Bugera 6262 Infinium or Blackstar HT 60

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by monorady, Apr 29, 2018.

Bugera or Blackstar?

1. Bugera

2. Blackstar

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

Hey guys, so I am torn between buying a used Bugera 6262 Infinium 2x12 combo or a used Blackstar HT Venue 60 2x12. They are both similarly priced ($350 and $450, respectively) in good condition.

I play mostly metal and need something that can handle some thick modern metal tone (as well as keep up in a practice/gig setting), and the Bugera seems to be more suited for that. However Blackstar has better build quality, versatility, dependability, ect. ect. so that is where the tear stems.

I guess my real question is will the Blackstar be able to handle the br00tal tone I am seeking? It's stocking 2 x ECC83, 1 x ECC82, and 2 x EL34 tubes and V30's, where as the Bugera has 4 x 6L6, 6 x 12AX7 and some stock speakers. I don't know a ton about tubes and everything but I do know the Bugera configuration is generally what you want for metal.

If you haven't picked up on it already this will be my first tube amp. I do not know if I will be playing other genres than metal in college but I am hyped to start practicing with my tech death band this summer and calling around for gigs and such. I appreciate the help!

2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Bugera will probably handle extreme styles better as an amp because it's a Peavey 6505+ clone, but my concern would be how those stock speakers and combo cabinets sound usually, Blackstar has definetly better speakers. For br00tz you would have to boost your preamp with a tubescreamer and have a noisegate, no matter which one you get.

How about getting a cheap tube head and cab of your choice with V30 speakers in it? It will sound a ton better, and when you want to move on from first tube amp you can just sell or change that amp.

3. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

Getting a head/cab combo would definitely be preferable, but my parents are being generous enough to buy me an amp for graduation and I can't really go over ~$500.

You think the blackstar could get heavy enough with an OD in front of it?

4. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

Will that Bugera hook up to an external cab? If so, you could get a Harley Benton 1x12 and still be within your budget.

If you could find the head used, a 2x12 might even be possible.

5. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

It's settled, I found a Peavey XXX head going for $275 and a 2x12 seismes cab with Eminence V128's for $220. They're both in budget! Can't wait to order them after school

6. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

Blackstar isn't gonna do it without a preamp pedal of some sort, like the AMT or Diezel stuff. I had a stage 60 for a couple years, it'll get you into Iron Maiden territory at most while sounding decent.

7. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Bugera 6262 Infinium is a great brutal amp, you can pair it if any cab so I'll go with it.

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If you're patient, you can find a 5150 or 6505 2x12 combo for around $400-500 :2c: they're killer amps, reliable, and made in USA other than the most recent 6505's.

You might even look at the 6505+ 1x12 combo. Almost the exact same circuit as the head version, but 60w and made in China. I've seen plenty of these go used for $350-400, which would also leave room for a speaker upgrade

Roadsterjosh likes this.
  9. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I was under the impression that all of the combos we're based on the tighter/less saturated II/+ version; what's different about the + combo?

10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

The 2 x 12 combos are based more closely on the original 5150/6505 circuit; the 1 x 12 combo is almost identical to the 6505+/5150 II, which is the "tighter" more upper-mids-emphasized tweak on the circuit (I wouldn't call it less saturated though.)

The 212s are reportedly somewhere in between the original and +/II in feel and tone. A lot of people say it's the best version in the whole series.

I own a 6505+ 112 that I converted into a head and a regular 6505 120 watt head. Both of them are equally capable of ripping people's heads off. Just in slightly different ways. :mf666:

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The XXX is a killer head, so good choice. The cab with those speakers is a good combo as well. Great deal on that.

But I would have chose the Bugera. I find the Blackstars sound pretty underwhelming, especially compared to the 6262. The 6505+/5150II is one of my favorite amp heads, so I'm pretty biased. A XXX is definitely the next best thing, so you amde the right choice.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  12. monorady

monorady Avid Lurker

Turns out the Peavey XXX is pickup only (states away)... disappointment ravages my soul.

However, I do see a couple used 6560 2x12 combos going for $400 and $500, should probably go for one of those opposed to the Bugera, no?

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  13. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Go for it! They're killer amps :metal: heavy as balls, both physically and tonally

14. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Yes, go for one of the Peaveys. They are built to survive a nuclear holocaust, and will beat the tone of the other two. Also, Bugeras have a terrible track record for unreliability. There was a time where the running joke when someone mentioned buying a Bugera was "make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy" -- and it wasn't without merit.

15. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

They sound like unusable at low volume. :lol: Well fairly enough you wouldn't want a 2x12 120W amplifier to play lullabies anyway, but the 6262 doesn't sound nice at low volumes. The speakers need to be pushed to deliver, and when I tried it I couldn't do that. It was the kind of amp where it didn't sound good at low volume, but if I tried to push it while sitting next to it in a music shop I'd blow my head clean off; even if I'll admit I'm quick to reach for earplugs. The Master control isn't friendly either if you're attempting to play at lower volumes. Any EVH 5150/Peavey 6505 I tried had more progressive controls.