Bought my first 7 string, looking for pickup recommendations (metalcore).

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by landmvrks, Dec 7, 2020.

1. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

Got a great deal on my first 7 string, an Ibanez Prestige RGR752AHBF. I've heard some negative reviews RE the pickups on this, so I'm hoping to swap them out. I'm using this for mainly metalcore, think Invent Animate, Thornhill, Currents, etc. Any recommendations for pickups to be suit this style? Going to be pairing it with my Axe FX II XL+.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I was going to suggest anything EMG for that metal core sound but I don’t know any of those bands, so now I’m only cautiously recommending that.

I would assume any decent high output pickups would work. Dimarzio Dactivators are a less expensive option that have a great mid-forward sound.

Themistocles likes this.
  3. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

Deactivators sound like a good option. I think Titans might also work. Ive found them suprisingly adaptable and the midrange is great.... they growl nicely, one of the best bridge humbuckers dimarzio has ever put out.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

I have an 81/85 combo in my ESP 6 string. I've always liked the EMG's, kinda hoping to try something different this time though.

Appreciate the recommendation, I'll look into it. I'm considering the Bare Knuckle Impulses, any experience with those at all?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Themistocles likes this.
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I'd suggest to first give a deep listening to the pickups it comes with. If in doubt, try a direct link to jack or a pot replacement for ones with higher value. It should come with 500k Ohms, I'd try 1Mega Ohms pots first. Cheaper mod and easy to do. Then, if it still doesn't work for you, then I'd try new pickups...

CM_X5 likes this.
  6. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Bare knuckle will have several pick ups that could do the tones you are looking for. One of the guitar players in Thornhill has an ibanez 7 string fitted with Bare knuckle impulse pick ups. So maybe start there and look at other models like Juggernauts, Ragnoroks and what not. Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega and black winter sets would also sound pretty good too.

Asphyxia likes this.
  7. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Second for Seymour Duncan Omega.
    I just changed out a black winter for it.
    Both pickups are amazing though.
    The Omega just hits everything better IMO.

8. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Google is pretty helpful...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metalcore/comments/4qi4fv/we_are_invent_animate_ask_us_anything/d4t8tvd

BKP Black Ops

https://mixdownmag.com.au/features/interviews/show-tell-ethan-mccann-from-thornhill/

BKP Impulse

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/cu...g-riffs-aplenty-in-this-exclusive-playthrough

Seymour Duncan Fusion Edge

FWIW, I have two 7 strings that came with BKP, Aftermaths and Nailbombs. To me, I don't get the hype around BKP. They aren't worth the extra money over domestic brands. I would stick to DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan if you are in North America. Avoid the Blaze custom, it is super muddy for the sound you want. DiMarzio does a 30 day exchange policy on anything if you don't like it. Not sure about SD.

9. landmvrks

landmvrks SS.org Regular

I actually put in an order for the BKP Impulse, but I had an email from BKP saying they aren't sure if they will fit in the guitar properly. They said it should be fine, but they can't guarantee it, so they can "modify" the metal baseplate if I want. Even still, they said I may potentially have to open up the cavities more due to my guitar having more rounded corners. Not sure I want to do that, as the paint will obviously be shaved away leaving what's underneath showing through.

Is this standard for Ibanez guitars and BKP? I know in Thornhill's guitar playthrough on Youtube they have Impulse in an Ibanez 7 string, but it's a 27" scale length and probably custom made for them.

10. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

When I'm thinking about the early to mid 2000 metalcore, EMG 81 85 comes to mind first. At the same time I'm unfamiliar with any of the bands you listed.

Mathemagician likes this.