Budget $leepers: Hi-Gain Rack Equipment Past & Present

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Leon just done another vid on the Intelifex...sounded fantastic. I like seeing these classic units being show cased ...

Mike

The only problem with the original Intellifex is it lacked certain effects, like flangers and phasers. For what those units are going for, you can pick up a TC Electronic G-Major 2 used for way cheaper. It’s good enough for Metallica to use playing sold out stadiums, and I think it’s just a better unit overall.

Mourguitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Both are great units...i prefer the Rocktron units myself

Load in AnalogKid85 presets...really shows what the Intellifex can do...guy has a great ear

I have his EVH presets ..put these in front...Ecstasy !

Mike

20210404_083921.jpg

WarMachine

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never had the Phase 90 so can't vouch for it, im sure it sounds great. But i did have the EVH Flanger and that pedal was the tits.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The only problem with the original Intellifex is it lacked certain effects, like flangers and phasers. For what those units are going for, you can pick up a TC Electronic G-Major 2 used for way cheaper. It’s good enough for Metallica to use playing sold out stadiums, and I think it’s just a better unit overall.

The Replifex has all the flanger, phaser chorus, rotary, tremolo stuff inside it incase you weren't aware of that unit. So does the Xpression.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have both and I kind of like the Intellifex more. However, I am mostly a chorus/detune, light delay, and reverb person. I dont really need much else. I am generally a fan of all the Rocktron stuff. I think the G Major 2 goes for more money these days. It is a great unit also, but I think it is best with a parallel mixer so that your whole signal isn't digitized. I find it much harder to dial in the reverb on it. The whole unit definitely has more of a hi-fi tone to it.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I have both and I kind of like the Intellifex more. However, I am mostly a chorus/detune, light delay, and reverb person. I dont really need much else. I am generally a fan of all the Rocktron stuff. I think the G Major 2 goes for more money these days. It is a great unit also, but I think it is best with a parallel mixer so that your whole signal isn't digitized. I find it much harder to dial in the reverb on it. The whole unit definitely has more of a hi-fi tone to it.
I hear a lot of people prefer the INtellifex over the Replifex over the years. I think it's because the Replifex has a smaller bandwidth. It only goes up to like 14k or something whereas the Intellifex and even the Xpression go much higher. I actually like the limited range on the Replifx because it suits the guitar speakers better. I look at the Nyquist folding freq as being around 7k which is perfect for a guitar speaker.
- I'm always on the lookout for the XL Intelifex though strictly because of it's EQ and higher delays times. I found I never really use much other than delay and rever and dynamics stuff so it would suit me prefect, because I do like the Intellifex's reverbs alot more. As I'm sure you know the Replifex reverb is the same as the "low end" reverb algorithm in the Intellifex. I really just love all these units. I regret selling them all the time. At least I got my Replifex!

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The main reason people seem to love the Intellifex is the chorus being so flexible, plus the 8-voice chorus. Overall I preferred my Replifex, even though age is starting to catch up and I think it's dying.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The main reason people seem to love the Intellifex is the chorus being so flexible, plus the 8-voice chorus. Overall I preferred my Replifex, even though age is starting to catch up and I think it's dying.
That 8v chours is really nice. I've even seen many AxeFx rigs online that still have Intellifex's in them. I'd bet that's why. Everyone loves that 8v chorus.
- I gotta replace my Replifex pots soon. All my gear is getting the scrathy pot syndrome where not even cleaning works any more. The Rocktrons are soldered to the board so for me that's a scary thing to try myself.
- I can't remember what it is with these era Rocktrons but I've heard them dying before and they have this wierd popping thing going on (like a relay switcher pop noise) and the Hush feature gets all artifact riddled. My buddy got his fixed by Rocktron about 10 years ago and I think it just came down to some capacitors or something like that. Easy fix for a tech that knows what to look for apparently.
- I still want a VooDu Valve for a portable rig but stuff is getting expensive since covid came.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me, i'm not sure how to explain it. It's like occasionally, the unit will make a high pitch beep. I also had a situation where it wouldn't turn on. Like it'd power on, but the screen would display a garbled mess and not do anything.

That 8v chours is really nice. I've even seen many AxeFx rigs online that still have Intellifex's in them. I'd bet that's why. Everyone loves that 8v chorus.
- I gotta replace my Replifex pots soon. All my gear is getting the scrathy pot syndrome where not even cleaning works any more. The Rocktrons are soldered to the board so for me that's a scary thing to try myself.
- I can't remember what it is with these era Rocktrons but I've heard them dying before and they have this wierd popping thing going on (like a relay switcher pop noise) and the Hush feature gets all artifact riddled. My buddy got his fixed by Rocktron about 10 years ago and I think it just came down to some capacitors or something like that. Easy fix for a tech that knows what to look for apparently.
- I still want a VooDu Valve for a portable rig but stuff is getting expensive since covid came.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score

Sometimes it's just because it's easier. For exemple, if you want to get the Edge's tone on "Numb", that's a standard patch on the Digitech DSP 256. If the unit is worth 100€, why not just buy and use it ?
It would be more efficient for me to work and earn the 100€ than to tweak the tone on my axe III because I have a shit ear for reproducing modulation effects. (Other good exemples are the SPX 90 used for "no more tears" and the amps used by Maiden for Seventh Son)

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
For me, i'm not sure how to explain it. It's like occasionally, the unit will make a high pitch beep. I also had a situation where it wouldn't turn on. Like it'd power on, but the screen would display a garbled mess and not do anything.

Strange. I hope mine ever does that. I know the Hush circuit makes a bunch of noise when it starts to fail but not sure what it could be.
- The screen thing could be dirty contacts. I used to have an All Access controller and the screen did the same thing. segements going out or lighting up randomly. I talked to Jim and he said those displays rarely break (same vacuum display as the rack units but bigger) . He said it's probably dirty and to clean it with alcohol or contact cleaner where it solders to the board. I opened it up and the unit looked brand new. I thought no way it's dirty but I did what Jim said and cleaned them anyways. Turned the unit back on and it was perfect, even though it looked brand new. Maybe this can help your unit. Be aware though. Opening these units (the older ones without the detachable face plate) is like solving a Rubiks Cube. I love over engineered stuff.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hear a lot of people prefer the INtellifex over the Replifex over the years. I think it's because the Replifex has a smaller bandwidth. It only goes up to like 14k or something whereas the Intellifex and even the Xpression go much higher. I actually like the limited range on the Replifx because it suits the guitar speakers better. I look at the Nyquist folding freq as being around 7k which is perfect for a guitar speaker.
- I'm always on the lookout for the XL Intelifex though strictly because of it's EQ and higher delays times. I found I never really use much other than delay and rever and dynamics stuff so it would suit me prefect, because I do like the Intellifex's reverbs alot more. As I'm sure you know the Replifex reverb is the same as the "low end" reverb algorithm in the Intellifex. I really just love all these units. I regret selling them all the time. At least I got my Replifex!
I always figured the Intellifex was just more common because it was made much longer. It was the first Rocktron effects processor, and went through several iterations (Intellifex, Intellifex LTD, Intellifex Online, Intellifex Online MIK, Intelliverb, Intellifex XL, Intellipitch, etc...). It is just far more common. The Replifex wasn't made nearly as long, and it came much later when the world was starting to shift to floor processors, like the Digitech RP series, and the Boss GT series. The Replifex was also marketed towards emulating analog effects, not for really being a studio-grade effects processor.

I am not sure which I prefer. I go back and forth all the time. I like that the Replifex can do a true Pitch Detune ala EVH. The Intellifex can't really do that. I also like that it can do the detune+delay+reverb easily, where the Intellifex can't really do a tight detune, or can't have longer delays or the better reverb at the same time. However, if you stick to a basic 350ms or so delay with a basic reverb and light chorus, the two units can sound nearly identical. The Replifex has the Detune, but the Intellifex has the Ducker. Hard choice, lol.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I go back and forth. Yeah, that 8-Voice Chrous is amazing, but the Replifex can do true Pitch Detune + Standard Chorus with tweakable delay time. I think I get more late 80's style Choruses more easily out the Replifex for that reason, and also Come As You Are style Choruses, but the Intellifex does the 90's STP and Deftones style Choruses more easily.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Rocktrons are pretty easy to replace knobs on, because the faceplate comes off, and you can just solder right there. You don't have to take the whole thing apart or remove PCBs or anything. Faceplate off, solder in new one, faceplate back on. 15 minutes.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I always figured the Intellifex was just more common because it was made much longer. It was the first Rocktron effects processor, and went through several iterations (Intellifex, Intellifex LTD, Intellifex Online, Intellifex Online MIK, Intelliverb, Intellifex XL, Intellipitch, etc...). It is just far more common. The Replifex wasn't made nearly as long, and it came much later when the world was starting to shift to floor processors, like the Digitech RP series, and the Boss GT series. The Replifex was also marketed towards emulating analog effects, not for really being a studio-grade effects processor.

I am not sure which I prefer. I go back and forth all the time. I like that the Replifex can do a true Pitch Detune ala EVH. The Intellifex can't really do that. I also like that it can do the detune+delay+reverb easily, where the Intellifex can't really do a tight detune, or can't have longer delays or the better reverb at the same time. However, if you stick to a basic 350ms or so delay with a basic reverb and light chorus, the two units can sound nearly identical. The Replifex has the Detune, but the Intellifex has the Ducker. Hard choice, lol.

I know I keep saying it but I really do dream of an ultimate Rocktron unit coming out someday with all the best algorithms from every unit. That would be so dang cool. There's just something about the overall sound/vibe coming from those units that I really dig. The way they interact and preserve the original signal is still unequalled by other units even today. Even Lexicon's, TC's, and Eventides mess with the tone and dynamics of the input signal in comparison to these old units, imo. I do want me some Lexicon's again though.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know I keep saying it but I really do dream of an ultimate Rocktron unit coming out someday with all the best algorithms from every unit. That would be so dang cool. There's just something about the overall sound/vibe coming from those units that I really dig. The way they interact and preserve the original signal is still unequalled by other units even today. Even Lexicon's, TC's, and Eventides mess with the tone and dynamics of the input signal in comparison to these old units, imo. I do want me some Lexicon's again though.
The closest to the ultimate you will probably ever get is a Prophecy II. I was looking at those the other day, and they seem like a "best-of" unit.

Yeah, I love the Rocktron units. I know they are not the best, but I love their transparency, and the way the effects blend with the sound. They are very meat-and-potatoes sounds, but they just blend very well with the core tone. It is hard for me to say I "hear" their tone, if that makes sense. Like, the G Major 2 that was brought up, when I use it, I hear the "TC Sound". All the effects have that hi-fi ultra clear presence thing going on. My Axe-FX II will run circles around a Rocktron, but there is something I love about their restricted nature and speak-and-spell display, lol. They just work, and sound great, with no extra fuss. No more, no less.

Speaking of Lexicon, I have been loving my Lexicon MPX-1 also. It is more of a PITA to use since it really needs a mixer, but the Detune on it is one of the best I own. I am currently using a desktop mixer to parallel my MPX-1 and G Major 2, but I bought a few circuit boards the other day to build a dedicated little parallel mixer pedal.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The closest to the ultimate you will probably ever get is a Prophecy II. I was looking at those the other day, and they seem like a "best-of" unit.

Yeah, I love the Rocktron units. I know they are not the best, but I love their transparency, and the way the effects blend with the sound. They are very meat-and-potatoes sounds, but they just blend very well with the core tone. It is hard for me to say I "hear" their tone, if that makes sense. Like, the G Major 2 that was brought up, when I use it, I hear the "TC Sound". All the effects have that hi-fi ultra clear presence thing going on. My Axe-FX II will run circles around a Rocktron, but there is something I love about their restricted nature and speak-and-spell display, lol. They just work, and sound great, with no extra fuss. No more, no less.

Speaking of Lexicon, I have been loving my Lexicon MPX-1 also. It is more of a PITA to use since it really needs a mixer, but the Detune on it is one of the best I own. I am currently using a desktop mixer to parallel my MPX-1 and G Major 2, but I bought a few circuit boards the other day to build a dedicated little parallel mixer pedal.

- I've had the Prophesy three times. The first was a USA made Prophesy-1 v1 and was killer. I almost sold my entire rig at the time because it was so good. OF course I sold it off and regretted it.
- I later go the Phrophesy-2 and it was like a totally different thing. Sounded bad. I thought it was because it was v2 or made in China or whatever so I sold it and got an old USA v1 back and it sounded like crap too.
- I couldn't figure out what it was causing this drastic difference compared to my memory of the first one so I sold it too. I've tried tube rolling them and everything but something is amiss.
- Fast forward about 10 years and I went to a guys house to buy a different piece of gear and he was jamming through a Prophesy V2 made in China and it sounded every bit as good as the first one I loved and remembered. Some of them sound phenomenal and some don't and not sure why, but they are great units. Gear is strange that way, but this was more than a compent tolerance thing and hearing that guys rig and it being awesome like my first was confirmation to me. Some of them suck some don't. The shitty ones' sound exactly like Megadeth album he used them for on tour with. They say Dave usedthe Line 6 for that album and only used Prophesy live but I swear it sounds just like it on that album.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heres a link to Ryan's ( AnalogKid85 ) presets...check them out for the Intellifex , just found the link in my bookmarks...

Some he has the Editor page so you can manually enter if you dont have the midi uno..

Mike

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=A0E1778109AFBF59!128&cid=A0E1778109AFBF59
Yeah, I have his presets loaded in my Intellifex Online. There are many good ones in there, however, I do think many of them seem to be for the long decay time - ambient type thing, which I don't really do a lot.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- I've had the Prophesy three times. The first was a USA made Prophesy-1 v1 and was killer. I almost sold my entire rig at the time because it was so good. OF course I sold it off and regretted it.
- I later go the Phrophesy-2 and it was like a totally different thing. Sounded bad. I thought it was because it was v2 or made in China or whatever so I sold it and got an old USA v1 back and it sounded like crap too.
- I couldn't figure out what it was causing this drastic difference compared to my memory of the first one so I sold it too. I've tried tube rolling them and everything but something is amiss.
- Fast forward about 10 years and I went to a guys house to buy a different piece of gear and he was jamming through a Prophesy V2 made in China and it sounded every bit as good as the first one I loved and remembered. Some of them sound phenomenal and some don't and not sure why, but they are great units. Gear is strange that way, but this was more than a compent tolerance thing and hearing that guys rig and it being awesome like my first was confirmation to me. Some of them suck some don't. The shitty ones' sound exactly like Megadeth album he used them for on tour with. They say Dave usedthe Line 6 for that album and only used Prophesy live but I swear it sounds just like it on that album.
That is really weird since it is all digital. Maybe there was a bad firmware version out there? Only thing hardware wise that would make sense is if they used different types of Opamps on the inputs and outputs. Most of it would be digital.