Budget Friendly Solution for an Ampless Gentleman

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not me, fortunately. A colleague at work has rediscovered his love for guitar and has been looking for an amp. Unfortunately for him, recent bills have wiped out his budget. I'm just wondering what options does he have for bedroom playing? He has no laptop/PC as that was my first thought.
Are there any decent practice amps? Or even headphone amps? Relatively high gain rock & metal stuff, but nothing too extreme. Budget I'd say less than $100. Happy to look at used items, would a Boss Katana be in budget/worth looking into?
Cheers!

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Are they semi-tech-savvy? Do they have and audio interface and a "spare" Raspberry Pi? They could install PatchboxOS/MODEP. If they do, that would a solution that only costs them some time.

If they're more tech-savvy, they could install the pi-Stomp codebase or the mod-host & mod-ui from the full MOD Dwarf code.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Are they semi-tech-savvy? Do they have and audio interface and a "spare" Raspberry Pi? They could install PatchboxOS/MODEP. If they do, that would a solution that only costs them some time.

If they're more tech-savvy, they could install the pi-Stomp codebase or the mod-host & mod-ui from the full MOD Dwarf code.

I doubt somebody without a PC or a laptop fits this role :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not me, fortunately. A colleague at work has rediscovered his love for guitar and has been looking for an amp. Unfortunately for him, recent bills have wiped out his budget. I'm just wondering what options does he have for bedroom playing? He has no laptop/PC as that was my first thought.
Are there any decent practice amps? Or even headphone amps? Relatively high gain rock & metal stuff, but nothing too extreme. Budget I'd say less than $100. Happy to look at used items, would a Boss Katana be in budget/worth looking into?
Cheers!

The newest, used Line 6 modeler or practice amp he can comfortably afford.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
Used Peavey Vypyr would be really good, but plenty of small practice amps could work. My dad let me borrow his Fender Mustang II for a while, and it sounds surprisingly good for a little amp with a few models and effects.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Boss Katana mini was my first practice amp. For the price, it's a pretty killer amp for distortion tones.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
Get a used little practice amp they're like a dime a dozen.

Upgrade the speaker. I never gave a shit about speaker upgrades bc I was always like who fuckin cares a speaker is a fuckin speaker they're all paper and magnets on a frame.

I got a little fender frontman 10g just to jam in the bedroom and it was fine. The distortion channel is fucking stupid just like everyone says but I don't use it anyway because it's not footswitchable. I just use pedals in front of it.

It's got a 6 inch speaker and I thought I would swap it out with a Jensen speaker just because they're cheap for shits and giggles. After about a two week break in period it sounds fucking amazing. I was just like holy fucking fuck this thing is now chimey like a fucking tube amp.

Now I wonder how many amps I've had that could have sounded so amazing if I would have just took the time to upgrade the speaker.

projectjetfire

Guitar Addict
Reaction score
Depending on what the style is, Ive got a Vox Mini 3 which has a great clean setting, a great couple of distortions, some fx (the room one is great for headphones) and thats all. A Fender G Dec is another great little amp Ive seen people use (and Ive used too).

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get a used little practice amp they're like a dime a dozen.

Upgrade the speaker. I never gave a shit about speaker upgrades bc I was always like who fuckin cares a speaker is a fuckin speaker they're all paper and magnets on a frame.

I got a little fender frontman 10g just to jam in the bedroom and it was fine. The distortion channel is fucking stupid just like everyone says but I don't use it anyway because it's not footswitchable. I just use pedals in front of it.

It's got a 6 inch speaker and I thought I would swap it out with a Jensen speaker just because they're cheap for shits and giggles. After about a two week break in period it sounds fucking amazing. I was just like holy fucking fuck this thing is now chimey like a fucking tube amp.

Now I wonder how many amps I've had that could have sounded so amazing if I would have just took the time to upgrade the speaker.

It's true. My Lab Series 410 came with vintage CTS speakers which by all snobbish accounts should be hot shit but the set of 2x Jensen Jets and 2x Cannabis Rexes I put in absolutely smoked them and made the amp a real fire breather.

That's why Bandits are so great, though, Black Widows are stock in most (all? paging @Gmork) of them and they might be heavy but they sound incredible.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's true. My Lab Series 410 came with vintage CTS speakers which by all snobbish accounts should be hot shit but the set of 2x Jensen Jets and 2x Cannabis Rexes I put in absolutely smoked them and made the amp a real fire breather.

That's why Bandits are so great, though, Black Widows are stock in most (all? paging @Gmork) of them and they might be heavy but they sound incredible.
I believe the teal bandits come stock with either scorpions like mine or sheffields, not sure about other bandits, id imagine the same

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Yamaha desktop amps are supposed to be good as well.
Also good to see some Vypr love, I still use my 15 for low level practice.