Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by feraledge, May 1, 2018.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Same concept but i doubt its an exact clone.

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I was playing my Marshall Origin 50 with a clean boost into my Throne Torcher this morning. It was by far the best combo I’ve found for a “modern metal meets useable chainsaw” tone. I typically only have good luck into Solid State amps, but the Origin takes gain pedals like a boss.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  5. kleinenenten

kleinenenten SS.org Regular

This is actually a legitimate concern I have for getting a tube amp. I love my HM-2 tones, and don’t want to sacrifice them. I figured since the original tones I’m after used solid state, I’ll do the same. Also, you know, I’m cheap. But in all seriousness, buddy of mine has a decent tube amp. Sounds terrible with an HM-2 compared to my old solid state Peaveys.

6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I probably have around 15 tube amps and can confirm that very few of them sound okay at best with HM2’s. Most are noisy, squealy, and unusable. I’m actually able to get a tight low end and it’s quiet too.

Hopefully you can keep your SS amp/HM2 setup and just add a tube amp down the road.

7. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

God that’s weird, I’ve definitely noticed the same thing but after the last few posts I’m realizing the tube/solid state thing. I guess I also don’t particularly care for HM-2 in front of tube.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Stage IV GAS

:shrug: most of my tube amps get along fine with my hm2 type pedals

MAJ Meadows SF and ATRguitar91 like this.
  9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Mine sounds fine with my 6505, but I can't get a decent sound out of it into my 5150 III.

And actually, with my 6505 it sounds amaaaaazing. It took me a long, long time to figure out how to use it with that amp though. I do agree that with a lot of solid state amps, it's just plug and play, and you immediately get the Swedish death metal tone.

MAJ Meadows SF and ATRguitar91 like this.
  10. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

How do you use it with the 6505? Weren’t you putting it in the loop?

11. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I do sometimes still use it that way. The chainsaw is much more subdued that way but palm mutes are much tighter, so I can play faster riffs without everything mushing out.

But what I discovered more recently is running it up front, on the green channel/crunch off, but the amp gain dimed. So the clean channel, but not really clean at all. In fact, if you pick hard it’s in Recto territory. It’s still low enough gain that the HM-2 boosting it doesn’t completely wash out the sound with gain.

The result sounds massive, reasonably tight, with chainsaw grind just like Bloodbath’s Ressurection Through Carnage album.

12. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I’ll have to check that configuration out.

13. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    https://lonewolfaudio.bigcartel.com/product/dismember-signature-lhw-v3-pre-sale

preordered the second it dropped.

Just read thru the entire thread and I am glad to read all the input. I’ve used the HM-2 sound on and off over the years loving it’s manifestations. The drove of good bands now using it peeked my interest a few years ago so I grabbed an OG HM-2 and later the Merciless Distortion. The Airis a really good pedal and I’ve used it dimed and integrated into other pedal chains. It’s more polite than the original, so pretty useful.

A while back I borrowed the LHW because of Bloodbath and was floored. In short, it works with several of my amps and setups, and I loved the tweak-ability. I have been meaning to buy one for a while and the V3 just released was a no brainer. FYI I absolutely don’t care about the forum drama, spats, and personal opinions on the builder. For me, his stuff works, what I bought is built flawlessly, performs better than I expected, and I’ve never had a problem. A lot of sounds I’ve been chasing have been obtained By me with his stuff. It’s been worth it. If I get a legit suckass product or experience something shitty I will be transparent. So! In regards to this pedal, the combo idea is too rad for me to pass up. I own a Caveman and love it. It’s made for OSDM and does it well. It gets some awesomely gnarly DM and BM sounds, like Asphyx, Gorguts, Obituary, Death, and a slew of modern old school bands. It’s close to a do-it-all late ‘80s/early ‘90s pedal. Each amp I run it through gives off a different flavor. Bright switches and resonance on the amps really respond to it, and it’s been an endless cycle of dialing the amps and pedal in various ways to nail tones I want. No formula, just dialing back and forth, or one into the other. It broke me out of keeping the same favorite setting rut I’ve had in most of my amps. So overall it does what it’s advertised to, makes some disgustingly cool OSDM tones, and is super tweak-able to whatever amp you use. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been with an OD/distortion/preamp pedal.

Combining the Caveman with the LHW stripped to the 4 original HM-2 knobs has me totally fucking excited! I’ll give a fair judgement upon review. The write up on the page explains all the details, and I dig it. I think it’ll sound great. We’ll see.

Kovah, Necky379 and KailM like this.
  14. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

That thing looks crazy, definitely going to need some pics and clips when you get it.

15. MAJ Meadows SF

I don’t remember seeing them mentioned here, and searches turn up nothing, but has anyone tried Inverted Cross Audio’s HM-2 clone? Or tried any ICA pedals? His stuff appears to sound good (and looks rad!) but there is little info out there, just a few YouTube reviews:

I’m actually really interested in his Rat clones plus the 5150 & JCM 800 preamp clones. He has a Reverb shop and offers free custom black & white etching. Very nice touch. There will be a Morbid Angel inspired Rat clone coming my way. The HM-2 clone seems worth a try too, and shit it’s hard to argue with those prices! All the Euro market folks, this might be a brand worth checking out.

Necky379 likes this.
  16. MAJ Meadows SF

Well damnit I just stumbled upon Dirt Monger Instruments too, and they have a nasty HM-2 eq and clone. Anyone try this out yet?

I NEED!!! This will put some lead in your pencil. HHHHNNNNGGGG:

Masoo2 likes this.
  17. mp3357

mp3357 SS.org Regular

I just ordered their EQ...excited to try it with a RAT and some other stuff.. Didn't want to order the LWA 8-ball because I've had two bad experiences with build quality on the LHW deluxe..damn shame

18. MAJ Meadows SF

Yeah that’s understandable. I guess I’ve been lucky, and I’m only interested in tonal successes. But there are a crap load of options out there and a lot listed here. Dirt Monger has some interesting stuff for sure, and I am really keen on engaging IAC because besides having some really cool art, the designs are very intriguing and sound good to my ears. I guess IAC is pretty new because there is barely any info about them (him).

19. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

Got in on the most recent run of Evil Neds from Abominable. I have to say that this is the most useable HM-2 that I've ever used. I like being able to have the chainsaw tone without it completely taking over my base tone. Sounds absolutely crushing through my Peavey Invective.

20. MAJ Meadows SF

I saw one posted that was packaged in action figure plastic. That is the coolest thing of all time.