Bumblebee caps in a solid state?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Soubi7string, May 20, 2011.

1. Soubi7string

Soubi7string 3d printer go brrrrrrrrr

so me and my friend are making his dinky little Marshall MG15 into an amp head and I think to myself "how would it sound with some bumblebee caps in it?" and I recall them giving some AWESOME tone in guitars.We're wanting to put some in his little amp just to do it.Anyone have any clue on how many we'll need,where they would go in the amp, or what to expect?

2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I think I know what the reaction to this gunna be but here goes.

Different types of capacitor do not sound different. The reason bumblebee capacitors appear to sound better is because of thei value and because they're made to such a tight tolerance. Most common caps have 5-25% tolerances meaning the actual value you get could be the difference between sitting out of the usable frequency range when the tone knob's on full and cutting a big chunk out of your mix.

A capacitor is a capacitor is a capacitor, they all have the same impedance, 1/jwC, and the value of capacitance is the only thing that matters. The differences between materials only affect noise (ceramic caps are particularly prone to noise), price and tolerance.

To answer your question, it would be utterly pointless.

I expect people to argue with me now, but I'm hoping any fellow electrical/electronic engineers might be able to back me up...

It's true though, not 'my opinion', fact :lol:

3. Bradd

Bradd SS.org Regular

spot on there mate.

a capacitor is a capacitor. a greencap with 100nanofarads and a ceramic with 100nanofarads are going to do the same job. however as u said, the tolerances can be different in them, albeit, not by a damn lot tho.

Im no engineer, i just sell the shit, and it frustrates the shit out of me when people ask me for a "capacitor for their guitar". I just say, um yeah, any more info for me? fuckwit? :p

4. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

5. Bradd

Bradd SS.org Regular

oh dear jesus. please dont show this to any of my customers :lol:

6. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Hi Fi systems don't have pickups (any variety of such) with a capacitance, inductance and resistance. Tone caps also feed a 250k-1M pot, a poor tolerance pot with a parasitic capacitance at that.
    A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and while I still feel that article is a little smoke-and-mirrorish in parts, it's a totally different application.

Similarly with the dude's MG, weakest link and all that. I can't see this mechanical resonance thing having an audible impact. I would ask my circuit analysis professor but I'd fear for my life for asking what e would consider such a ridiculous question :lol:

7. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Just to add, in the case of guitars I've found the best way to get a capacitor is to buy a bag of non ceramic (tend to get noisy) caps that should be About the value you want and just keep trying them.

Surprisingly it is electrical tolerances that account for more of the variation in sound between two of the same guitar than anything else.

I know it's not relevant to the OP (sorry) but since we're on the subject of capacitors :lol:

8. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I think this falls into a "True, but so what" category.

Yes, there are no ideal components, so every capacitor will have some resistance and some inductance. So, every real capacitor will actually act as some kind of a mini-RLC network and not a pure capacitor

Also, these parameter may not even be constant over the full range of operating parameters. This will introduce some non-linearities in the response.

The end result is that different brand/type capacitors will indeed have different responses over the entire range of operational parameters. Will this actually produce any audible differences, more often than not: NO. I think a lot of the "improvements" that people hear can be chalked-up to: wishful thinking, other changes made at the same time, better solder joints, the variations in actual parameters of the new component + the variations in the actual parameters in all of the other components now hit some sweet spot, etc.

Ray

9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

waste of money.

10. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Return of the Dread-I

Aside for the scientific reasons that this will prove futile, why would you ever bother spending any kind of money modding something you refer to as "dinky little ___"? Seems to imply there's something else you could be spending your :2c: on...

Just my :2c:

11. Rook

Rook Electrifying

If there was a "love" button, I'd be abusing it.

Just YES.

12. Soubi7string

Soubi7string 3d printer go brrrrrrrrr

for fun =D

13. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Fun is setting it on fire and dropping it down the stairs while playing it, not taking your time and money to make it still crap.