Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

I play music

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When and where did you acquire the Mosvalve 942? Just curious.

Edit: NVM i thought it could possibly be the one i sold recently but, it’s not actually a 942 (500 watt)
A bit off topic: May I ask what you replaced it with? I kinda wanted one after seeing a video here I think it was from you. Have not found any though.

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A bit off topic: May I ask what you replaced it with? I kinda wanted one after seeing a video here I think it was from you. Have not found any though.

I sold a bunch of gear in trying to simplify my rig.

My goal was to bring my entire rig down to 1 guitar and a combo amp. And i did it!... for about a 2 months lol.

I got an ISP Theta Combo, sold all my pedals except for a tuner, and sold all my guitars spare the Baritone Warmoth i built myself and an acoustic.

But, then i missed having more speakers so I bought a 412, slowly bought a few pedals, and now here I am again, wishing i never sold the Mosvalve.

TLDR: I regretfully ditched my preamp/poweramp setup for a combo amp. I still think the Mosvalve is the best solidstate poweramp on the market. If i were to go back to preamp pedals and poweramps, i would grab a Mosvalve 942 without even thinking twice.

Even if you find one that’s only partially functional, i think it’s totally worth it to buy it and have it repaired.

Descent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why would you want FF in a box? That tone was absolute shite...just saying...

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why would you want FF in a box? That tone was absolute shite...just saying...

Likely+correct+but+that+doesnt+make+you+any+less+of+_ee7ecf54386c6bab56fa614e300e9179.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's like 3-4 different tones depending on the era

SoaNM rips faces off

Mechanize's was quite good too

His tone was quite hit or miss. SOANM, Demanufacture, and Mechanize are beyond great. Digimortal is okay. Industrialist, Genexus, and (unpopular opinion) Obsolete... not so much.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
His tone was quite hit or miss. SOANM, Demanufacture, and Mechanize are beyond great. Digimortal is okay. Industrialist, Genexus, and (unpopular opinion) Obsolete... not so much.
Dino's tone is one of my favorites, but it kind of falls into the same category as Pantera or Crowbar. Sounds AWESOME when playing those sounds with a similar tone, but funky for anything else. That is the reason why I haven't kept things like older Randalls, or the 8100 around for long. The 8100 also sounds awesome when playing Symbolic or Prong, but thin for anything else.

I have always thought Obsolete wasn't as good sounding either. Too fat and round for that style. I have always liked Digimortal though (Avatar... lol). It is not as tight, but fat and chunky in a nice way. I love low tuned guitars that sound fat enough to sound like a guitar and bass together. Nevermore is good at this also.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I loved my 8100 for everything. I just got tired of it's unreliability. :lol: If I could get a pedal, preamp, or more reliable amp with that sound, I fucking want it.

The old pre-XL series Randall stuff is definitely... specific, though. The V2, T2, and G3 stuff was versatile, while the Century, RG, Cyclone, Titan, G1/G2, etc... All had *that* specific Randall sound. Hard to explain, but once you hear it, you can't unhear it. :lol:

And yeah, Obsolete sounded too scooped, fizzy, and loose. I love Edgecrusher, but the sound is ass one that song. :lol: Digimortal sounded much better IMO because it sounded like he bumped up the mids and lowered the presence.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I loved my 8100 for everything. I just got tired of it's unreliability. :lol: If I could get a pedal, preamp, or more reliable amp with that sound, I fucking want it.

The old pre-XL series Randall stuff is definitely... specific, though. The V2, T2, and G3 stuff was versatile, while the Century, RG, Cyclone, Titan, G1/G2, etc... All had *that* specific Randall sound. Hard to explain, but once you hear it, you can't unhear it. :lol:

And yeah, Obsolete sounded too scooped, fizzy, and loose. I love Edgecrusher, but the sound is ass one that song. :lol: Digimortal sounded much better IMO because it sounded like he bumped up the mids and lowered the presence.
I always thought about picking up a Marshall Jackhammer pedal for that purpose.

Yeah, I had a Randall Century 200II for many years. Probably 10 years. It was awesome, but yeah, always that sound. Always need something to kick up and fatten the low end.

I LOVE Obsolete, as far as the songs, but not one of my favorite tones from them. I actually had to pull up Digimortal on Spotify just now. :D Digimortal was the POD Pro and Mesa 2:90. I heard that rig live also. I still think I need to get a 2:90 one day. It seems to make anything sound killer.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm only going by Youtube, but I can't find a single demo where the JH-1 sounds anything remotely as good as the 8100. :lol:

Bearitone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You guys think Ceriatone would ever do there own take on an 8100?

Necky379

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do they build any solid state amps right now? It would be pretty interesting to see them get into that. 8100’s, VH140C’s, Bandit head, whatever that Randall was that Dimebag and Windstein used RG some number or another.