Brexit: what will it do to guitar prices in Britain?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by fps, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Sorry to double post but I love that Cameron is apprently to blame as to why in the last 4 & half years we still havent got a deal yet, even tho he quit as PM the day after the Referendum result and so has had no influence or say at all in whats happened since!! LOL! He has been far too busy on his autobiography and making a fortune on the Speech making circuit! Only time he has popped up was when all the other living former PM's came out to condemn the breaking of international law by this Goverment & current Prime Minister in order to break a deal already signed by the goverment, that apprently was so good it didnt even need to be read according to Ian Duncan Smith

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    StevenC likes this.
  2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Having visited Scotland a couple of times, I can't imagine their historical happyness if they get independent again. They really hate being part of the UK even if most don't speak openly about it. The only reason the previous attempt to get independent failed was because of them not wanting to get out of the EU (specially immigrants). Now that ship has sailed.

3. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Sorry for the Necro-ish bump guys.

So from what I can see guitars coming into mainland UK from the EU are now going to get a 20% VAT charge (plus import duty?). Jeez!! Sucks if true. Is that going to be charged at source or like previous imports from outside the EU you actually pay the courier on delivery? Here's the next mental part...I live in Northern Ireland and it looks like I would still get guitars from the EU with zero charges BUT guitars/gear coming from mainland UK are going to be subject to customs checks....:nuts:

Louis Cypher and StevenC like this.
  4. thebeesknees22

thebeesknees22 SS.org Regular

OOOUCH! 20%?! I feel for you guys. That's bananas

5. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I think the VAT stuff is covered in the annexes to the trade deal apparently. There’s supposed to be something about goods assembled in the EU being VAT exempt when shipped to the U.K. and vice versa, but finished goods originating from outside the EU but shipped from the EU will be charged. I THINK...

If this works like I understand it, you wouldn’t pay VAT on a Mayones, made in Poland, from a shop in France, but you would if you bought an Ibanez made in Japan from the same shop.

Well in fact that’s what *I* would be subject to, living in Great Britain. You living in Northern Ireland will be able to get goods from the EU like you could 5 years ago.

My prediction is that Ireland will end up uniting and Scotland will go independent. Boris Johnson will deny it’s his fault and Nigel Farage will have another shot at politics to see if there’s still some damage that he can still cause... ;)

StevenC, IbanezDaemon and Zhysick like this.
  6. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

United Ireland and independent Scotland sounds really good

7. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

United Ireland would probably be in name only and see the rise of domestic terrorism. Independent Scotland would need to join the EU as soon as possible or it’d run out of money.

StevenC likes this.
  8. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

There are a lot of people in Ireland that wouldn't mind a united Ireland BUT they don't make as much noise as the ones that won't ever want a united Ireland. On the other hand, I am sure that there are more people that, in 2019 would have said no to the reunion but in 2021 things have changed with Brexit... It would be hard but I think none of them want a frontier there and many wouldn't mind the reunion as long as they can continue their lives without going north (like they haven't done in the last 40 years or more... I met people that have never been to N. Ireland and don't want to go and will never go but wouldn't mind a reunion if that's better for the economy or other things)

How will that affect to the UK-Brexit-guitar prices? I don't know

Emperoff likes this.
  9. IbanezDaemon

Pretty damn crazy. The Ibanez thing for You and I is a bummer! I must look into the custom shop thing. Vandermeij etc for me would be free to import to NI...cool but a £3000 axe for you guys would be like £600 to import!! If that's the case you are better off getting them shipped to guys in Northern Ireland and paying the £30-£40 shipping back to the mainland. Oh yeah...btw you are spot on...United Ireland would be a catastrophe.

10. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

I think unless you're well off, right now isn't really the time to be importing guitars. Global economies aren't doing great let alone the UK.

I think it'll eventually work itself out, for better or for worse. And if it doesn't more reason to buy from local builders!

Asphyxia, IbanezDaemon and Zhysick like this.
  11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I've got some stuff coming from a UK vendor and I'm looking forward to seeing if there's any additional documentation on it.

Need to make a Thomann order for some stuff but hoping one of you guys does it first to test.

IbanezDaemon and budda like this.
  12. IbanezDaemon

I've read that there is a grace period until April 1st before paperwork and customs checks become necessary from GB to NI but will be interested to hear if your gear comes through okay.

StevenC likes this.
  13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I hope the op is enjoying those new lower prices.

asopala, Sumsar, cip 123 and 4 others like this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

No additional documentation that I saw with my UK order, though the tracking was really screwed up and estimated it for next week while showing up out of the blue today.

----

As for Thomann:
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/faq_question_information_for_non_eu_countries.html

Relevant bit:
    "VAT will be added and charged by Thomann GmbH after processing an order only if the net value of the items is equal or less than 135.00 GBP or if delivery will be to Northern Ireland. In these cases, no additional fee will have to be paid upon delivery."

So looks like IbanezDaemon and I are good for now on Thomann orders, but mainland customers will be handed a VAT/duty bill from the delivery company on orders over £135.

I did notice the price of my basket got all screwed up since the new year and they changed the free shipping threshold from £99 to £135 (coincidentally).

EDIT: on playing around with the basket/checkout, my order got to £135.30 and inputting my address hasn't triggered it to apply VAT yet, but not going to make the order until next week anyway to find out.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  15. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Late to the party, but this is the most intriguing part of Brexit to me (and, I think, to a lot of other people outside of the UK). Northern Ireland is going to be part of the UK, but exit the EU, but still have all sorts of open policies with Ireland. Seems like the weird limbo status there might lead to some corporations moving to Belfast, even if their HQ there is just a glorified post box. Once the UK catches on to what's happening, and I guess they might do so as soon as the rest of the nation's economy starts to look like brexit was a bad idea in very concrete terms, there might be some strange policies in follow-up. Or maybe everything with brexit will somehow magically work itself out in the next couple of weeks and everyone in the UK will become independently very wealthy and buy all of the guitars despite the 20% VAT. :shrug:

StevenC likes this.
  16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I don't know why VAT hasn't gone back to pre-EU Purcahse Tax levels either, while we're talking about it.

But yeah, nobody is happy about the NI situation because it's so nebulous and is going to cause problems. But it's (Brexit's) what the DUP wanted so nebulous state of their union membership was really the only solution. Any good that comes of it will be entirely unintentional and any bad that comes of it has been entirely foreseen.

Also on the NI situation, the NI Assembly get to vote on the Protocol every 4 years. Which is great because they've given the veto on a massively important trade deal to a small, volatile consortium of radical groups. And since the whole trade deal all hinges on the 4 yearly approval of a bunch of ignoramuses, the UK offers no secure future to any business that might consider investing there. Until such times as Northern Ireland is cast off from the rest of the Union.

Mice voting for cats.

Louis Cypher likes this.
  17. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Yep, I had to cancel all my Christmas leave trying to rush through changes to Corporate finance systems when the NI tax situation finally got announced, about ten days before Brexit. NI businesses will have two VAT numbers, their standard GB Vat and then an identical EU Vat number starting with XI to be used on EU trade. Effectively it sets up a customs border between them and the mainland, where goods will be liable for Import tax but trade between NI and the Irish Republic will remain frictionless.

18. IbanezDaemon

I've read that there is a transition period on parcels from GB to Northern Ireland until March 31st with no additional requirements from individuals in GB sending goods to NI residents and businesses unless they are prohibited or excise goods. Do you know if this is the case?

StevenC likes this.
  19. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

I have heard that from a few places, but didn't have to do anything officially to enforce it.

My work doesn't really touch on the logistics side so much as the financial reporting of it upfront/after the fact. The particular system I work with had to identify and report tax on goods travelling GB/Europe and Import tax when it encounters it, it's not really concerned about when it occurred other than post 31/12/20.

20. IbanezDaemon

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm sure I read about that somewhere. Will see if I can find the link.