Bugera 333 XL Infinium or Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 7soundz, Jan 29, 2019.

1. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about buying a new amp. I've narrowed it down to the Bugera 333XL Infinium with a 2X12. I mostly play in my room so a 4x12 might be a bit too much. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 333XL and Bugera's Turbo Sound speakers? How do their cabs sound compared to Celestion V30s? Also, thoughts on the 333XL would be appreciated.

As an alternative, I'm also considering a Boss Katana 50 or 100.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pointy purveyor

Are you mostly using it for playing at home/bedroom noodling or are you planning on gigging with the amp?
    Personally I'd take the katana 50 over a bugera of any sort. The katana has a lot of options and is pretty versatile, plus they're still loud as fuck if you decide to gig with it.

3. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

I will be playing mostly at home, but I've always wanted to try a tube amp. how does the Katana tube modelling match up to the real thing?

4. KnightBrolaire

pretty well honestly. Most modern modelers are quite good anymore.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I think you're good either way. The 333xl inf is kind of a monster. Jammed with a guy one one before and that thing NAILS modern metal tones. He had the combo version.

6. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

I had a 333xl, its a clone of the peavey jsx which ive also owned. Sounded the same to me. To be honest i really hate them lol. I found em to have a really weird flubby lowend and fizzy highend and always get lost in a live mix. Totally subjective but ewww lol.
    Katanas seem pretty awesome.

niftynico146 likes this.
  7. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

Were you using the Bugera with the Bugera cab? I hope one day someone does a through high quality review of this amp because if it is indeed a copy of the JSX, then it shouldn't sound bad at all. I'm sure the cab used has an effect as well.

8. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

I've played on the 333xl when they first came out, monster sounding amp for sure. This was with the matching cab as well, but a 4x12. Personally, the speakers IMO are shit, but the cab sounds really good. I bought the 6262 (pre-infinium days) half stack and the head left, mainly because i had a 5150 lol but i kept the cab. Still have it today. I loaded some Eminence Governors in it and it sounds massive. So for matching the cab, it can get plenty loud enough to get you by but you'd definitely benefit from a speaker swap for sure.

EDIT: It's been said a million times, but supposedly the quality issues got worked out when they started releasing the infinium line. My 6262 crapped out but it turned out to be a extremely simple fix. Bugera (at least at the time) used a plastic connector that ran the leads to the power amp tubes that would eventually just melt. When they break connection you're amp goes pop lol. Nothing internal was damaged, except for that connector. I found a site years ago that i was able to order them by the pack. I believe with shipping and all i paid like less than 5 bucks and i got 40 of them lol

9. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

WarMachine likes this.
  10. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

The 333XL sounds great. I haven't had a chance to plug the katana into the computer and dig past the stock tones, and I hear that's key on that so I wouldn't count it out, but if it was the bugera vs the stock katana, it'd be 333XL all day long for me. My 333XL is actually not an infinium, but I opened it up when I got it to check if it was from that initial run that had that plastic connector Warmachine mentioned. After that 1st batch they just started soldering the wires straight to the board to avoid the melting connector issue, which is how mine came stock from Bugera & I've never had any issues with it.

11. Djep

Djep SS.org Regular

I have the non infinity model and brother has infinity model. I used original Bugera 4x12 and I think it sounded more neutral/balanced to same priced Marshall/Randall cabs. Of course no competition to VHT FatBottom cab.
    If it sounds fizzy or dull it needs retubing.
    Running mine with two JJ KT77 power tube and few TungSol 12AX7, one JJ and noname from Presonus preamp which is in V1. I run Mesa V30 2x12 once and didn't like it with drums and it wasn't on floor.

12. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

Has anyone also tried the Marshall code? I've heard many people bash how it sounds but is it really that bad? Or is it just that it takes time to dial in a good sound?

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Come to think of it, isn't a jsx just a dressed up xxx? Those seen to cost about as much used as the bugera. Maybe just grab the peavey.

cGoEcYk likes this.
  14. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

My buddy had one and I thought it was pretty fizzy, but he was going through a Marshall cab with GT-75s (which tend to enhance fizz to the next spectrum). I would probably go for a similar Peavey option (JSX, XXX) like some where saying. I have heard those amps in person and was more impressed by them. Although almost nothing in the world sounds worse than the XXX through a full stack of XXX Sheffield cabs. You can probably get the most out of the Bugera with quality preamp tubes and speakers that suit it (Eminence Legend V12's are great for metal and reduce fizz a lot).

15. KnightBrolaire

JSX has slightly different gain staging iirc. It's a bit more refined than the xxx, which has metric fucktons of gain, with a lot of it being basically unusable.

16. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

So that's why the xxx is 300 usd any day of the week.

17. KnightBrolaire

yup, between that and the lovely truck stop girl cutouts on the grill.

18. Roadsterjosh

Roadsterjosh SS.org Regular

I have an old Ultra Plus, and even it has too much gain. I love the amp, but even without the diode clipping stage added I never push the gain past 4.
    I like the Ultra famiky amps quite a bit and as inexpensive as they are in the states I can't see a reason to buy the bugera clone.

19. JerEvil

JerEvil SS.org Regular

Yeah I'd look up a used JSX personally. Great amps and can be had on the cheap.