Breaking-in guitar speaker, What difference doest it makes?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Belensky, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

As many know, guitar speaker needs some breaking-in time to sound the best they could, but I was curious to find out what exactly changes as speaker "breaks in" So I compared speakers that I have played for last year and brand new speaker that been played just for couple minutes before recoding this video. I did my best to achieve exactly the same mic placement(dead center on cap, right in front of grill) but as you may know every single speaker sounds bit different from others, so on this video it's three old speakers and one new. I think that fresh speaker sounds more flubby, and somehow produces more unwanted frequencies and whereas "breaker-in" is more focussed and tighter with all frequencies that you want. But it's up to you to decide. Only thing to remember, that if you buy brand new cab or speaker, give it some good run at loud volumes before make your mind if you like cab or not.

efiltsohg and Metropolis like this.
  2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

New speaker sounds very tense, like it has not as much low end and presence as breaked in ones. Also bottom speakers in this cab sound more bassy than top speakers when mic'd up.

3. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

I also noticed that new is more hollow. more bass, maybe more treble, but less usable frequencies

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I didn't watch the video, 'cause I'm not in a place I'd hear it right now, but my experience has been that brand new speakers have a sort of unwanted harshness to them. Too much of a hairy high end, if that makes any sense. I feel like any cabs I've gotten with new speakers mellowed/smoothed out over time. I've spent the most time with Mesa Marks as amps, which are generally regarded as being kind of smooth in a way, but through brand new speakers, there was just always this high fizzyness.

5. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

something like that, more fizz and flub, more hollow mids (at least it's what I'm experienced)

6. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Cool experiment. I noticed the same "character" when rolling/trying out different Eminence speakers. My old/used Eminence Legend V12's were quite broken in. Not as loud or harsh as the newly installed ones at very low volumes but sounded amazing when at normal volume. I can confirm that most Eminence take some time to break in, probably 20 hrs at volume.

7. Belensky

Belensky SS.org Regular

I spend more time breaking in Celestion vintage 30

8. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

I've owned my Mesa Recto 2x12 for almost 6 years now so it's nice and broken in, but when I first bought it brand new it was definitely stiff and harsh like the new speakers in your video OP. Now they're a lot more smooth, pleasant, yet still cutting without the stiffness.

And I like these Mesa V30's a lot more with both my H&K and Invective heads than I do the Chinese V30's in my Trace Elliot 4x12 that I've owned since '98.

9. thriveNSuffer

thriveNSuffer LOUD

You need to break them in because if you're pushing them towards their X-max (such as a 50w cranked into a single v30) you could potentially get creasing in your cones. A good 10hrs of play through them slowly increasing volume will loosen the stiffness of the paper.

AngryWhiteMan likes this.
  10. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Yup, new speakers sound like they are...stiff.
    Hook up an ipod with some moderate volume. Enough to get the cone moving a little...and go to work.

Pisses off the neighbors, but when I get home...she's ready.