Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by feraledge, May 1, 2018.

1. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Left Hand Wrath on the way. Dick or not the guy made a great pedal.

Blasphemer likes this.
  2. kleinenenten

kleinenenten SS.org Regular

Good luck with it! As much as I wanted to like it, I found it to be no better than others at far cheaper price points. Hopefully it works for you! I know that I have a strong dislike of fizz, which is a hard thing to deal with for someone who also loves the HM-2, and I found this one to be a bad offender fizz-wise. Regardless, it is highly regarded by most, including Dismember, so maybe it’s a rig specific issue. I’ve toyed with the idea of trying it again, but I think I’m gonna try out some others first.

3. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

I find my LHW to be pretty picky when it comes to the amp it's going into. It does not jive with my Mark V, but it sounds amazing with the 5150 rhythm channel.

kleinenenten likes this.
  4. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

I'm using a PLX FX Spirytus(VH140C)preamp. So a little fizz is what my situation calls for. I'm pretty picky and it has a lot of options for tweaking. I like to be just into chainsaw territory without going overboard.
    Also at this point I'm just going after every HM2 like a collector.

Necky379 likes this.
  5. kleinenenten

Wish I had the cash to collect these things! And plenty of others...

Asphyxia likes this.
  6. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I’ve used that exact combo and they sound great together. I’ve got a rackmount Spirytus and a LHWD. The 6 Hammer EQ matches well with the Spirytus too.

Asphyxia likes this.
  7. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Yeah I was tempted ask for a rack mount myself. Looks pretty damn nice. Also looked at the 6 hammer. The low end on the Spirytus is massive. I went with the LHW because the mids are controllable. Without the mid and high decouple like on all my clones with them coupled its hard to set up just right. I have to sacrifice one or the other. I figure the presence and blend should also compliment it.

8. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

The mids too on that thing. When I first set it up I threw all the eq knobs to 12 o’clock thinking it’d be a good starting point. After spending time dialing it in the low and mid knobs stay 1/4 way up or less most of the time, highs are cranked pretty high always. The settings look crazy but I’ve never owned an actual VH-140C.

Asphyxia likes this.
  9. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Yeah I got the low barely on and the mids at 1/4. The lows are crazy on it. I want to try it with a fuzz pedal. Not really into Doom but it sounds like it was made for it.

10. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I’ve used it for that too, and yup. My favorite combination for doom with it was guitar ->Big Muff I modified for more low end—>Throne Torcher->Spirytus. Definitely try it out if you’ve got a Muff around.

11. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

I think my next purchase might be the PLX FX FUM Fuzz. The Spirytus made me a convert.

12. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

What do y'all think is the best added feature on an HM2 clone? I'm debating between the Throne Torcher, Left Hand Wrath, and Throat Locust.

The TT has added LED clipping and a clean blend. The LHW has basically everything, and the Throat Locust has added clipping options and a parametric mid adjustment.

The clean blend is the function I most want, but the extra clipping options on the LHW are intriguing. Not sure they justify the added cost though.

13. kleinenenten

For me, it’s the adjustable mids. I have had 2 of 3 of those mentioned. Here’s my take:

Left Hand Wrath - Not worth it. Lots of fizz in my rig (I hear that’s rig-specific, however - I have a Peavey Transtube Supreme). It does the chainsaw no problem, but so do pretty much all the other clones, and this costs almost 2-3 times more than many other quality builds. I found the highs too shrill, but when I backed them off, I lost too much definition, even with mids cranked to compensate. The presence was nothing but bees, and similar to the the highs killed definition when set to a tolerable level for me. The blend was functional, but not necessary. The circuit has plenty of low end. I am interested in a blend for bass, however. The extra footswitch was kinda cool, though not tons different from the standard tone. The other clipping diodes were useful, but ultimately I found the standard diodes to be the best. Add all of this to the excessive cost, the owner’s general disdain for customers/interested parties/competition, and the long wait time (if bought direct), it just wasn’t worth it. To put it simply, I was very underwhelmed with this pedal. I found it good for straight up chainsaw and nothing else, with anything not the exact duplication of that tone lacking. I opted to pass mine along. It sounds fantastic in demos and is endorsed by plenty of artists and other guitarists, which is why I purchased it, but it didn’t live up to anywhere near the hype for me. That being said, others love it, and he must be doing something right as Dismember, Bloodbath, and others in the genre swear by his pedal.

Throat Locust - My favorite HM-2 thus far, and by a wide margin. Hard to find reviews of this for some reason. Very functional tweaks to the circuit, and still retains the HM-2 tone if you want it. Easy to get great sounding variations of the chainsaw with the mid frequency options. The highs and mids are both very tweakable and usable, and able to get chainsaw tones without tons of fizz. To me, that makes this pedal. I can easily go from low mid punch to hi mid cut on my guitar with a single mids frequency knob. I found the diodes more usable on this one, but settled on A (which I believe is stock). B makes a convincing argument, though, and I could see many people preferring that. Overall, the only thing I think may (and I stress may) improve this pedal is a blend. I love this thing on guitar, and it is my go-to HM-2 for that, but wonder about my bass rig. It is still my favorite on bass, too, though since I don’t need/want the searing chainsaw tones on bass but still want something in that ballpark, I wonder about the blend. There is plenty of bass in the circuit, so the blend isn’t absolutely necessary, but you never know until you try.

The Throne Torcher is on my shortlist to add to my collection only because of the blend. If it had adjustable mids... Still on the hunt for a bass HM-2, and may or may not get a second Throat Locust. Again, blend intrigues me.

Hope that helps!

14. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Throat Locust is next on my list. I've not heard a bad word about it. Never seen anything to make me pick a throne torcher over the other two.

15. kleinenenten

Can’t remember where (May have been here!), but I remember reading somewhere that the Throne Torcher is more friendly to hardcore style guitars, but that it is also rather capable of chainsaw. Basically, a bit more friendly to more sounds than just chainsaw tones. Which seems like it might be my ticket for bass, as straight up chainsaw is probably too much for my bass tastes.

16. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Lefthand Wrath arrived. Ehhh, I am underwhelmed.
    Played around with it for an hour or so. Give it another try this weekend.
    For now the Aris Merciless is still on the board.

17. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

i liked the airis effects merciless distortion a lot. ultimately I sold off all my HM-2s and kept the dunwich modified heavy metal as it has the MAX button which is apex.

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

lmao I like how asphyxia was talking up the LHW before he had even tried it.

LeftOurEyes likes this.
  19. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

That happens a lot on here with people. I'll see something like an amp just get announced and people are already recommending it to others talking about how awsome it is...6 months before it's even out.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Nothing fucking triggers me more than people recommending gear they haven't personally tried. It's just the blind leading the blind and it happens all the time in fb music groups. Last time I saw it here was when Arshu became enamored with elysian pickups and said they were his favorite pickups blah blah and had never tried them. Or in another pickup thread where someone who's never used Ragnaroks is recommending them...

ElysianGuitars and 0rimus like this.