Buying a guitar with a slight neck twist?

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
-A local music store has a 2012 Ibanez SR1200E bass with hard case for $600 Canadian. ($460 USD)
-The neck has a slight twist. The tech said that with a capo on the first fret and holding down the last fret the clearance on the bass side is 0.1" and on the treble side roughly 0.08" or so. The tech says he wouldn't consider it officially 'twisted' because the difference isn't overly great and it doesn't seem to be causing any buzz on any frets.
-The only thing I can notice is that on the bass side the first 3-4 frets feel a little different when fretting but not uncomfortably so, just different (slightly more pressure to fret them because they are angled more towards me)

Do you think its worth the risk of purchasing this instrument?
Will things likely get worse, or are things likely to have stabilized at this point for a 10 year old bass?

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For that price, I'd probably risk it. :2c:
Thanks Max! You're the best.

Buying it definitely worries me but so long as the neck doesn't shift any more then its a wicked good deal. I'm hoping it wont considering it has the KTS Titanium rods in the neck.

The tech said he wouldn't consider it to officially have a 'twist' based on his measurements--do you think that's a fair assessment? (obviously you don't have the guitar in front of you so that makes things difficult)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's hard to say without having it on hand.

Is this an "as is" sort of thing or will the shop take it back within a given time frame if it gets worse?

We're only talking a ~.02" (~ 1/2mm) variance, and depending on how close that is, and how exactly it was measured, I'm inclined to believe it's a minor twist. That's easy enough to correct with minor fretwork, at least for the time being.

As far as it getting worse, again, it's hard to say. In my experience after that many years that's usually all these types of necks will move, but there will always be exceptions.

Price seems alright, so if you think the shop isn't trying to fuck you, it's probably something I'd go ahead and buy, but I'm usually in the minority when it comes to diving into issues like this.

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's hard to say without having it on hand.

Is this an "as is" sort of thing or will the shop take it back within a given time frame if it gets worse?

We're only talking a ~.02" (~ 1/2mm) variance, and depending on how close that is, and how exactly it was measured, I'm inclined to believe it's a minor twist. That's easy enough to correct with minor fretwork, at least for the time being.

As far as it getting worse, again, it's hard to say. In my experience after that many years that's usually all these types of necks will move, but there will always be exceptions.

Price seems alright, so if you think the shop isn't trying to fuck you, it's probably something I'd go ahead and buy, but I'm usually in the minority when it comes to diving into issues like this.

To my understanding I can return it within a given time frame. The shop is not the kind that would intentionally try to screw customers.

I went ahead and ordered the bass and had them check it in for its 'free setup' so I can get it setup in the tuning (Drop C#) and with the string gauge I plan on using for it (50-110 RotoSound). They said they're behind and the turn around time is 4 weeks so I wont be getting it for awhile I guess, but I figured I might as well get it in the configuration I plan to keep it in and make sure it plays well and stays stable in that tuning/string gauge.

found the previous owner on facebook marketplace and these were his pics [for fun]:

277407473_5263508553670543_8354363166968089206_n.png
276029673_8243157395710216_1489458041110636281_n.jpg
275900849_3702796139844962_129829646482672578_n.jpg
277294523_4687559571356180_8118738273542702244_n.jpg

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I fucking love MIJ Ibanez basses. All the corners they cut on their guitars seem to go to their basses. I haven't tried one that wasn't fantastic.

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I fucking love MIJ Ibanez basses. All the corners they cut on their guitars seem to go to their basses. I haven't tried one that wasn't fantastic.
This one is actually an early Premium model from 2012 (I think Premium's started in 2010/2011?)
I decided to take it home while waiting for the tech's 4 week waiting period. I haven't been able to test electronics but it plays awesome. Neck twist doesn't appear to be that bad once the truss rod was tightened (it had tons of relief before). Overall its looking great so far!!

@MaxOfMetal
FVqXH7HWQAALiyz

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
This one is actually an early Premium model from 2012 (I think Premium's started in 2010/2011?)
I decided to take it home while waiting for the tech's 4 week waiting period. I haven't been able to test electronics but it plays awesome. Neck twist doesn't appear to be that bad once the truss rod was tightened (it had tons of relief before). Overall its looking great so far!!

@MaxOfMetal
FVqXH7HWQAALiyz

Oh, didn't know. It looks extremely similar to the 1200 MIJ ones, but now that I think of it I believe those had black hardware.

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a decent deal . I'd go for it . Ibanez makes stable stuff and my used BTB is my favorite bass I own . I don't ever have to mess with the truss rod or anything so once you can get it where you like , I'm pretty sure you'll be fine .

You can always use it as a beater / practice bass too if it starts bugging you but unless it's buzzing non stop and you just can't get it to work , 0.1 is essentially nothing if you can save some cash .

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's a decent deal . I'd go for it . Ibanez makes stable stuff and my used BTB is my favorite bass I own . I don't ever have to mess with the truss rod or anything so once you can get it where you like , I'm pretty sure you'll be fine .

You can always use it as a beater / practice bass too if it starts bugging you but unless it's buzzing non stop and you just can't get it to work , 0.1 is essentially nothing if you can save some cash .
I grabbed it and so far its great. Plays really well so far. I still have to plug it in and adjust the action a bit lower but no issues at the moment!

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Friend of mine had one of those (probably a lower model) but also had a neck twist diagnosed. Never caused any issues, and never got any worse over the decade since he was told.
Gorgeous bass.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Can necks be straightened with heat still or is that a risky repair?

Our local luthier advertises it as a $100 job, but I thought it was much more involved.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can necks be straightened with heat still or is that a risky repair?

Our local luthier advertises it as a $100 job, but I thought it was much more involved.

I'd say it's about a 60/40, where is usually does something, but doesn't always fix it. It's a tedious job, and I usually don't bother unless it's a last resort.

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say it's about a 60/40, where is usually does something, but doesn't always fix it. It's a tedious job, and I usually don't bother unless it's a last resort.
Don't they just clamp it down and bake it or something like that ? Can't exactly get a torch and heat it up like you're trying to bend pipe or something .

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't they just clamp it down and bake it or something like that ? Can't exactly get a torch and heat it up like you're trying to bend pipe or something .

Depends.

You need to use enough heat to make the neck more pliable, but not too hot to damage the finish, binding, glue seams, frets, or inlay. Then manage the time and cool down as to not cause damage either.

It's an easy enough concept, but you can easily fuck a lot of stuff up, and again, there's no guarantee it's going to work when said and done.