Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by feraledge, May 1, 2018.

1. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

My recommendation was that I didn't see anything to make me choose the Throne Torcher over the other two.
    So far, I don't personally like the pedal. Doesn't make it a bad pedal. It is considered great by some of the bands who made the HM2 famous.
    I also said I am collecting HM2 clones.
    You filled in a lot of blanks in that too get triggered.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

I never said it was a bad pedal, I was merely commenting on how it bothers me when people recommend products or endorse products they've never even used.
    You literally said "guy made a great pedal" when you hadn't tried it yet.
    But please, continue with your mental gymnastics when there's literal text showing what you said.

3. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Anyway.
    Will be giving the LHW a second try this weekend.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
  4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

@Asphyxia If you’re still playing with that LHW try it stacked with an OD. I really like my LHWD by itself but I usually boost it with a Reaper OD, it’s just a tweaked OCD. I’ve seen guys boost HM-2’s with Tubescreamers a lot too, I know Earth Rot does. Those things are so tweakable, I’m surprised there aren’t any sounds you’re finding with it that you like.

The 6 Hammer after it also gives you more flexibility with the mid range but instead of spending more maybe try an eq pedal in that spot? I have a 6 Hammer, I like it but I definitely don’t think it’s necessary the thing sounds brutal without it. I’ve been the 6 Hammer for other things lately.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    MAJ Meadows SF and Asphyxia like this.
  5. kleinenenten

kleinenenten SS.org Regular

I am glad to hear an honest review of the LHW. I don’t feel that I see many. It’s almost all 100% positive, which just isn’t likely for gear. I’d rather know all the good and bad about any product before spending cash on it.

To be totally honest, I’m partially happy for the honest review because it supports my take on the pedal. I debated for a year or more before buying mine, and was totally underwhelmed. One of the main reasons I bought it was all the hype. Wonder how many of those people had actually played it?

As always, if it (or any piece of your rig) works for you, rock it. Do your thing. Thus far, the Throat Locust is my thing for HM-2s, and the LHW is decidedly not. Sure plenty of people are in the opposite boat.

Asphyxia likes this.
  6. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

@Necky379 Played with it more last night. I can get good sounds out of it i like.
    It genuinely sounds very good.
    It is a victim of circumstances in my case.
    I have tweaked and tweaked my sound all around the merciless into a sound I love.
    So any pedal I try now has to compete with what I am now accepting as my sound. As a gear junkie its hard to accept that I might not need more gear lol.
    I'm using the merciless as a boost, it excels at that. The LHW doesn't fit in as a boost IMO as good. It still sounds very good. It just doesn't give me the same chainsaw EQ in that place in my chain. With the LHW I have to turn the gain up to get it into chainsaw territory when using as a boost, which brings tons of noise. With my merciless I just crank the high. Virtually no noise with the merciless.
    I will try it with my 805 into it use it as an entirely different chain with the LHW as my main gain source.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  7. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I can definitely get behind that. I would never use it as a boost, the Throne Torcher is better as a boost IMO.

8. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Last LHW post. I got it dialed in. I use a quilter SS power amp. Was running my setup out front because it really didn't sound different in the loop. The LHW does. It now lives up to every expectation I had for it and will probably be a permanent fixture on my board. It does everything my Merciless did except I tweaked out some of the stuff I didn't like. Probably going to stop with HM2s after this one. When I said earlier that LWA made a great pedal which I based off tons of videos and people who had played the pedal. Now proved to be true(this is my personal opinion). Its a great pedal!

9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Regarding the Left Hand Wrath, do you really need to use an isolated power supply? For my home jam rig I just a One Spot and Daisy chain.

Will that damage the pedal or will it just produce a ton of noise?

10. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

I run mine off an output that is shared with another pedal on my ISO 5 and have no issues. Not sure what the current draw is though.

11. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

the main problem with the LHW is that the builder is a massive chode.

12. kleinenenten

Anybody try the Rocktek Metal Worker? Supposedly an HM-2, but never heard of it until yesterday. May try and track one down.

13. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Had a Metal Worker and sold it recently. I only sold it because I have a lot of HM-2 type pedals and I’ve been selling off gear I don’t use. It’s a good copy, it doesn’t sound particularly unique or anything it just sounds like what it is. It didn’t have that brightness/presence I hear from the Behringer clone. The MIJ’s I have are darker sounding than the Behringers too so I would say as a budget minded pedal it’s even closer sounding to the originals than the Behringers. I’m talking about very minor variations in sound though, they all sound very similar. No added features like a LHWD or Throne Torcher. The enclosure is plastic but it seemed sturdy.

kleinenenten likes this.
  14. kleinenenten

Regarding brightness, I’ve always wondered if part of that is component drift on the originals and clones of that era. I’ve had a few modern clones, and each one was brighter than the MITs I have. The Rockteks are the same era as the HM-2s I believe, so that could be why they sound closer to the originals, since the Behringers are made more recently.

15. yellowv

yellowv Turd Ferguson Contributor

That’s a major understatement. LOL

16. kleinenenten

Spent some time A/B’ing my MIT and Throat Locust. All the talk of the EQ being the selling point of the pedal and the limited scope of the gain knob got me thinking about trying to get the chainsaw tone with slightly less high end fizz (my main concern with the traditional chainsaw tone). Gotta say, I think the MIT won out, which very much surprised me because I love the Throat Locust.

Here’s what I did:
    Reduced gain knob to about 10:00. Still plenty of distortion into my clean channel, but more manageable fizz and usable with a gate (that can share settings to quiet ALL my pedals instead of needing its own gate). Lows are still cranked, highs are about 4:00 to 4:30, volume to taste. It gives me just the right amount of grind and compression, but without being overbearing.

And, as an added bonus, this frees my Throat Locust up for bass duty. It is most certainly the best HM-2 for bass I’ve tried. Saves me from having to buy a second one!

17. Vez

Vez New Member

This is relative new HM2 inspired pedal. Really dig the sound:

18. cyb

cyb Tune Low Play Slow

I'm new to the chainsaw thing (even though I've been listening to Entombed for years, go figure...) I decided to start out cheap with an HM300. I received it today and I've gotten some really nice tones running it in front of my Kemper. I'm already contemplating getting one of the "boutique" clones or even tracking down an actual hm-2. It would seem I'm already addicted to this tone.

The pedal is noisy as hell though, but I thought I read somewhere that the HM300 is noisier than other clones? Considering the price, I guess that's to be expected...

19. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Just went through this thread a bit as i love that good old swedish chainsaw sound. I saw that klirrton and the grindstein had been mentioned briefly.
    I got one since early december but unfortunately did not have that much time with it yet ( pre-holiday madness and, yeah, holiday madness :) ). What i can say so far is that I like it.
    Basically, it has two channels named chainsaw, which is the top row of knobs, and bottomshaker, which are the lower knobs. These basically fill in the missing frequencies. That fat knob in the middle is used to blend these two. That's when you use it as a preamp.
    The way i love to used it even more is in front of my amp, using the fx send and return of the pedal. This way, the bottomshaker knobs are turned off and you basically blend the chainsaw with the amps preamp. Doing this with my driftwood purple nightmare puts a nasty grin on my face.

Recently there has been a video up on youtube by one of the cytotoxin guys where he demos it a bit with a less chainsawish sound, showing what a tight distortion it is capable of when the blend knob is turned rather towards the bottomshaker channel.

20. kleinenenten

Got a Rocktek Metal Worker the other day. Initial impressions are positive. Definitely an HM-2 clone, but a little looser sounding and slightly more low mids. Kinda halfway between the MITs I have and the Arion Metal Masters I have. Certainly usable if you like HM-2s.

Also got another Throat Locust since my first one is now dedicated to bass duty. I keep going back and forth as to whether I prefer the TL or the MIT. Both are amazing. Guess if I had to nitpick, the TL is a little clearer, but really, they would both do anybody good if you want these tones.