'bout ta write the best song of my life today!!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by slumcitysounds, Aug 6, 2010.

1. slumcitysounds

slumcitysounds Shred till your dead

For any who don't know, I have been playing and writing music for the better part of nearly 20 years...Last night I had a very vivid dream that I wrote the best song of my career....so..I shall do just that!!...I will keep everyone posted as to the progress of this piece and will post recordings of it as it comes along....This may seem pretty gay but IDC!!Anyone who does can feel free to post comments/thoughts on songwriting and how YOU usually start your song writing process....For me it starts with a vision in my head and ears then to the frets!!:scream:

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd has left the building Contributor

"This is not the greatest song in the woooooorld... This is just a tribuuuuuuuuuute!" :rofl:

Have at it, man! Post it when you're done.

Usually when I write a song I'm pretty damn stoned. And then I start to hear music. Whatever sounds physically possible (for me) I attempt. If I hear anything that sounds even remotely cool I'll record that and just play w/ it for a while with other instruments (I also play bass and I'll play a keyboard if I absolutely have to but I pretty much suck). If I like it I'll keep it, practice it and strive to make it progress the way it did in my mind before I made it "real" which typically doesn't happen. :lol:

CrushingAnvil likes this.
  3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

KJ nails it in the opener :lol:

Keep us posted! I write best when I'm jamming with at least 1 other instrument, usually. I've come up with great stuff just dinking around at home, but I come up better riffs consistently in a jam/band context. It's part of why not jamming for long periods pretty much kills me I think.

4. -One-

-One- Not So Kool-Aid

Generally, I'll just be dicking around, and a great riff will just happen, and I'll write it down, honestly, and then expand on it from there.

5. NaYoN

NaYoN Heavy Blog Is Heavy

I have certain patterns that I keep using, I take the guitar and noodle around with them, after a while something nice will randomly pop up and then I'll keep morphing that riff over and over again, making new riffs and tying them together. After a while the new riffs sound nothing like the original, and then I build on those too. And then eliminate the worse ones and add in some connective riffs, harmonies and leads.

6. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I've had that dream too, sucks to wake up :lol: But it's inspiring to get a glimpse of what your subconcious mind is actually capable of, musically. It reminds you that if you ever feel stuck in a rut or have writer's block, you're simply not that in tune with yourself yet :)

7. scottro202

scottro202 I'm walkin' here!!!

That sounds like some Steve Vai shit there, I like it :yesway:

8. chucknorrishred

chucknorrishred SS.org Regular

i'll just hybrid or tribrid some fulfretboard modes.

9. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

i usually think of amazing riffs and shit, but I can never transpose them to the guitar! It's like the notes doesn't exist and I can't find them on the fretboard..

Pisses me off! It happens all the time!

10. guitareben

guitareben SS.org Regular

awesome man! Hope it goes well :D:D

11. McKay

McKay ʎɐʞɔW

My theory isn't that the music in your sleep/imagination is amazing, or that it's actually possible to exactly play. I think because it's in your mind, your dream triggers the emotional chemicals you get from hearing the most awesome song in your life. You get the same feeling of 'this is awesome' but you might be playing something really beige.

Dreams are really weird.

Mr. Big Noodles likes this.
  12. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Amen to that!!

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yeah what the hell!

I get this all the time. I've had the most amazing shit in my head, but can't even find the root note on the guitar. The longer I spend, it seems to get simpler and simpler and just dies out eventually.

MIDI outputs on our brains. That's what we need.

14. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    A friend of mine kept a miniature recorder by his bed, and would wake up and record the music he had been dreaming. He finally released an album of the dream music, and charted with it. How cool is that?

Good luck, friend!

15. slumcitysounds

Thanks for all the great input on this thread...It is coming along pretty nicely so far...I will keep updates as we get further along with it!

16. slumcitysounds

Yeah I have this problem at times as well!!!Totally blows!:mad:

17. OzoneJunkie

OzoneJunkie SS.org Regular

practice... sing 2 notes, find on guitar, repeat. continue on for more notes/chords. seriously, i want to throw this out there not because i practice this enough or am particularly good at it, but stuff like that can really step up your playing/soloing/etc... i'm quite certain Vai and others know where they're going during solos... watch Vai's mouth :)

18. slumcitysounds

This is definitely a good idea and a lot of help too!....My drummer and I just wrapped up a session on this and some of these ideas/suggestions/concepts are really helping us look at song writing in a new light, which is refreshing to us since we haven't written anything together in quite a few years.
    :shred::scream::flame:

Thanks everyone and keep the input coming!

19. slumcitysounds

:hbang:UPDATE!!!.....Well the song is done and its by no means the "greatest song i've ever written", it is pretty decent, especially since my drummer and I havent played together in a band in about 10 years or so, and even longer since working in the studio! At any rate though, we recorded tonight and i'm trying to figure out how to pt up the rough mix if anybody wants to hear it. We go back Dec 4th to mix and master so it will be much better sounding then. Thanks for all the input on this thread , it really helped me get over a little hump/block/funk I was in writing wise so once again, Thanks!:shred:

20. xJeremiahx

xJeremiahx Human

Luke...email me the tune asap.