Budget Friendly Solution for an Ampless Gentleman

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, the input is much appreciated! I'll put these options to him and see what he says. I don't think he's particularly tech savvy though, but that one was a good idea!

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Black Widows are stock in most (all? paging @Gmork) of them and they might be heavy but they sound incredible.

Holy hell are they heavy. A buddy has a Peavey Mace (212 combo w/ Black Shadows) and that thing weights like a fucking tank. And it's not even full tube...

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah I really like the suggestion of a teal stripe Bandit. They are the most "amp" out of what people listed so far. Combine that with a boss SD-1 type pedal for boost and you got all you need for a long while. Maybe down the road put one of those new transparent dust cap V30's in there or something like a Swap Thang or DV-77. While this is no world beater it can over a lot of genre's of music decently. If he gets good and a higher budget should probably just look at getting a HX stomp and running it into the Bandit.

For a true cheap setup that is "ampless" and they have an iphone I would get a cheap, but low lag audio interface that works in iOS and then use THU Rigs or AuroraDSP's Rhino. With Rhino you get a "full rig" and can make just about every metal tone you can think of. That app is like $15 bucks or something. Insane value. You get 3-4 amp voicings, noise gate, the common boost pedals one would use, an IR loader than can mix up to 4 IR's, Reverb/delay and a parametric EQ. There is seriously little in the guitar world that can touch that if you already own an iphone.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For a headphone preamp in his budget, I'd also check the Palmer pocket amp mk2. It can be used for DI box later on.

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've put everything to him and he's got a lot of reading and researching to do!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Could also just buy a cheap amp and give it to him so he can get going.

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had actually thought of that, but wasn't sure if it was a bit patronising? I don't want to come across all messianic. I was considering giving him an old distortion pedal of mine to get him going.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, if you locate any used (or new?) Behringer GM110 consider it as an option, one of the best solid state amp distortions (along with the Peaveys transtube bandits, Randall rg80 and of course tech21 trademark amps, but these exceed his budget)...

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I had actually thought of that, but wasn't sure if it was a bit patronising? I don't want to come across all messianic. I was considering giving him an old distortion pedal of mine to get him going
Just ask him if he would like a loaner til he gets sorted.

JimboLodisC

black Ibanez plz
Reaction score
go to a pawn shop and get a small practice combo amp

otherwise maybe an iRig if he has an iPhone

keep in mind some smaller amps won't have great high gain tones so he might also need a pedal to supplement, so that adds to the cost

I will say that I've had tiny Fender amps that have decent distortion before, and my tiny Blackstar FLY3 is good enough for my workbench

dspellman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not me, fortunately. A colleague at work has rediscovered his love for guitar and has been looking for an amp. Unfortunately for him, recent bills have wiped out his budget. I'm just wondering what options does he have for bedroom playing? He has no laptop/PC as that was my first thought.
Are there any decent practice amps? Or even headphone amps? Relatively high gain rock & metal stuff, but nothing too extreme. Budget I'd say less than $100. Happy to look at used items, would a Boss Katana be in budget/worth looking into?
Cheers!
Find him a Line 6 Pod XT "bean." And a decent set of headphones.
Failing that, find him a Korg Pandora and the aforementioned headphones. The Pandora series would run on either batteries or a wall wart.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
go to a pawn shop and get a small practice combo amp

otherwise maybe an iRig if he has an iPhone

keep in mind some smaller amps won't have great high gain tones so he might also need a pedal to supplement, so that adds to the cost

I will say that I've had tiny Fender amps that have decent distortion before, and my tiny Blackstar FLY3 is good enough for my workbench
Fly 3 is surprisingly good for what it is. The drive channel is more classic rock and maybe some hair metal but I could drive it harder into Metallica gain levels by boosting it with a pedal and a humbucker.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also an owner of the lovely Fly 3. I usually have it in my garage during the summer, when I tinker on my guitars or attempt to mod a pedal. Sounds surprisingly huge for it's size.
Boss Katana gets quite loud in an apartment setting. Had the 50w version and sold it for VOX VT20X and it's way more "bedroom volume" friendly.

Nowadays I prefer a good PC setup with monitors or cans to any small modeler amp.

feilong29

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The korg PX4 is a super portable and tone-heavy unit that you could snag for under $100 if you are lucky to find one.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
For under $100, I'd say that he might honestly want to consider just going to a pawn shop or resale shop and buying whatever is cheapest, then save up until he has a budget to afford something actually decent. It might be a good way also to figure out what sort of styles might work best and what sorts of tones he wants to stay away from. But there probably isn't anything these days under $100 that would function as a good practice amp for all styles.