Budget alternative to Morgan SW50R for pedal platform

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MatthewLeisher, Dec 20, 2018.

1. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

Hey everyone. I’ve been looking to downsize my current rig because it’s way more than I need. I currently have a Laney AOR 100 series II and a VHT fat bottom 4x12. I’ve been looking into going the pedal platform route and getting a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Deville and using pedals to get my overdrive. I’m looking for a similar tone to the newer Intervals records. I’d love to get a Morgan SW50R but it’s way out of my budget (about $700-$800 for an amp) so I was looking for some guidance on this subject. Could a fender combo pull off those kind of tones?

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

112's are where it's at. Have a look at deluxe reverbs or old pro reverbs.

You're kinda spoiled for choice.

Isnt aaron rocking the axe fx setup? Trying to cop what is likely a blend of amps and pedals may prove frustrating.

3. MatthewLeisher

He cut the new record on Nick Johnston's Friedman BE100 through a Mesa Rectifier 2x12. He uses the Friedman model in the Axe Fx live and for home use to easily record ideas and stuff like that. One of those clean Fender pedal platforms and the Friedman BE-OD could probably get me in the same ballpark, right? I was also thinking about a Deluxe Reverb Reissue, but it's only 22 watts and I wasn't sure it'd be able to keep up with a band while still remaining totally clean. The reason I was leaning towards a HRD or a Deville is because they're 40 and 60 watts respectively. I've also heard that the Deville is like uncontrollably loud and not good for home use, so I'm thinking a HRD would be the way to go. I just wanted the gear gurus at SS.org to chime in.

4. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Something to consider if you want some versatility, get a 112 cab, the BE-OD, and a pedal power amp like the EHX 44 Magnum. That way you'd be able to swap out different preamps for your core tone.

It might be limiting if you like clean tones, and I'd make sure the BE-OD sounds good as a standalone preamp first. I run a similar setup and it's pretty cozy.

You could probably still use your 412 with the pedal amp too, a lot of people here say they have more than enough juice for use with a band.

5. MatthewLeisher

I would be down to do that but I wanted to have a clean tone as well.

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I think the BE-OD is a really impressive distortion pedal, I like it more than the Friedman models in my axe FX. That being said, I didn’t like it as a preamp, really boxy sounding. It really shines into a good clean channel (ideally one without a bright cap).

7. budda

70's silverface pro reverb.

8. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Morgan is a weak sauce company.

narad likes this.
  9. MatthewLeisher

I've heard that a lot, they make a good amp though lol Either way, I can't afford one.

ArtDecade likes this.
  10. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I’ve got an old USA HRDeville and it works at home volumes. It’s just ridiculously sensitive so you have to be careful with the volume. It is definitely louder than the Deluxe, and I prefer the depth and overall sound of 2x12 vs 1x12. That said, the Deluxe is a great clean amp as well. I’ve used one many times with little complaint. Budgeting for a speaker upgrade is a really good idea for them too.

11. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Does matchless or badcat make anything like that Morgan?

12. budda

If they do, it wont be in his budget.

13. MatthewLeisher

Matchless makes one, but like Budda said, it’s out of my price range.

14. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Isn't the SW50 mostly a Dumble circuit? Then Matchless and Badcat are not the go-tos.

15. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

There are a bunch of different ways to go about getting the goosed modern marshall thing on a budget with how many preamp type pedals are available these days. Something Marshall-y into a @budda recommended amp will most likely get you 75% of the way there, if not closer. Think Plexitone, Pathos, or BE-OD as mentioned

Is your budget 7-800 total or just for the amp portion? If you can stretch it would something like an AX8 be in achievable territory or do you need to keep up with a band?

16. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I used a Blues Deluxe reissue as a pedal platform for years with good results. Can likely be found in your budget used.