Boss Katana mini - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by syzygy, Jan 14, 2022.

1. syzygy

syzygy SS.org Regular

Hey,

So I've been a drummer for years, but with a move to college came the realization that drums take up a lot of space. A couple months ago, I started taking up guitar, and last week, I bought my first electric. Sounds great, and I love it. But now, I'm in the market for a cheap and versatile amp. Full disclosure, I'm new to guitar, but I want to be able to have a couple different tones available. Looking online, the Boss Katana Mini amp seems like good bang for buck, with a few different tonal options and crazy portability. Anybody have any experience with this amp, either positive or negative? And any other advice on what to look into/stay clear of as a new player, gear-wise?

(also, as a semi-related question, what price range is good for guitar cables? I've heard that I shouldn't go too cheap or too pricey, but does anyone have any recommendations?)

2. CanserDYI

CanserDYI 5150 KVLT

Katana mini sounds fine for what it is, you wont be performing with it, thats for sure.

I wouldnt spend more than 10-20 dollars for a cable. It either works or it doesnt work, and anything cheaper you get what you pay for, and anything more expensive, you're being marketed to.

Hollowway and syzygy like this.
  3. syzygy

syzygy SS.org Regular

Thanks a ton! And yeah, I don't think I'd be performing for a while anyways. Just want an amp that I won't bother my roommates with but still get some cool sounds.

4. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

Katana Mini is my couch jamming amp.

Hard to beat because it does so much. Clean, crunch, high gain all in one battery powered box with just enough effects for basic jamming or learning songs.

syzygy and Leviathus like this.
  5. syzygy

syzygy SS.org Regular

Sweet! Gonna spring for it then, most likely. Thanks for the input, y'all are great!

Side question for anyone that's still here, because I don't want to start a million threads or anything: I love the guitar I bought, and for how cheap it was, I'm honestly fine with any small fit-or finish flaws, and there aren't any. But the strings aren't 100% aligned with the pole pieces on the stock pickups, especially on the high E. Is this a problem? I didn't hear any funkiness at the store, but just thought I'd ask. Got it set up to deal with some slight fretting-out issues already but didn't notice the pickup thing until yesterday.

6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

No. :)

syzygy likes this.
  7. Randy

Randy ✝✝✝ Super Moderator

The magnetic field of the pickups pole pieces is MUCH wider than the pole piece itself, so for all practical purposes, the string can't be far enough off-center to effect the sound.

syzygy likes this.
  8. syzygy

syzygy SS.org Regular

Awesome!

Thanks so much for the help, everyone! I bought the amp and it should be coming next week. Can't wait!

Leviathus likes this.
  9. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I would personally look for a Boss Katana 50 used. My area always has a bunch of them being sold through Offerup . I bought a mark II on there for $120. Many people buy them, get disappointed or give up on guitar and resell them.

syzygy likes this.
  10. syzygy

syzygy SS.org Regular

That's a good piece of advice but I already bought the mini. I figured the mini would be fine for now, and by the time I want/need something bigger, I could probably get something nicer than the Katana.

elkoki likes this.