Building a 2X12

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Chris Bowsman, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

I think I'd like to build a 2X12 cabinet. I've done plenty of woodworking, but never anything like a speaker cabinet where the construction is anything other than structural or aesthetic.

I'm intending to use plywood, and would like to make it have a removable back, or at least have a removable partition.

Anybody built their own and have any advice or warnings?

2. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain

My brother and I each built our own 2x12.

I would recommend picking up some cheap or reclaimed ply specifically for practicing whatever joint method you choose. Personally, we went for rabet and dado. The holy grail for cabs is dove tail but it’s a little trickier. I honestly couldn’t tell you how much of a difference there is in stability between the two because my cab is seemingly indestructible.

Another thing to consider is how you plan on covering your cab. If you are just gonna clear coat the wood, more power to ya. I’ve no experience with tolex or carpet on cabs but I’ve heard it can be frustrating at first. I opted for brush on bed liner. I actually never got around to applying it but it seems like the perfect utilitarian cover.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  3. neotronic

neotronic SS.org Regular

Depends on your skill. Generally any properly executed joint is going to be stronger than poorly done dowel joint. I've built few cabs and used dowel joints and glue for sake of simplicity - I am not a woodworker. Can't really imagine what I'd had to do to the cab to make it come loose.

4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Yes

Use decent voidless ply, don't use cheap thin crap, more plies is better, brace everything and screw-and-glue if you use simple joinery, buy used speakers to keep costs down and because you'll get better stuff that way

PS dowels?? Tell me you're fukcing kidding

5. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Came here hoping for 2x12 strings ... =)

Winspear likes this.
  6. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

7. ptxxx

ptxxx SS.org Regular

Until I bought a router, the speaker holes were a nightmare. All i had was a jigsaw, some files and sandpaper. A router with a circle cutting template makes life way easier. You can make a great, sturdy cab with butt joints, just use plenty of wood glue, and orient the sides of the cab underneath the top, and on top of the bottom of your cab, and glue in some bracing to the corners. Again, plenty of glue. Don't want that thing to rattle like crazy when you crank up your amp. Birch plywood is great. I really like number 2 pine for 2x12s and smaller cabs, with a birch baffle. Oh, and use a table saw. Much easier to get perfectly straight cuts. If you don't have access to a table saw, a level and some clamps will work pretty good.