C flat...

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Dusty201087, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

And guitar is not one of them.

2. Keytarist

Keytarist SS.org Regular

In common bowed fretless instruments, flat notes and sharp notes are different in tuning. A flat note is slightly lower to its enharmonic equivalent spelled with a sharp, and viceversa. For example, Ab is closer to G, while G# is closer to A, so they don't have the same frequency. This convention is based on chosing the note more closer to its resolution, so if the phrase resolves in the A note, you must choose G# because it's closer to it. Works for altered chords, secondary dominants, etc. .One must consider this when writing for strings.

3. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

Amusingly, my choir is performing Samuel Barber's "Agnus Dei" (his choral arrangement for "Adagio for Strings"), and the Baritones have to sign a high Fb.

Ya know, 'cause E isn't good enough.

:D

4. Keytarist

Keytarist SS.org Regular

The 'Adagio for strings' for strings is beautiful, I didn't know he made a choral version of it.

5. Mr. Big Noodles

That's to make it look more impressive on paper. :lol:

6. TonalArchitect

TonalArchitect Augmented Chords!

Yup. Apparently 'twas so popular that he decided to do it. Kinda cool since the original composer re-arranged it, not a later guy/girl.

Truth. :lol:

Speaking of impressive on paper, that piece is a giant swirl of sustain slurs. Easy to lose your place.

7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

8. polydeathsphere

polydeathsphere SS.org Regular

Yea, but now look at all of the substantial posts that all say the same thing with people adding more stuff to seem smarter...

I kid, I kid, and to continue, theoretically you could write in Cbb Major, but everyone you ever met would hate you for the rest of your life.

9. Mr. Big Noodles

There have been times when I'd rather have seen Cb in place of B. Example: I was playing a chart with a big band, and the arranger wrote Gb13-Bmaj7. Nuh-uh, no bueno.

Actually, I wrote a phrase the other day that technically goes to both Cb and B (within the space of, like, four chords :lol:). Then again, I like to call intervals by what they actually are, as opposed to enharmonic equivalents, so it's not all that hard to see.