Buying software on eBay for less than retail price?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Metaguitarist, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Metaguitarist

Metaguitarist SS.org Regular

So I'm currently thinking about getting EZ Drummer 2 in the near future, and see that there are some who sell complete license transfers? I would be against spending money on anything shady or that undermines the content creator's rights. Is this somehow not worth it or less-than legitimate?

2. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Why not just wait for a sale? The Toontrack stuff goes on sale pretty often for like 40% off or so.

3. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I'd just always be concerned that it's dodgy, like a Stolen key that has been sold to the third party distributor.

4. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

I'd never feel comfortable buying used software unless it's from someone that I know in person. Otherwise you'd always run the risk of it not being legit.

5. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Even with legit software, not all developers allow their software license to be transferred or resold. So you could potentially buy a legit software with a legit license key and still be unable to register it with the developer, which means you couldn't update or upgrade it through the developer.

The only way to know would be to either read the End User License Agreement or contact the developer directly.

6. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

Regardless, ebay would protect you. A buyer could be Hitler, burning a cross in ebays corporate office and they would still side with him over a buyer with 1 million perfect sales.