Brett Garsed's solo on Alien Hip Hop may very well be one of the best solos ever.

Seedawakener

ouh...
Reaction score
Listen and appreciate this work of art. Solo begins at 02.55, but I suggest you listen to the whole thing, cause everything just flows so well.

Such phrasing and sense of melody. Although some parts are rather "shreddy", he does it like no one else. I mean, I love Guthrie Govan but even he can't make that same seamless transition between technical playing and fantastic thematic phrasing. I wonder if I''ll ever be able to play this good, or if it's just part of Garseds insane talent.

Oh, also the way that Derek Sherinian picks it up when the dynamics are at the top. :eek:

Virgil Donati should have some kudos too for making such a great song. :yesway:

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
He's a great player no doubt. I love how he retains that slide guitar type sound that's native to his upbringing in everything he plays. He came to my college once for a masterclass, I didn't really know anything about him at the time, but really enjoyed it. I think it was that which got me started with hybrid picking, and some Eric Johnson stuff too.

matty2fatty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know why someone doesn't hire Planet X to write music for every video game boss battle. All I can picture when I listen to them is Mega Man

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i loved all of the metric modulations and what not..... however, can't stand the solo getting into blues notes.... don't get me wrong.... he's amazing.

onefingersweep

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great solo, Garsed is one of my favorites. I love his tone and phrasing, and of course he's the hybrid picking king :D

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Indeed an awesome player, hadn't heard this song before so thanks for posting! I've just recently been getting into his style of hybrid picking and building some sort of efficiency with it, it's a really cool way of getting a more saxophone-style approach to lead lines.

Kyo

Myung at Heart
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a great solo. I was very happy to hear that Brett was recording guitars for the Quantum album because I really loved Brett's playing on Derek Sherinian's debut album "Planet X". The guitar solo on track no. 2 of that album ("Sea of Antiquity") is just amazing.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
damn, first time i've heard of this guy.. that was some excellent playing... time to hit up some other stuff on youtube.

Seedawakener

ouh...
Reaction score
damn, first time i've heard of this guy.. that was some excellent playing... time to hit up some other stuff on youtube.

You'll be pleased! There are loads of videos with him just doing clinics and instructional DVD solos and things like that. Such fluidity. Like a slick, more melodic holdsworth.

Grievous

Reaction score
One of my all time favourite guitarists!! Alien hip hop was originally on Virgil donatis album from 1999, Serious Young Insects, and in my opinion is a much better version! Can't find it on youtube, but heres two tracks from the album. Really hard to find but totally worth it! Brett garsed, Tj helmerich and simon hosford all contribute.

I saw planet x play live in sydney in 2006 with tony macalpine...my god:bowdown:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Good, but not in Tony Macalpines league! Moonbabies will always be the Planet X album for me :D

Actually, having said that, I do love Universe too.

Blondino

Reaction score
This should be in the "textbook" of how to structure and phrase a fusion solo. One of my faves too! Started transcribing it a while back... wonder where it's gone...