Build no.6 - Bocote Multiscale 6

dankarghh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally gotten around to making my first multiscale. The main draw back had been availability of pickups and hardware previously, but I finally got everything together.

Fenji and myself have been working on one each

So;

27-25.5 mutiscale
Black bound ebony fretboard
2 piece alder body
5 piece maple/rosewood neck
SFTY3 Humbucker and matched single coil on neck
Korean made single bridges with hipshot saddles
Jin-ho locking tuners
3 way toggle

Ethan at instrumental pickups is awesome and I highly recommend him for all your angled pickup needs.

Much of the work is done besides fretting/neck carve/finish.

Anyway, here we go..

Wood;

9t1vfd.jpg

znla29.jpg

ixb14n.jpg

Bound top:

1237hp0.jpg

Rough back carve:

24pfm7r.jpg

fe2fb7.jpg

And this is where i'm at now:

10oju6c.jpg

warped

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow - looking great, and way ahead of me! The top looks really cool. Quick Question - do you use fret tang nippers, or just your normal fret nippers and file when you prep your frets for bound fretboards?

dankarghh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wow - looking great, and way ahead of me! The top looks really cool. Quick Question - do you use fret tang nippers, or just your normal fret nippers and file when you prep your frets for bound fretboards?

Fret tang nippers were one of the first things I bought -I felt kinda stupid afterwards because its such a niche tool for such a small part of the job, but after fretting a whole guitar in what felt like half an hour the other day - I would say they are very much worthwhile. They make an otherwise tedious job (I presume) really simple and quick :)

Hurry up and build!

fenji

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
incredible, such luthiery. very amazing, so good crafty. much impressed.

dankarghh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Went to install saddles and drill string through holes yesterday. Much to my horror the bridge didn't line up with the holes I had marked out and drilled using my templates.

157134l.jpg

You can see the front mounting holes are perfect and the rear holes are not. Re-measured and at this point was pretty annoyed -if i had to move the bridge placement now the string alignment would be off..

2r5am87.jpg

Then I found the culprit. I no longer recommend these bestparts saddles. Admittedly should have taken it into account and noticed earlier. I'll just trim them up with the dremel so they sit nicely this time. They have a big bulge in the back.

219cih5.jpg

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Wow, that is most unfortunate. I guess the clamping part of the machine that bends the baseplates applied too much pressure and flattened the piece a little so it bulges out.

thinkpad20

plays guitar??
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Instrumental pickups, but looking at their facebook page they have some lovely looking items. I'll keep them in mind for my upcoming custom! :)

dankarghh

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd never heard of Instrumental pickups, but looking at their facebook page they have some lovely looking items. I'll keep them in mind for my upcoming custom! :)

Couldn't recommend Ethan at instrumental highly enough. Do some googling of shootout comparisons - I see no need to be spending silly amounts on bareknuckles anymore.

IGC

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awww man, looking forward to see the finish of this build! I have a sweet bocote board I plan on book matching for something similar. :yesway: