Bought a used guitar at Guitar Center in "excellent condition" but

elkoki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
it arrived like this, with scratches / swirls all above the top of the guitar and the neck was sanded. Note the there's a lot of glare in the pictures, because these scratches are only visible under the light. Am I over thinking this or is this not acceptable? The guitar wasn't too expensive but it bugs me that it was listed under excellent condition when maybe it should've been very good, or good. What if I don't want a sanded neck?

free online image hosting

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've noticed that GC Used says "excellent" as long as there aren't any chips or deep gouges.

But, you're like half an hour with a buffing pad away from all those fine scratches and swirling being gone, and like another 15 minutes to get the sheen back on the neck if you so choose.

If you got a great deal and like the guitar, I'd keep it. If it really bothers you, ask GC for a partial refund, they've done it before for stuff I've bought that's had issues not originally disclosed.

NeubyWanKaneuby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just picked up a Fender Elite Tele (they came with cases brand new) and I didn't remember seeing anything in the listing that said it didn't come with one. It arrived in just bubble wrap. I'm still deciding if I want to take it back on principle alone.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just picked up a Fender Elite Tele (they came with cases brand new) and I didn't remember seeing anything in the listing that said it didn't come with one. It arrived in just bubble wrap. I'm still deciding if I want to take it back on principle alone.

None of the GC Used guitars are guaranteed to come with original cases or accessories unless explicitly stated. Always ask, sometimes that's all it takes.

This is a feature, not a bug, as they hold the cases to either sell separate or use in store, and that's if they even got them on trade in, which isn't always either.

The guitars and amps on GC Used are still used, in that they are what they are.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I'd probably be a little.peeved about this scratches but even more peeved about the neck. Yeah you can fix it, but to me that's the sort of thing you disclose. That said... This is guitar center

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Eh, it’s GC. I’ve had Very Good show up as Fair, and then the opposite. I just bought a 5153 50W listed as “very good” and it came with the tags and stickers still on, and the speaker cable and foot switch cable still twist tied together. I don’t think it had ever even been plugged in. Bottom line is I think there isn’t a lot of training of exact definitions of what the terms mean, so it’s up to the individual person checking them in to put a condition to it.

I’d just go by price if nothing else.

elkoki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I would say that's a little different, usually used guitars on their site that come with cases , say they do, but not always. Mods to a guitar should be listed imo, or at the very least be pictured clearly. One thing they need to improve on is adding better quality pics like Musicgoround does. GC pics can be blurry, completely missing or not even of the correct thing. Had there been clearer pictures showing the wear, I probably would've thought twice about it . I'm still deciding if I'll take it back.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eh, it’s GC. I’ve had Very Good show up as Fair, and then the opposite. I just bought a 5153 50W listed as “very good” and it came with the tags and stickers still on, and the speaker cable and foot switch cable still twist tied together. I don’t think it had ever even been plugged in. Bottom line is I think there isn’t a lot of training of exact definitions of what the terms mean, so it’s up to the individual person checking them in to put a condition to it.

This.

It's not a scientific process, just some dude quickly giving it a once over, taking a shitty picture, doing a quick Google for the model, checking the price in the system and moving on.

Guitar Center makes very little on the used stuff, and thus they don't really invest a lot of time or energy into it, which is also why you can get great deals with probably the best return/exchange program out there for the type of product.

Want tons of high quality pictures and super accurate descriptions? Buy new, because that's what you'll be paying if they have to put that much more effort in.

That's the whole point of GC Used, a great price for a roll of the dice.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd probably be a little.peeved about this scratches but even more peeved about the neck. Yeah you can fix it, but to me that's the sort of thing you disclose. That said... This is guitar center

Same. If there price was good, the superficial scratches wouldn't bother me too much, but that neck...nah, unless it was a rockin' discount.

elkoki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Same. If there price was good, the superficial scratches wouldn't bother me too much, but that neck...nah, unless it was a rockin' discount.

Its was $400 shipped. I would say overall good deal but not mind blowing cheap or anything. https://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/solo-6-custom-2013-12-04-detail

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

elkoki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sold listings on Reverb are showing ones selling (not just listing, these are actually purchased) for between $500 and $1000, so I'd say that's a solid deal. :shrug:

View attachment 102286

Like I said, call GC, explain the situation and ask for money off. If you like the guitar that is.

I did , they said no to a partial refund lol. So I'll spend a few days with the guitar, if I like it I'll keep it.

Tree

-________-
Reaction score
Just chiming in to echo what’s already been said.

I’ve found it’s always best to call and ask. Each store has a different grading of the conditions based on the managers’ suggestions. So one store’s “fair” is another store’s “very good” etc.

It really doesn’t look bad. Either put in a little elbow grease to get it looking proper, send it back, or see if they’d be willing to give you some credit/refund/strings or whatever.

Edit: just saw that you spoke to them already. Is it a local store? If not try bringing it to one closer to you, show it to them and see if they can work something out. In my experience my local GCs will work with my online used purchases.

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just ship it to someone who can buff it back to shape tbh. Big scratches like that warranted a trip to the luthier.

Reaction score
Excellent condition means it's not on fire, pretty much.

Personally I've always had luck with their used section and I buy stuff almost exclusively from there. All of my guitars I bought that way and they were all marked "good" condition and damn if they didn't show up looking brand new. No breaks, cracks, repairs, chips in paint, scratches or anything.

decoy205

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I picked up an MiJ Jackson and an MIJ Ibanez 7421 from GC used.
As Max said it’s a gamble. They both had lots of finish issues but they were both very old so it was expected. Both great guitars after you put some love into em.
If you dig the guitar keep it and buff that stuff out. 400 is not a big investment if the guitar serves its purpose.

mxbraud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
States on the Manufactures website that a case is sold "separately" so that explains that and if the guitar plays and feels great then just buff out the top and maybe the neck being sanded might grow on you over time. You can take some fine sandpaper and finish the neck to a satin like finish also.

NeubyWanKaneuby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
None of the GC Used guitars are guaranteed to come with original cases or accessories unless explicitly stated. Always ask, sometimes that's all it takes.

This is a feature, not a bug, as they hold the cases to either sell separate or use in store, and that's if they even got them on trade in, which isn't always either.

The guitars and amps on GC Used are still used, in that they are what they are.

Agreed. I probably didn't convey what I meant very well. It was along the same lines of "make sure you ask before you buy" when you're looking at the used GC stuff. I've honestly had really good luck on a couple of buys from them, to include an almost mint PRS CU22.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
With GC used, I always call the store and have someone take me through the guitar. They are almost always honest on it. If I got this guitar listed as Excellent I would send it back. That is BS. That said, if you otherwise love it, maybe you could buff it out.