Bunks First Build.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bunkatronic, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Bunkatronic

Bunkatronic SS.org Regular

First day back after being in Germany all Christmas. Managed to get my fret board done and radiused, the birdseye should show up nice after an oiling! This is the third fret board blank after ruining two so i'm very happy this one has gone to plan. Also roughly re- thicknessed the headstock as I realised it was almost 4mm too thick doh!

Almost ready for neck gluing, test assembly and finishing!

[​IMG]

2. Bunkatronic

Neck carved, a brief test fit to make sure everything lines up properly (it does, woooo)

[​IMG]
    I re-bound the fret board so its much neater and have now bound the head stock too which I’m really liking the look of. I didn’t realise until I stained it that there was a little bit of adhesive residue that sanding hadn’t got rid of so I’ll have to sand back the head stock and re-stain ...doh!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My real major issue, which I’m actually quite annoyed myself at because it’s a lack of forethought on my part is that when I filled the burl top with epoxy I didn’t think about the black stain and didn’t tint the epoxy so there are big patches where the stain won’t adhere to the clear epoxy. I’m thinking I’ll have to paint over the ones that really stick out with something before I clear coat. Also I’ve found burl really hard to work with. Seems like it needs re-filling each time it’s sanded. At least i know for next time I use a Burl.

[​IMG]

3. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

Looks really nice man good job! I almost kinda like the epoxy spots. Looks like a weathered guitar instead of a printe

Bunkatronic and Solodini like this.
  4. KR250

KR250 Build addict

Super clean for a first build. Best bet for epoxy type stuff is mixing in some sawdust or dye to color it if you are putting colors direct on the wood. If you are doing color after sealer coats, make sure to do plenty.

Bunkatronic likes this.
  5. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

upload_2019-1-16_11-37-2.jpeg
    The light spots just make me think of the album art of Cynic's "Traced in Air" album. :)

6. Defyantly

If you have a spare piece of burl left you could try doing the epoxy and stain and then see what it looks like with finish on it.

Bunkatronic likes this.
  7. Bunkatronic

Thanks for the kind words you lot :) maybe I’m being too picky about it, I’m going to finish it with the colour imperfections, focus on getting it playing and sounding really good and just chalk it up to experience. Lessons learned on this have already made me excited thinking about my next build haha.

Solodini, KR250 and Defyantly like this.
  8. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Very nice,has almost a buckeye burl vibe,can't wait to see it pop with some clear

Bunkatronic likes this.
  9. Bunkatronic

Small update but I finished the neck totally today and put on a coat of sealer. Look at that stain! Excited to finished the body now.

unnamed (6).jpg

10. Bunkatronic

I'm up to 10 clearcoats using nitro on the headstock and 8 on the body. I rubbed the headstock back lightly after coat 5 and it seems to have taken out the visible Wenge grain now. There are a few visible pits on the burl top. Not sure if I should rub back coat 10 and do another 10 light coats before polishing or just spray some clear into the cap, drop fill the pits and then rub back before polishing? also interesting how it look SO different in different lighting.
    unnamed.jpg unnamed (5).jpg

IGC, J_Mac, Rattlehead83 and 3 others like this.
  11. Defyantly

Beautiful finish!

Bunkatronic likes this.
  12. Bunkatronic

Thank you man, i'm really happy with it, especially considering how bummed out i was initially.

rikomaru and Defyantly like this.
  13. Bunkatronic

Neck Finished, just needs a nut! unnamed (2).jpg

14. Defyantly

Love that flame on the back of the neck!

15. Catalyst Collide

Catalyst Collide SS.org Regular

That looks KILLER!

16. Bunkatronic

Thank you mate, although a weird thing has happened, I went to America for two weeks and now i'm back I checked the finish and everything has thousands of tiny cracks over it. Not sure if my house had a really sudden temp drop while I was away or possibly I put the finish on too thick but i'll have to sand back and start from scratch :( thinking I might possibly just go for an oil finish now, nitro is starting to seem a bit above my skill level.

17. Catalyst Collide

Catalyst Collide SS.org Regular

Aww man, what a bummer. I've had that happen to me when painting motorcycle parts. It's such a kick in the nuts. The finish you had on it looked amazing.

18. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

George lynch knows how you feel ;) kinda bizzare that other ppl pay £100's to get that split nitro effect even on new guitars!

19. Bunkatronic

Haha, So basically I asked my uncle who was house sitting if the heating had worked ok and he told me he’d shut the heating off and took my dog to his house. So I think it would been a sudden plummet in temperature that’s caused it haha. Rub back and oil finish it is!

20. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

That explains it.

Man if you did that where I live you'd have all your pipes freezing and bursting.