Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Loving Leon's new Pitch Detune video! Great comparison. I would have been fun to hear the Replifex in there also. I still don't like the Intellifex for this. The MPX-1 does great though.

H9 sounded best clean. SPX90 and FM3 best dirty.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Loving Leon's new Pitch Detune video! Great comparison. I would have been fun to hear the Replifex in there also. I still don't like the Intellifex for this. The MPX-1 does great though.

- I saw that. I went straight to the Intellifex clips. It sounds good but definitley generic compared to the Replifex. Leon does a pretty great job I gotta say. He's really getting the word out for keeping the older units in use. I think he doesn't mess with the Replifex much because he said his unit acts up or something. Replifex is a sleeper in plain sight. I gotta agree with @HeHasTheJazzHands though. H9 and SPX90/FM3 for this video probably my fav's too.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah my Replifex is my go-to detune machine. it's instant Mick Mars live tone. Does he use one or does he use Eventide effects?

Also I feel like the H9 was actually the worst dirty tone. It sounded way too flangy and kinda colored the tone too much. But that modulation sounded great clean.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yeah my Replifex is my go-to detune machine. it's instant Mick Mars live tone. Does he use one or does he use Eventide effects?

Also I feel like the H9 was actually the worst dirty tone. It sounded way too flangy and kinda colored the tone too much. But that modulation sounded great clean.

I know Mick Mars had both H3000's and Replifex in his rack so it could be either one. I think the 311 dude used a Replifex for this too, if remember right.

- That's the hard part for me is getting it to sound good with distortion without sounding flangey, but it's in there by it's nature. It's like telling it to do it but not do it at the same time or something. In Leon's vid he's using +/- 11 cents he says. I've been using 7-12 cents depending on the mix. Mine need more work but I'm getting similar results to Leon's. I think I just maybe can't hang with the phase issues it brings to distorted tone's but it's really nice for some things.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
H9 sounded best clean. SPX90 and FM3 best dirty.
That SPX90 sounded great in that video. I kind of want one, but they are REALLLLY old compared to many of these units. I don't mind older, but early 80's is pushing it in terms of maintenance issues.

The H9 did sound great clean, but I wonder if the mix was higher, because the effect sounded stronger.

I kind of wonder about some of the settings. For example, the MPX-1 is one of my favorite detuners in terms of the units I own, but it didnt sound as good in this video. It sounded like he had some modulation on. I wonder if he was using the detune factory presets, which many of them have an LFO modulating the pitch on the detune, which makes it less static.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- I saw that. I went straight to the Intellifex clips. It sounds good but definitley generic compared to the Replifex. Leon does a pretty great job I gotta say. He's really getting the word out for keeping the older units in use. I think he doesn't mess with the Replifex much because he said his unit acts up or something. Replifex is a sleeper in plain sight. I gotta agree with @HeHasTheJazzHands though. H9 and SPX90/FM3 for this video probably my fav's too.
I get what he got on this video when trying to use the Intellifex for detune. It has sort of a weird short delay or reverb type thing going on with the detune. I dont think it can do a short of enough time delay to get that tight type of detune. Its the one main thing I dont like about the Intellifex.

Yeah, I think the SPX90 and FM3 sounded great. As I mentioned above, I think the MPX-1 can sound better. I didn't think the Eventide pedals sounded as good as the racks. The TC Elec sounded pretty good also, pretty comparable to the G Major 2 I have.

I kind of wonder if he could make them more similar with more tweaking. For example, on my Axe II I generally use a low and hi cut on the detune to clear up the low and high end some. The Eventides always sound like they have a big high cut on. The MPX-1, and Replifex could use the EQ on just the detune to do this.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

The Replifex does a great Detune, but the weakness is that it only does 1 voice. It doesn't sound as thick as some of the others since it cant do the typical +/- thing. For example, the MPX-1 can do 4 voices, +/- 8 and +/- 11 for example is very thick sounding.

I have wondered if he used the Replifex or H3000 for Detune also. I assume the Eventide, but I guess you never know.

I think the H9 mix was higher. That is why it sounds great on the clean, but too much on the drive. Typically you need less mix on drive tones vs. the clean tones.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Replifex does a great Detune, but the weakness is that it only does 1 voice. It doesn't sound as thick as some of the others since it cant do the typical +/- thing. For example, the MPX-1 can do 4 voices, +/- 8 and +/- 11 for example is very thick sounding.

I have wondered if he used the Replifex or H3000 for Detune also. I assume the Eventide, but I guess you never know.

I think the H9 mix was higher. That is why it sounds great on the clean, but too much on the drive. Typically you need less mix on drive tones vs. the clean tones.

Yep, there's apparently a Replifex in there. But there's also Eventide and Yamaha

Eventide H3000 harmonizer
- Yamaha SPX 1000
- TC M1
- Alesis Quadraverb
- CAE Dual Stereo Line Mixer
- Rocktron Replifex
- Custom input selector
- Rocktron RSB-18 switcher
- CAE 4x4

tumblr_o7f11aJv9X1v1abcqo1_1280.jpg

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok. I've been messing with the Replifex again and apparently forgot a lot about it. After revisiting it and taking notes I have a much better understanding of it and feel like I got a new processor in some ways : )

- I figured since I already put in a bunch of work on notes and already made the preset recall sheets that I'd package those together with at least a little more legible block diagrams than compared to the download manual, but also make a sort of "Replifex Primer" and take a stab at demystifying some of this unit.
- Hopefully others get use out of it.
- I'm glad I did this. I hear new tones in my future.
- Don't blame me because it's confusing :lol:

Here's a .pdf file of them...
- The full version has the Recall sheets from above attached but I can't upload a file that big (3mb) here so you still need the recall sheets if you want those. This has 5 pages of text and the block diagrams inside it. I also had to reduce the quality too to meet the file size limit but it's still legible.

Enjoy : )

Awesome ......going to print this out and thanks for the work you put into it !

Got my 2nd shot last Thursday ....that took away from my playing for a few days over the weekend recovering....but this weekend ill twist some knobs and learn some new tricks on the unit !