Brutal Review of the New EVH '78 Eruption

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don’t think I’ve ever seen this dude before, but when I got to the “since I can afford to do it and I don’t care I can tell it like it is”, that’s gonna be a no from me, dawg.

I most likely agree with whatever he’s saying, but the amount of douche leaking from that video is enough to put Massengill out of business.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If he really wanted to impress he could have, I don’t know, actually played one instead of just looking it up on SW?

mpexus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The EVH QC seems to be considerably worse than the Charvel and Fender QC, which is hilarious considering they're all in the same factory. :lol:
I have two EVH stripped series and both are flawless... cant say the same about any of the Charvels I got where they cant even seem to make the neck Pocket perfectly fit... which is curious since they are made in the same factory and have exactly the same dimensions ;)

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
af

Marko's reviews are always great to watch and very honest, and he is, if you watch any of his other reviews, music videos etc, he loves the EVH US Wolfgang's he has and usually has nothing but good things to say.... this review is brutal, but very very hard to argue with when it comes to what you are getting for the price....

after watching it, i agree. youre buying a paint job. and a snow job.

Cody Tucker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've seen this guy's vids before while searching for info on Wolfgangs. Like said earlier, not a great channel at all.

I'm totally fine with people arguing that things should be cheaper, but I also don't think it's very hard to understand the pricing of this thing. The neck looks *really* nice; a proper quartersawn piece. Add in the "relic" finish on the body and that will all drive the price up, and this is all before mentioning that these are likely lower yield items, which again drives up the price.

The youtuber also seems angry that this isn't a full blown replica of the original, but even the EVH site says: "The all-new EVH® Striped Series ’78 Eruption guitar combines many of those famed mods along with modernized features and a relic treatment."

The $1,099 models are a great value, indeed, but they're essentially a Charvel Pro Mod with a top-mount floyd and different paint job. It's a wonder those two things don't drive the price up, but all of the finishing and construction seems the same as the Charvels.

I personally probably wouldn't buy the 78 model myself, but I'm not a massive EVH fan either. I do have a Wolfgang Standard, which is amazing, and leads me to associate the EVH brand with great quality.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
after
I've seen this guy's vids before while searching for info on Wolfgangs. Like said earlier, not a great channel at all.

I'm totally fine with people arguing that things should be cheaper, but I also don't think it's very hard to understand the pricing of this thing. The neck looks *really* nice; a proper quartersawn piece. Add in the "relic" finish on the body and that will all drive the price up, and this is all before mentioning that these are likely lower yield items, which again drives up the price.

The youtuber also seems angry that this isn't a full blown replica of the original, but even the EVH site says: "The all-new EVH® Striped Series ’78 Eruption guitar combines many of those famed mods along with modernized features and a relic treatment."

The $1,099 models are a great value, indeed, but they're essentially a Charvel Pro Mod with a top-mount floyd and different paint job. It's a wonder those two things don't drive the price up, but all of the finishing and construction seems the same as the Charvels.

I personally probably wouldn't buy the 78 model myself, but I'm not a massive EVH fan either. I do have a Wolfgang Standard, which is amazing, and leads me to associate the EVH brand with great quality.
having had to have sent back a wolfgang special due to huge issue and the replacement being less than stellar, , and after talking to the dealer who said they have to return a large number of evh guitars to fender due to significant flaws, i cant say that. The electronics, like amps and such do seem quite fine however.

devastone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They are all Charvels, made in the same plant. The EVHs are basswood, which I like on my Ibanez's but could be argued is a cheaper wood than the alder on the Pro-Mods. I wouldn't buy any of the striped ones and I love Ed's playing, grew up on it, it's just too "ED", I might consider a Wolfgang except I really don't like offset bodies, may have to try one sometime anyway.

Is it worth $2k as a main player guitar, no. Is it worth $2k to some for the coolness factor of looking like the Eruption guitar, sure.

Can Marco rub people the wrong way, definitely. I do watch some of his reviews, and yeah, sometimes it seems snobbish (or something, not sure what the right word is), but he is usually pretty much spot on, although some of his calls are about what he likes, which he usually mentions. I'm not defending him, I understand why people don't like his reviews, well, his attitude, whatever.

Possessed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why does this guitar sell for 1999usd in us but less than 1200e and cheaper than frankenstrat in Europe?

Sir_Shreddington

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
His aggravation levels were kind of funny to me, and I don't disagree with 95% of what he's saying either.

My approach is to see it for what it is, not get angry about it and finally move on with life. Just don't buy the guitar, dude lol

BenjaminW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't EVH make a much more expensive/accurate replica of this guitar a few years back?

I do and don't get why he's getting so worked up over this.

devastone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't EVH make a much more expensive/accurate replica of this guitar a few years back?

Yeah, it came it a flight case with a lot of extras and cost $10k or something. It was a pretty much exact replica, like the $25k Frankie from a decade or more ago.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
when you go for fanboi bait you fucking get what you get

the price really doesn't seem that outrageous regardless of specs, who buys something like this thinking they're getting $1900 worth of guitar? besides I've seen dozens of NGDs on here with way stupider guitars that cost twice as much