Bunks First Build.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bunkatronic, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Bunkatronic

Bunkatronic SS.org Regular

Hi everyone,

So after a break from my initial build and an evaluation of all of the problems I’ve had with that particular body I’ve decided to shelve the telecaster build for the minute. I feel like I really didn’t start the build well by using the body blank I already had, I feel like the inconsistencies that were brought into the build by modifying it for a seven string really affected the end product. I’m really happy with the neck and I’ll definitely keep that for the next build when I go back to attempting a tele 7.

So! I’ve started a new build totally from scratch this time. I can probably already hear the groans (hehehe) but I’ve decided to make myself a B7-ish clone, I was in a band for about 10 years with the guy who had a genuine six string black machine and I just always loved the look and feel of that guitar plus there are a few forum members who have built them to very high Standards so a invaluable resource should I need it. I’ll never be able to afford an original so I thought I’d just build my own. I purchased a two piece Square Alder blank and two premade laminate neck blanks from someone called Jim Nurse (not sure if any members here know him?) the blanks feel really well made and with carbon rods strengthening I think either will do a great job. The guitar will only have a single bridge pick and single volume pot so I’ve ordered a bareknuckle juggernaut in rusted camo with Black pole pieces.

Over the past three days I’ve glued body together, added the flame laminate, cut the whole thing out and routed the rear contour and binding channel. The top will be stained black and then oiled and the back of the guitar will be oiled too for simplicity.

I have a birds eye maple fretboard and a Richlite black fretboard blank on the way. I’m not 100% sure which combination of neck and fretboard to use but either way it’ll be bound with a flame veneer on the headstock. The neck blanks are ash/wenge and salpelle/idigbo. What would you lot go for?

Overall I’m already way happier with the quality of everything on this body and think that the simpler build will mean a much nicer finished piece. (If there’s any way to change the title of this thread to “Bunks Builds” could you let me know so I can keep every in one place?)

2. Bunkatronic

Hey Everyone! It's been a long, very busy half of the year for me so I've only just gotten around to posting an update. So I managed to get everything to the point that I thought i'd be finished and onto set-up today. I used richlite for the fretboard which feels great and finishes up very nicely. Ivoroid for the binding. I ordered a Bareknuckle Juggernaut 7 along with a BKP volume pot. Basically a simple chug machine is what i'm going for. Unfortunately Whilst hammering a fret in the epoxy has completely given up! After this initial bit cracked it was really easy to pop a chisel in the gap and crack the whole fretboard off with no damage to the neck or back side of the fretboard. To me it looks like I didn't mix the epoxy correctly, There's been too much temperature variation in my workshop OR the richlite is to smooth for the epoxy to grip so i've reprepped both surfaces, keyed up the back of the fretboard and glued the whole thing back on. Hopefully this will work, the two parts mated back together perfectly so fingers crossed.

IMG-0773.JPG
    IMG-3258.JPG

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    IMG-3254.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

Absolute savage looking chug machine. verrrrryyyy nice.....

Bunkatronic likes this.
  4. Bunkatronic

Thank you mate :) praying the fretboard issue is fixed and I can complete this!

5. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

I had that issue with richlite & titebond (org) for me it was when i was doing the first string/tuneup on a multiscale headless 7 string,altered the trussrod and pop the thing had just come away mid neck,took it off cleaned it down & used some 80 grit to give the glue something to grab and used some fast set epoxy, i later removed the board (because it just felt dead) and replaced it with a nice ziricote board.

Killer looking build btw.

6. Bunkatronic

Whew! Some holiday from work has meant I finally got to test fit everything together and do an initial carve of the nut (first time I've ever done one so I was shitting it to say the least and have been on the light side with the filing for sure)

Here's the result! Putting it together and feeling it as a fully playable instrument has highlighted so many things I want to tweak with the neck before I call it fully finished (including the visible glue on the nut) . I did get a huge sense of pride stringing it up though, hence the post. Once 100% totally finished I'll post a youtube clip for tone, intonation critique etc.
    unnamed (10).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg

7. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Really nice job! Great headstock shape, I hate the original BM one...

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Looks great!

Is that the Grainger Bridge? How is it?

9. Bunkatronic

Thanks so much :) Yeah I'm not a fan either, much prefer this type, feels a lot more solid too!

Yes it is. It's really well made and the chap who runs Grainger is incredibly helpful. I lost screws twice for the bridge when i had it disassembled (like and idiot) and twice he sent me replacements free of charge.

DancingCloseToU, Solodini and cip 123 like this.
  10. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

That looks tidy. Good job!