Builders with the same/higher quality as/than suhr/TA

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Bassnguitar, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Bassnguitar

Bassnguitar SS.org Regular

welp sorry I didn't realize they don't have a Hydra 8. I'm willing to wait 1-2 years.

re: neck profile. I'm ok with something around 0.78" to 0.82", D or C profile.

2. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

i've not been able to play any of the high end stuff like Suhr or TA. all honesty most expensive high end guitar I played was a used EBMM JP back in 2007 and it was a great guitar. Of recent note only a PRS S2 custom 24 which felt as solid as any guitar I've ever played. Kiesel seems to build stuff of nice quality, don't know if they are Suhr/TA level or not in terms of fit and finish though. As far as other builders I've recently seen that do amazing quality work, Valenti Guitars and Vandermeij are 2 that I've followed a lot recently that make KILLER looking instruments. Lepsky, LSL, Carillion, and TW Smith are the other smaller builders that I can think of that seem to put out high quality custom builds.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

If you want a high quality 8 string headless then get an Aristides.

If you want a full custom then I can highly recommend Carillion. Chris’s guitars are incredible.

brandonwall, Ben Pinkus and AxeHappy like this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Agreed. For reference, it took something like 4 months to get my Kiesel Aries AM7 and 12 months for my Skervesen Shoggie 8. Kiesel was right on the mark and Skervesen about 3 months past the initlal estimate.

Skervesen offered things like custom finish options and overall build quality is higher on it. However I had to replace the volume and tone pots on them because their taper was not good with almost all volume lost between 10-7 and on the tone pot the opposite, almost no change until 3-0. So minus points to Skervesen for that, even though some of that is personal preference. They did ship me new pots and a wiring diagram and it works fine now. I was not overly fond with how tightly wired it was because it made replacing the pots a pain. It looks very neat but is not practical for repairs.

The Kiesel AM7 has a few minor cosmetic issues and I got a small refund for those. It is extremely well built where it counts and plays like butter. Having heard about Kiesels custom finish blunders I stuck with stock options here and it paid off well. If you are in the US this might be a good way to go if you like any of their models.

5. SCJR

SCJR SS.org Regular

Collings?

6. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

I wouldn’t ever put kiesel in the same sentence as Suhr. They make great guitars but Suhr, Tom Anderson, luxxtone are next level. You can’t even compare them. I’ve owned 5 kiesels(even more Carvins) and all of them are gone. They played just fine but the pickups lacked life and character. The last few kiesels I owned had lithium pickups. The Suhrs were made incredibly well, played fantastic and sounded amazing

7. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

If you're looking for stuff with a similar vibe/quality to Suhr/TA:

Schecter USA
    ESP USA
    Friedman/Luxtone/Tyler

If you're looking at high end 7/8 strings (which is what I think you're asking):
    Aristides - very solid quality and quick turnaround for a custom
    Mayones/Skervesen - long turn around times (over a year iirc)
    Carillion - incredible guitars, but wait list for a build slot
    Vandermeij - great guitars, but decent wait times 9-12 months

Few other names who I know less about
    Maslow
    Barlow

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

"Pickups lack life and character" is incredibly subjective. Sometimes a good pickup is a bad fit for a particular guitar too. I have guitars with Fender, Suhr, Seymour Duncan, Wolfetone, Vintage Vibe, Mastertone, Bare Knuckle and G&L pickups. I also have a guitar with Kiesel Lithiums. They are all good.

To me the Kiesel Lithiums are the kind of thing that I can see not everyone is going to love. I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with them at first until I figured out that trying to make them sound closer to my other guitars was just stupid and they should be enjoyed for what they do have going on. They have a dip in the low mids and are extremely bright. That makes the tone control on my AM7 very powerful and the less low mids helps them cut through and have a more airy quality to their sound for cleaner tones. I think they work great for say funk cleans and very high gain distortion whereas there are pickups that do low to mid gain tones better. It's also easy to use an EQ to beef up the low mids a bit and it just so happens my Bogner's "Gain EQ" knob kind of does that too so I just turn that up when using the Kiesel to get it sounding how I like.

As for guitars themselves, I thoroughly enjoy my 2015 Kiesel and 2010 Carvin (bought used). They fit me very well and I love playing both.

9. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

makes total sense. Then again, some days I love my time and sometimes not so much.

10. yuri_1973

yuri_1973 Romantic Shredder

Vigier are IMHO the best.
    Second best, I'd say Aristides.

I've had Tom Andersons, Suhrs, Skervesens, USA Hamers and Carvin/Kiesels, and some other high end stuff, ... As said before by another member earlier in this thread, at this level of workmanship and price tag, it's hard to find any flaws or things to complain. However ... the inherent stability on Vigiers (and to some extent also Aristides), based on how they're constructed, make them superior to all others.

CerealKiller and jco5055 like this.
  11. octavedivider808

octavedivider808 SS.org Regular

I was thinking of this thread or thinking while I was reading and figured I’d put in a suggestion. Barlow is a magnificent builder. Not only does he make unreal guitars but can also wind some of the meanest pickups. I’ve had the pleasure of owning one of his creations and let me say they are all sick!!! Just my opinion since I too like boutique guitars, effects and etc

12. camaroeric

camaroeric θάλλ

If you want something really different, Todd Keehn of TK Instruments. A buddy of mine has 4 or 5 of his now. You have to be a fan of raw wood though.

[​IMG]

jco5055 likes this.