Build me a good computer for Recording.

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Fiction, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I think I could manage putting together a computer, if not. I have a hardware savvy grand-dad/uncle that could, but thought I'd also ask here about what parts I should be getting for it.

I'm after a high quality recording computer, at the moment I'm tossing up between Audio Engineering as a career path, or going down a Software Developing path, either way i need a new computer.

My budget is $1000 Australian which is roughly $1075 US.

I want at least 8Gb Ram and a Quad core i7 Processor. But theres so many different i7s giving the same 'Ghz' which i'm not too sure the differences in each. I have no idea about motherboards, how much cooling I need, and Graphics Card onboard is fine, if need be I can upgrade at a later date.

Also, Links to website to buy this keeping in mind newegg does not ship to Aus (unless its changed in the last 6 months):wallbash:

2. dacimvrl

dacimvrl ss.org irRegular

first and foremost, what's your DAW software/hardware of choice.

3. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

I have pro tools now and an mbox pro, but it seems so power hungry and i may look at getting Cubase if needed. I'll be running superior drummer, ozone, trillian and that's all I'm planning on purchasing so far, Id like to get an interface with 8 inputs, but not too sure what as of yet, most likely focusrite sapphire.

I will most likely end upgrading it as well, but in looking for the best I can get starting off with my budget.

Thanks

4. dacimvrl

kk, just a heads up, for Pro Tools based systems, they are kind of picky about the motherboard chipset, be it firewire or USB.

All prices are in USD based on Newegg.com and presuming you already have a monitor, keyboard/mice, chassis.

CPU - i7 2600 LGA-1155 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600 $300

Mobo - GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $170

RAM - CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 $130

GFX - really depends if you game or not and what kind of games you play. You can grab a GTX560 for around $200, or a HD6950 for a little bit more. As far as recording goes though, even an ancient GTX260 would suffice.

PSU - CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W Newegg.com - CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $140 This PSU will last you at least 2 build cycles (5 years or so).

GL

5. tpl2000

tpl2000 Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.

So...An expensive motherboard and no sound card or hard drives, for a recording PC? You're missing a few things, bud. Not to mention they'll prolly have to buy the OS.

So, a generally favorable recording PC setup would look something like this, and I'm assuming you're not going to be doing any gaming. If you do end up gaming, a graphics card can easily be popped into the motherboard.

PSU--aim for 700w or higher, from a reputable brand. The one Dac linked is a good choice.
    Motherboard--Make sure it matches the CPU. If you're deadset on an intel build, you'll want an H67 motherboard (LGA1155 is the socket type, I believe.)
    CPU--If you're deadset on an i7, you'll want an i7-2600 to match that motherboard. (Not all i7 cpus match that board, you have to do your research on this point.)
    Hard drives--You'll want one Solid State Drive, and one or more regular hard drives. The SSD should be big enough to accomodate your operating system and all of your most-used programs. 60gb is usually a pretty safe bet. For the regular hard drive, you'll want to base that off of how much you record--1tb may well last you a while, and you can always add more with ease. (Btw, make sure you get a 3.5" sized HDD, the laptop versions are always more expensive and always have lower capacity.)
    Heatsink--if you aren't overclocking, you probably won't need an aftermarket heatsink.
    Optical drive--You can usually get an el-cheapo DVD combo drive for about $20, and that's really all you need most of the time.
    RAM--8gb is fine. Make sure you get DDR3, and make sure your motherboard choice accomodates DDR3. The price point is lower than any other RAM right now, and it outperforms all others. You'll probably want 1600.
    Sound card--you'll want a high quality one, and a decent headset to match. Unfortunately, I really don't know much about shopping for sound cards--but they do make a difference.
    Audio interface--no matter what you're recording, you will want one of these. A decent one can be had for $100-150, I believe. They ensure that the signal you're recording gets to the program without any distortion.

Operating system--Windows 7 is about $90 right now. There are certain.. Solutions, shall we say, to circumvent needing to pay for an operating system, and it's up to you to make that decision.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  6. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Your grand-dad is your uncle?

7. dacimvrl

cuz i presume he already has the hdd on his current computer and will just swap them over......like most ppl do?? You don't need SSDs to record...anything over 7200RPM will do the job perfectly.

OS, assuming he already has a computer..yes, he has the OS.

Soundcard? Who are you kidding..... He already said he's gonna use an external audio interface, what is the point of getting a sound card in terms of recording..enlighten me..

8. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Alright guys, no need to start an argument. I will be purchasing a new Hard drive and windows 7, but I already know what I need for that. It was more as I was unaware about the compatibility between motherboards and processors and whatnot.

The onboard graphics card and sound card will do me fine, as I do not game and if i do, its nothing intense, mostly snes/gameboy games. And the soundcard I'm not worried about as i will be using an interface.

But cheers guys :yesway:

:lol:

9. tpl2000

tpl2000 Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss.

Alright, gotcha--The relationship between RAM, motherboards, and processors is as follows.

Desktop RAM has three main types, each with varying speeds. DDR, DDR2, and DDR3. DDR3 is the fastest group, while DDR is the slowest (and oldest.) There are several speeds in each group, ranging from 1333-2133 for the DDR3 group.

CPUs have different types of sockets, and there are groups of CPUs that fit each socket. AMD tends to be pretty easy to follow with their groupings, but Intel is another story entirely.

The last round of CPUs, before they came out with their sandy bridge architecture, had three sockets. I could bore you with the intricacies of it, but what's important is that if you wanted an i7 processor then, you absolutely had to get an LGA1366 motherboard. The big downside with those was that the halfway decent motherboards all cost more than $180. Then when they came out with their latest group of processors, so did the LGA1155 motherboards to match. Now, i3-i5-i7 processors were all available with one socket.

All of this leads to the motherboard.

Intel's sockets are not interchangeable or backwards compatible. Each CPU only fits one socket type. Also, each RAM group has its own special 'socket,' if you will.

So, you will want a motherboard with an LGA1155 motherboard that is compatible with DDR3 memory.

Also, there are specific chipsets--or variations--within each motherboard socket type. H67 can access integrated graphics, while P67 can't, and so on and so forth. If you're really concerned about that bit, a quick search will provide details, but I stand by my recommendation--H67 is the way to go for this build.

10. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Bump for a question, I'm pretty happy with ram/processor just have a question.

Is AutoCAD Even that graphics intense, with the ram + quad core would it run fine with an onboard graphics card? I've been playing around with it and trying to model a few of my designs on there as I'm tossing up between software developer or an architect.

11. dacimvrl

you WILL want a discrete gfx card for CAD, but are you doing AutoCAD or will you be doing some audodesk 3d too?

The reason being functions like AA, 3D rendering are done way faster.

12. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

Geez you're fast haha.

I thought I might need it for those reasons. I will be doing 3D rendering as well, but either way I have until next year to save for a graphics card which is like 2 weeks pay anyways.

Thanks

13. dacimvrl

NP, GL!!

14. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ

check out this website. its where im getting my laptop: PCAudioLabs