Bridge Pick-up for Sustainer/Piezo Build

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by ElRay, Aug 10, 2020.

1. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I'm 99% sure my "next" series of mods will be adding piezo pick-ups and a sustainer to the old work-horse Revenger-7. So, I'm looking for bridge pick-up recommendations. Since it's going to drive (what will most likely be) a Sustainiac Stealth Pro-7, the following styles are instant NO-GOs:
    • Split/Offset design (G&L Commanche, Duncan Vintage Rails, etc.)
    • Lace Alumitones, Aluma Stealth, etc.
    • Neo-vin style noiseless single-coil (actually two three-pole single coil)
    • Black-Outs
    I'd like something with some descent (series/parallel/something else) tone options:
    • EMG 707/TW (especially with a EMG Tone Control)
    • Dimarzio Freds have been recommended for having different series/parallel sounds
    • I have a CrunchLab-7 that hasn't been installed yet. I've not seen any discussions on series vs parallel tones. That seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it pick-up.
    • Is there something like a Duncan P-Rails in a 7-string?
    I'm definitely thinking something more fusiony/jazzy/bluesey than distorted/meedley/chuggy.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Does it have to be a humbucker?

I BKP (I know, I know) has a 7-string P90 that's humbucker sized. I've heard great things. I try not to recommend stuff that I don't have personal experience with, but on paper it seems like it would do what you're looking for. I'm also GAS'n for one too to put in an Eastman.

ElRay likes this.
  3. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I have a DiMarzio D-Sonic 7 feeding a Sustainiac Sustainer in my fretless 7 stringer. It works great... That guitar also has Graphtech Piezos, so it's all compatible...

The sustainer doesn't work with the piezos, it needs to be fed by the D-Sonic, but it can be fed with either full humbucker or single coil (I think it is the blade coil at this moment), so I imagine that it will work well with a parallel wiring also.

I suggest you to choose with your bridge pickup preferences in mind. Almost any AlNiCo or Ceramic passive humbucker will work fine. Neodimium loaded pickups don't work due to... ? so remove those QTuner pickups from the wish list...

ElRay likes this.
  4. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I'm not planning on re-routing for a different-sized bridge pick-up route. The idea of a P90 is appealing ... Right now, I'd love something Filtertron-esque, but I've never seen these as a 7-string.
    That's the basic plan. I may go with a Fishman VS50 style Trem, but as of now, I'm leaning towards Graphtech.
    I may just start with the Crunchlab, because it's here.
    I'm not sure why neodymium would matter. That's not listed on Sustaniac's verboten list. Maybe it's the standing coils of the Q-Tuner?

odibrom likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The pickup I'm talking about is a P90 built into a 7-string humbucker housing for easy installation in a guitar already routed for a traditional humbucker.

ElRay likes this.
  6. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

::yesway::

7. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I think I remember reading it on their site years ago, but it's been so long since then... maybe I'm wrong :shrug:

8. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

The "Neo-Vin model Neo-9 neodymium pickups" are on the No-Go list, because they look like, and are marketed like, a stacked-coil humbucker, but they're really a split-coil design wrapped in a single-coil package.

Fishman Fluence used to be on the no-go list too, but they're off it now, so at one point, all neodymium pick-ups might have been on the list.

odibrom likes this.