-Buying a guitar with Rosewood --CITES HELP with import

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by whosdealin, Mar 30, 2019.

1. whosdealin

whosdealin SS.org Regular

Hey Fellas , I'm buying a used guitar on Reverb that was built before 2017 that has an Indian Rosewood fretboard , I am in the U.S. and It will be shipped to me from the seller in Switzerland. The seller is very responsive but we are not sure about all the regulations, He is willing to go through the process to get an export permit but we do not know if I need an import permit.

The seller thinks I do not because we are dealing with Indian rosewood and not Brazilian , I cant find enough information online so far. Has anyone gone through this already and can shed some light on what I need to do if anything ? I dont want the guitar getting held up or confiscated by customs .

:)

2. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I have the same question about a guitar built in '96 that's in the Netherlands and haven't been able to get answers.

3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

If I am not mistaken you now need a permit for all Dalbergia species.

I was about to sell a guitar pre-2017 with a rosewood board to a US store last year and they had to turn it down due to cites.

4. snowblind56

snowblind56 SS.org Regular

Contact the US Fish and Wildlife Service. I emailed them and they were very helpful. Fairly quick to respond also. They will tell you all the forms that are needed and the processes and surprisingly there was little confusion on their part.