Brexit: what will it do to guitar prices in Britain?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by fps, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I haven't heard something but truth be told I'm not actively looking for news about distributors of brands even though I should I order to get better prices lol!

From what I've seen usually when one shop announces something and reduces prices the rest follow suit after a while to stay competitive. I didn't see any Rectifiers or Mark V's to compare prices (as those are the models I'm interested currently) on guitar guitar but I can check the prices on the Fillmore model they have in stock. Seems comparable with Andertons being £60 on the 50 Watt head.

2. fps

fps Kit

Ah that might be it. Clever of them! I think it is Mesa’s end though. Perhaps they’ll do that with some others and this totally unrelated but smart move will offset costs of what’s to come or indeed save some cash through them.

3. fps

fps Kit

“You clearly want your guitars cheaper”
    “Maybe it’s not the best time for you to buy one”.
    Thanks so much for the financial advice, person who knows nothing about me or my finances. Show me someone who buys an expensive guitar and doesn’t want to check what is happening with the values of guitars as we move forward. I’m looking for people who have some insight, if you don’t, or want to keep commenting on things about me you don’t know, jog on.

4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Dude relax, you asked for our thoughts in your first post, so don't get angry when people give you exactly that.

If all you wanna hear is that you should go buy the guitar you want, then sure, you can have it:
    I think you should go buy that guitar you really want, right now, don't wait till tomorrow, order it now and remember to make a NGD thread on here when you get it, and don't skip on the pics :)

JimF, Zhysick, XPT707FX and 2 others like this.
  5. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

You're welcome.

Thanks for letting us know what guitar your after!

Zhysick and StevenC like this.
  6. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Hi. Not poor and British. Understands that guitars are horrible investments.

JimF and Millul like this.
  7. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I always think to myself, if I have to question whether I can afford a guitar, then the answer is that I can’t.

Then I think to myself, seeing as I can’t afford this guitar, should I buy it anyway?

Edika and fps like this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

yesssss.

9. BlueTrident

BlueTrident SS.org Regular

Some brands are already becoming astronomically expensive. ESP (more specifically LTDs) and PRS have shot up in price over the past 5 years in the UK.

10. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

They haven't.

It's just that THIS happened.

20200915_133910.jpg

11. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

just seems like the whole idea was really poorly planned unless that was the plan from the start. even if things are bad they can always get worse. makes no sense for the EU to give them a better deal by leaving. from the start you are putting yourself in a weaker negotiation position and the only leverage you have is to kick yourself in the dick again, even harder, with a no deal crash out. have fun with that.

it looks the bike meme where the rider puts a stick in the wheel and causes their own crash and then blames it on brown people.

Edika, Zhysick, BlueTrident and 3 others like this.
  12. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

The EU does have it's problems, like all large political powers. There are a number of countries also interested in leaving, it's one of those "Well let's see what happens here" situations. But no it wasn't particularly well planned at all.

Edika and sleewell like this.
  13. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

And, anyway, you're supposed to seek concessions for NOT leaving, not incentives to GTFO after announcing that you've pretty much already left

Have you people learned nothing from daytime television soap opera breakups?

Pablo, Edika and _MonSTeR_ like this.
  14. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I remember spending a lot of time in Japan on business in 2007 and the 230 Yen to the Pound made for good times. We're almost literally half that these days :(

StevenC likes this.
  15. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

It all started as a Conservative party gamble to bring their Euro-sceptic members in line, they believed it would give them a mandate to say 'shut up, the country wants this'. What they hadn't factored in was just how successfully the UK Press had been selling the 'foreigners are to blame for the countries ills' message for many years, coupled with how much will there was to 'show the government that we're sick of being ruled from a distance', both within the union and within Europe.

Another thing worth noting is that if you are resident in the UK but the majority of your money exists outside of the pound, then devaluation of the currency potentially increases your net worth substantially. This is likely the reason behind the headlong rush into the abyss at all costs, because politicians with offshore cash and all of their extremely rich friends will gain substantially from it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    JimF, Edika, Zhysick and 5 others like this.
  16. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

This is an older article from 2019 but sums up the amount of money involved in both the original Brexit Referendum backing leave and how much was made when the pound plumetted after the result came in and how much is poss being speculated off the back of a poss No Deal Brexit on 31st Dec this year.... Been pretty clear in the non right wing press for some time that a very small number of already incredibily wealthy people are going to become even more so at the expense of the vast majority of UK population who are already crippled by years of austerity, lack of regional investment and now Covid-19 (Most of who will have been blinded in to voting Leave by years of right wing press & tory eurosceptic MP's especially on their anti EU/immigrants/UK BAME population/all the other reasons previously mentioned above excuses to explain why their lives are so terrible - every populist goverment must have someone to lay the blame on, a THEM who are against US)

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/09/11/...al-crash-out-by-boris-johnsons-leave-backers/

Edika, Zhysick, tedtan and 1 other person like this.
  17. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

It's probably just Russian oligarchs stirring this shit to get a cheaper bolthole and be shielded from possible future EU sanctions

18. Louis Cypher

Funnily enough there was a recent Guardian article about how the UK in particular London, is one of the most corrupt places in the world for the laundering of money easily and without question.

19. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

Not sure this has anything to do with guitars, but anyway, the conservative party is a terrorist organisation.

JimF likes this.
  20. Louis Cypher

On point, I have no idea how it will affect the new guitar market but a no deal brexit at a basic level on the 2nd hand market (reverb or ebay) will mean any purchases from an EU member state will be subject to full UK VAT and Import duty charges on top of the purchase and shipping (23.5% extra on guitars) same as buying from the USA. Currently as part of the transition period the UK is still in till 31st Dec, there is no VAT or Import duty and so no customs checks or charges on 2nd hand guitars from EU.

That will obviously apply in reverse too, UK seller, EU buyer will be subject to their local duty charges.

Found this, its a 2018 article but probably still valid
    https://www.doublereed.co.uk/news/impact-assessment-brexit-and-the-musical-instrument-market/

Edika and IbanezDaemon like this.