Boss ME-80 vs pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jwoods986, Jun 17, 2019.

1. jwoods986

jwoods986 SS.org Regular

I've mostly been a straight-into-the-amp kinda player, but about 2 months ago, I brought the few pedals I own out of the closet, and bought a few more to complete what I would want as a pedal setup to play around with and experiment a little. So now I have 8 pedals and the 1 spot 9-connector power supply, but it's a little messy and wouldn't be easy to move, take to a jam, etc., so now I would be looking at $140 for a PedalTrain Classic 1 to fit them. Or do I just get an ME-80, which has all my effects (and then some!) and sell the pedals? I can't find a local shop that has the ME-80 in stock, so I'm looking for advice/opinions from the faithful. These are the pedals I have now:
    Dunlop Wah
    TS9DX
    MXR Sub Machine (Oct/Fuzz)
    EVH Phase 90
    MXR Micro Flanger
    MXR Analog Chorus
    TC Flashback Delay

Two things to note -
    1. The 8th pedal (actually, first in the chain) is a Digitech Drop, which I would still need with the ME-80 because it can't do what the Drop does.
    2. I just bought a DSL40CR, and love the 4 channels, so I wouldn't really be using the preamp section of the ME-80, just the effects.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Buy a used board and power supply and enjoy.

Spinedriver likes this.
  3. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Sage advice. If you like the pedals you have, it'd be worth it to just put them on a board.
    If you didn't have any pedals whatsoever and were looking to get a bunch but not sure which ones, then the ME-80 would make more sense because there are a ton of options to experiment with.

I agree with budda though, it'd save a lot of money, headaches & hassles to just get a pedalboard & mount what you have.

4. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

The quality of the fx on me80 are not that great, especially the reverbs, imo.