Buying a new guitar is not as easy as I thought it would be.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by GoldDragon, Jun 10, 2020.

1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I'm making the move on buying a new guitar. I haven't bought a new instrument in quite a few years. Most of my acquisitions have been used.

What was weird is that I thought this being Covid season, they would be willing to make deals, but all they are doing is 7% off + 8% store credit. There were no memorial day coupons and every time I've bought a more expensive item, they've given 15-30%, even without an actual coupon. Strange times. IDK if this is because of covid, or if over the past 5-10 years they have gotten more strict on discounts.

The BC Rich that I've been eyeing, says its in stock in MF/GC but when I called, they actually weren't in stock at MF, and the only ones GC have were floor models (probably returns). Im not entirely sold on it, especially not without a big discount, so I inquire about some Charvels and Jacksons. The ones I wanted most were.. out of stock. So then I'm looking through all the pages to see if anything is in stock that grabs me.. everything from Ibanez to Schecter. Nothing really jumps out. I'm kinda over Ibanez, although the Genesis RG is tempting.

Charvels... very little selection in DK24 with a floyd, and the color I wanted. out of stock.

Same with Jackson. And I'm asking myself, is it really a good idea to spend 1K on an indo built guitar? Looking closer, I see the neck is oiled, not satin and I'm not sure I would like that. And I dont like the hockey stick headstock being honest.

Shecters... honestly the body shapes are blunt, kinda like they are trying to to be less of a superstrat, and a little more like a doublecut. And wth, when did the sustainiac make a comback? I don't really want one of those.

Ibanez.. there are a couple bare bones models at 1500-1600 that might work, but they are in flat finishes, not sure I want that. And they have an edge trem.. rather have a floyd.

Solar? Cool guitars, but want something with a natural finish with detail, not just a solid color, and I would like fret markers.

At this point, I might consider a Jackson indo soloist or DK. They have a good selection of finishes, maybe the headstock would grow on me, idk.

2. GoldDragon

Also, didn't see anything ESP in my price range. Some nice LTDs, but I don't want to spend 1K for a "squire" or "epiphone" type off brand.

Also looking over used on ebay and reverb. Lots of "mint" at almost new prices on Charvels/Jacksons (no thanks). Not interested in Premium or below Ibanez, and a used Prestige at 1K, still really isn't a great deal imo, even if it was 2K new.

NOW I'm starting to understand why Kiesel is a thing.

3. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

It's funny I think there are actually a lot of good choices nowadays.

Schecter, they have a lot of different shapes, and their South Korean stuff is great. Sustainiac is not on a majority of guitars either.
    A lot of Ibanez Premium are actually pretty great too. Often nicer-looking and more solid finishes than the Prestiges btw.
    Jackson, their MiC or MiI has been questionable, but it looks like they are starting to produce some Dinky in South Korea- those might be nice.

The recent Charvel DK are solid too.
    But if the specific finish/color is an important aspect for you then yeah, like you said it leaves the elephant in the room...Kiesel. Will best any of the above guitars in terms of quality, and you can pick your looks... But then you gotta factor in the wait and many people may simply not want to deal with the company at all.

I do however relate with you on the discount/promo aspects.
    I have not seen very aggressive offers recently at big players like GC/Sweetwater, unlike let's say a couple of years ago. Except for a couple of one-offs for specific guitars that were likely overstocked (the Schecter KMs come to mind), "deals" are few and far between..

PS: why not an oiled neck? It's pretty much the best :) .

4. GoldDragon

I'm not sure about that. Korean guitars I've owned (one bass in particular) is excellent. I've read enough horror stories and the "no return" policy means I will never buy one.

Ive never played an oiled neck afaik. Maybe I thought it was satin.

5. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

How much do you want to spend?

6. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Just personal experience...but for me, over hundreds of guitars (not just a couple of data points), Kiesel is on average a good notch above South Korea/WMI type of stuff. And that's not to knock on the latter, they definitely make great instruments and I do in fact own both. It's just hard to judge without having tried.
    Return-wise- I won't rehash the other thread (we've done it enough :lol:), but you have it a bit backwards. They have one of the best return policies and 0 drama. Just don't order something specifically non-returnable (like 5% of options) and you'll avoid any issue.

But again, even with that qualification, they're still not for everyone- and just their antics and poor customer service when shit happens can 100% be reason enough to look elsewhere.
    If so, all the above are good choices. The only one I have not tried is a recent BC Rich... I'd be wary of the quality of what their newest stuff offers until there's more opinions in the wild...but it sure does look nice though.

Millul likes this.
  7. GoldDragon

Found a guitar I liked and I just placed an order at MF. He was willing to work 15%, plus I get the 8% cash back reward if I keep it for 45 days. I had to work a little bit, let him know another shop was doing 15%. He was cool about it. In the old days, you just had to ask for 15% or even 20%. Maybe its because I haven't bought much over the past five years.

I've never played a Kiesel so idk how it compares to a modern day mexi, indo, or sk. The threads and videos have scared me away.

8. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

You can't really go wrong with Korean guitars. At the worst, at least in my experience, they've been on-par with American guitars, and at best, they're even better than some of them. Indonesian isn't exactly a death sentence for a guitar either. My dad recently bought me an indo PRS for my birthday and that thing is damned flawless. Kiesel is a half-way decent option, especially if you talk to someone like Chris for your order and get standard non-op 50 options, but even the two guitars I purchased through them had some iffy quality issues. (Nothing deal-breaking to me, but still iffy quality... For what it's worth, my all time favorite guitar was actually one of said flawed instruments, so there's that.)

Schecter and Ibanez are my two current go-tos.

Amenthea and GoldDragon like this.
  9. GoldDragon

Yes, Ibanez are very cool. The only thing I dislike is on the lo pro and edge trems, they have a push in bar that you have to replace or reinstall bushings on a regular basis.

I hate how when you start out the bar is tight, but over time it gets progressively looser. I've heard there is a way to install a screw on bar; I will have to investigate that.

10. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

So why not start looking at guitars you would not normally look at? Do you need to have a floyd style trem? For that price and for a jackson/charvel superstrat that's actually pretty damn cool looking, I'd probably choose a Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder. The orange one is pretty good looking. If you still need a floyd but want something different, a PRS SE Floyd might be interesting. The Jackson soloist is a solid guitar. I have the X-Series (SLATXMGQ 3-6) and it's a ripping guitar.

If you're willing to forgo the floyd, there's a bunch of great options.

11. GoldDragon

I already ordered something, but those look great. Definitely wanted a floyd 6, this will be my main guitar and I just prefer a floyd even when I'm not using it.

The only hesitation on those schecters is that I wanted a guitar with a wood top; quilt, flame, burl, and the Floyd Rose special needs a block swap to sound good. Just didn't want to deal with that.

12. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I can feel you there. In a perfect world, I would've ordered one of these: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...r-e-1-fr-s-special-edition-trans-purple-burst

The only thing stopping me is that while I love the sustainiac, I already have a schecter 7 string with one. I prefer the sound of a humbucker in the neck for lead stuff, and those sound super-single coil-esq. (also, maybe not up your alley because it's an explorer.)

But a purple quilted explorer with 24 frets, 25.5" scale, an apocalypse bridge pickup and a floyd? Yes fucking please. I still might cave and get one some day, but I doubt they'll be around for too too long at this point. If it had an apocalypse set vs the bridge plus sustainiac in it, I would've bought it like 2 years ago. Make that bad boy 7 strings and add an inch to the scale (standard schecter 7 string scale) and it would probably be my "signature" guitar. I'd never put it down on looks alone. (even with the sustainiac.)

I own an aquaburst avenger with those specs, give or take some minor things, and it's one of my most played axes.

That's also something worth mentioning, Schecter pickups are pretty damn good. I forget what's in the bridge of the Avenger, but I love it. I owned a six string apocalypse set and I loved those too. Schecter in general is a great company as far as their products go.

13. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

It's a pretty easy mod to remove the the bar insert and replace it with an insert for the OFR so you can use its screw in bar. There's a thread here about how to do so somewhere in the Luthiery, modifications and Customizations subforum.

GoldDragon likes this.
  14. GoldDragon

I went with something more in my wheelhouse, but that does look great. I always said my next guitar would be a dean ML, but I went with a superstrat.

One cool thing about that explorer shape, that I never realized before is that there is alot of wood behind the bridge. I play in classical position when seated, so that would put the fretboard farther left, and give my left hand better access to upper frets. Might have to try one of those. I think the ML horns would get in the way when sitting (but hey, they dont need a guitar stand!)

Ive never played a sustainiac, but I guess with chords it might almost be synth like.

15. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

I don't know how different an Ibby trem is, but I changed out the socket on the JT-6 for a OFR one, and it was pretty damn easy.

https://www.fretsonthenet.com/Materials_Tutorials_BCRich/jt6 floyd bar tutorial.htm

16. Niccho

Niccho SS.org Regular

Doesn't all schecters in ~1000-something price range have FR 1500. It has the same 32 zinc (I think) block as FR1000, which every other FR guitar in this price range has?
    I personally prefer the overall feel of the Edge Pro and the Lo-Pro though.

So what did you get?

17. AxRookie

AxRookie Aspiring Expert

No rush, take your time to find a great guitar, and chose wisely...