Budget guitar help

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by wertyase5, Aug 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. wertyase5

wertyase5 Member

Now without saying I should just buy a better guitar, I need some help on how to optimize the action of my LTD MH-53. It's not that bad of a guitar; I love the ESP neck profiles and large frets, and I'm about to switch out the pickups for some better ones. I really love the feel of this guitar and am not ready to accept defeat. Anyway, the strings are way too high off the fretboard, making playing a little less smooth. I tried putting shims under the neck joint and it has a floyd rose so I can't lower the bridge. Can anyone help me figure out how to get the strings closer? When I put shims under the neck, the string touched at the 24th fret and was way off at the 1st. It's frustrating and I don't want to give up on it because it's the only guitar I have with a floyd rose.

2. tyler_faith_08

tyler_faith_08 Strings of Chaos

You can't adjust the height of the floyd rose? Is it a top mount? AKA, does it sit on the body or does it sit in a cavity? If not, you SHOULD be able to adjust it.

As far as shimming the neck, try a smaller shim. Sounds simple, but maybe buy some super thin stainless steel sheet metal form somewhere around town.

3. vangkm

vangkm SS.org Regular

Or just pay someone to set it up for you the way you want? Generally a set up will cost around $30 and if you get strings $40.