakers in phase and then 180° out of phase with each other, and see which is better? Either way, though, I think there'd be significant risk of damaging the cones of the side speakers.

7. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

If you're willing to spend a couple of bucks there are a lot of different cab design programs that can simulate this kind of thing for you.

Hollowway likes this.
  8. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

You could also get freaky like older Schroeder bass cabs, maybe some side-angle

[​IMG]

9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

The Genz Benz GFlex have angled baffles. Maybe you can do angled baffle on the top slant and the bottom 2 speakers will be as usual firing straight.

10. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

It's a neat idea, but there more than likely wouldn't be enough air space for the speakers which would ruin their response much like a poorly designed speaker cab for a car stereo. I can't say for sure, but the two on the side might experience a push pull kinda thing, and some cancellation. If there was a way to seal each individual speaker in it own enclosure within the box,that might work, but you'd at 4x12 size or bigger, which would defeat your purpose

11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

It's like this. But pop the baffles outward. lol

[​IMG]

12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

1. Those cabs are a blast 2. Just do those :lol: