Buying a custom guitar, need input

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lifewaster, Nov 24, 2018.

1. lifewaster

lifewaster Member

Hey guys!

First post here and as stated in the title, I'm looking into ordering a custom made (6-string) guitar from one of the following companies based in Europe during their Black Friday campaign:

Skervesen Guitars (12% off)
    Blackat Guitars (10% off)
    Overload Guitars (10% off)

Do any of you guys have any experiences with the above companies? Do you own a guitar built by them? How's the quality? How was the communication? How long did you have to wait? Where there any issues?

What I'm looking for is a headless model, preferably with a neck-through option. Blackat only has bolt on, but they are on the other hand the only builder that offers a tremolo option which would be nice. So neck through isn't a must. The guitar is going to be played in E standard/Drop D and soundwise it's going to be used for both "modern" metal and classic heavy metal. I'm 99% set on a set of Fishman Fluence Modern pickups in the guitar.

PS. I might consider ordering a Kiesel Vader since I know they are both neck-through and have a tremolo option. The downside with Kiesel is import taxes (+25%), fees and (probably) more expensive shipping.

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm probably not going to be too helpful, but I think it's a good idea to not let a current sale guide your decision. It sounds like you haven't totally nailed-down what you want. 10% off a guitar you didn't think-through is not a bargain.

fps, Jujex, ikarus and 2 others like this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

don't order custom unless your needs can't be met with production models (ie strandberg/used kiesels).

4. lifewaster

lifewaster Member

Haha, yeah I know that it might sound like I'm jumping into this a bit headlessly (pun intended) but I've been thinking about this for the last year and I'm basically 80% sure of the specifications I want, it's more about hearing peoples opinions about the three companies :)

Also 10-12% might not sound much, but since I've more or less made up my mind about wanting to order a guitar I feel like I might as well save 300-400 EUR :)

5. lifewaster

lifewaster Member

I do kind of agree with you.
    The problem with Strandbergs is that I think they look a bit bland and boring. I prefer some nice colored top on my guitar and the production ones just don't do it for me.
    Also used/second hand Kiesel guitars are hard to come by in Sweden. Might be some on Reverb though. At the same time, the feeling of unboxing something totally new is almost priceless :)

6. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

A good rule of thumb is that is you have to ask about ordering a custom guitar, you're not ready to order a custom guitar.

the internet seems to be full of guys who have had either completely terrible or utterly brilliant experiences with things, read as much as you can and make up your own mind instead of soliciting opinions from people who are only going to come in here to give you a pre-biased opinion....

Like I just did...

budda likes this.
  7. lifewaster

lifewaster Member

Hahaha. Just like you did indeed :)

Do you have any tips in what forum I should look around for information regarding said companies? I've tried searching around here but haven't really found much. And in their respective Facebook group, everyone is happy and everything is awesome...

8. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Skervesen does good work these days, I've seen nothing but lovely guitars from them the past few years. Can't speak to Blackat or Overload. A Mayones Hydra might also fit the bill for you, if you're not 100% married to having a neck-through, and those can be found in stock all over the place.

lifewaster likes this.
  9. dmlinger

dmlinger SS.org Regular

To answer OP's question - of those 3, I'd choose Shervesen. Good track record of late.

10. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Yes (Skervesen). Yes. Great. Great, might depend on your expectations. 10 months. No.

lifewaster likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Choosing a builder based on Black Friday sales.

What a time to be alive.

steinmetzify and Samark like this.
  12. lifewaster

lifewaster Member

Haha, as I've said earlier, I've been in the market and looking for over a year so you can take it easy buddy.

Basically, my standpoint is this, at one point I would want to own at least one guitar from each company, so now I'm asking for peoples experiences with the companies. Black Friday discounts are just a bonus.

13. lifewaster

lifewaster Member

Thanks for the input!

What model do/did you own? I'm basically thinking of a Shoggie, preferably the neck through variant since I like the shape more than the Skerveten.

14. MaxOfMetal

I'm not your buddy, guy.

15. lifewaster

lifewaster Member

I'm not your guy, friend.

zappatton2 and budda like this.
  16. MaxOfMetal

I'm not your friend, pal.

Get a Skerv. They have more experience than the other two, and most recent builds seem to have gone off without a hitch. I've only played a couple older ones (2014/2015), they were good. Not amazing, but good. Supposedly they've gotten better.

17. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I'd go with Skerv for reputation.

However I have played a Blackat and it was pretty nice, though they did go MIA for what seems like years now so that's questionable.

Not heard much about Overload at all.

18. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Yesss crowdsourcing your custom is the best way to be on seven string.

Followed by buying a Chinese knockoff and spending thousands upgrading it.

So I have 2 skervesens and really like them.

Also skervesen will absolutely build you a headless multiscale neckthrough guitar with a tremolo.

It’s gonna be like 4000 euros but they’ll do it.

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Alternatively if you are in the eu there are custom shop strandbergs on the eu Strandberg site right now.

Neckthrough. Fancy wood. Terms. 3-400 euros.

Might be all gone. They were put up 3-4 days ago.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

overload makes good guitars ime. Can't really comment on their headless model but my rhea 8 is very good for the money and more than holds up to my other custom guitars. I've heard they've only improved the overall craftmanship since mine was made. Personallly I'd go that route since skerv has kind of gone insane with their pricing recently.