Buying a new guitar. Need input!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Goobymcgoober, Jul 23, 2020.

Which guitar

1. Ltd SN-1000FR

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  2. Jackson SL3M

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Goobymcgoober

Goobymcgoober SS.org Regular

Hey all,

Brand new here and signed up specifically for this question.

EDIT: I’m brand new so I couldn’t post links to the guitars. I just posted the names :$

I’m going to pull the trigger on one of these two guitars. No store has any of them in stock and I’d need to put down a deposit just to get my hands on one. I said I’d never do that again as I’ve had so many bad experiences with lemons including two “custom” mayones that quickly found their way on reverb at massive losses but I’ve had my eye on both of these since the start of the year.

ESP LTD SN-1000FR BLACK BLAST

JACKSON SL3M RAINBOW CRACKLE

I’ve heard horror stories about Jackson and basswood and I love my LTD. My favourite guitars I own have ash bodies and this Ltd. has one. Looking for any input on quality control etc. The specs seem dearer on the LTD but that rainbow crackle has been on my mind every day since I saw it.. I did have a seven string Jackson that I plek’d when I was apprenticing in a shop that had one and it was the sturdiest most stable guitar I’ve ever owned but I’ve tried countless in store and they were horrendous. I’ve never played a “bad” Ltd.

Any input would be appreciated as this is a reward for myself and there’s nothing worse than the downer of a let down NGD where you spend the whole time trying to justify the cost for what you actually just got.

2. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Personally I would go with the LTD given a choice. I love stainless steel frets, it’s got great pickups, roasted neck and more versatile options. Buy from a good store like Sweetwater and just return it if you get a dud.

Musiscience likes this.
  3. Goobymcgoober

I’m in Canada so I’ve been in talks with my salesmen there but it’s complicated since I used to drive to New York to pick up my gear. Can’t do that currently and it’s a taboo in the market for them to ship directly to me (territory stuff) so we are trying to figure something out. (Think Anchorman brawl but with music stores )

4. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I'd also give my vote to the LTD considering my recent experiences with Jackson from this line, but are you sure those LTDs have stainless steel frets? I guess that might be new in the latest version...
    If so, then even better.

5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Your first post already reads like you want the Ltd. Get that one.

Order from l&m?

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Never been impressed by a Jackson that wasn't made in Japan or USA. ESP/LTD's are usually well made at all price levels, especially this price range. I think the LTD is going to be a better made, higher quality guitar.

If you need that crackle finish then go for the Jackson, but be warned that there is a high likelihood that it wont live up to your expectations in terms of feel and quality. Maybe with some work done to it you can get it there, but it likely wont come that way out of the box.

Otherwise, LTD all-the-way.

Long & McQuade sell both Jackson and ESP/LTD. They should be able to order one in for you upon your request. Of course COVID-19 may result in ordering/shipment delays.

7. budda

Cosmo in Richmond Hill may have what you want in stock as well.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Jacksons are hit or miss even into the X series. I would never buy a Jackson sight unseen. Those and ibbys are the 2 production brands I would never evverrr buy without trying them in person. LTDs are consistently very good quality above their entry level models ime.

Plus you could always have the LTD refinished with a crackle finish.

9. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Jackson USA stuff is pretty good. I’ve yet to play and ESP or LTD in the intermediate price range that was even remotely questionable. Go with the LTD.

10. Goobymcgoober

Pulled the trigger on the Ltd! Just waiting to see if Sweetwater is allowed to ship it to me. No one else has any in stock and the local stores said it would be months..

Thanks everyone for the input!!

11. Goobymcgoober

So it doesn’t ship to canada... I orderEd a distortion parallel axis for my Washburn instead lol.

12. budda

Shoulda just ordered from l&m, waited, and got what you wanted :lol:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  13. Goobymcgoober

I actually tried ordering from L&M after Sweetwater said they couldn’t get it to me. They can’t get one here for me either as it’s a US model only. I finally found a dealer on reverb who would ship it to me but at that point I decided to listen to the universe and maybe this wasn’t meant to be at this time.
    Turns out it was the right choice as I had to put $1000 into my car at the mechanic last night.

everything happens for a reason bubba.

Zhysick and budda like this.
  14. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I'm not sure why but I just found so amazingly funny that you just called him "bubba" instead of "budda"

Splenetic, josh1 and Goobymcgoober like this.
  15. Goobymcgoober

Hahahaha blame it on 140 days in quarantine, a two year old and a ridiculous amount of sustained sleep deprivation

Zhysick likes this.