Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by feraledge, May 1, 2018.

1. kleinenenten

kleinenenten SS.org Regular

I have no plans on boosting these pedals, so that’s not a big deal to me. What are your general thoughts on the Throat Locust besides noise level? I have a few HM-2s, so I’m really looking for something that keeps that tone, but is still a little flexible. I know I can get an HM-300 stupid cheap, and one of my buddies has one, but I still think I can get somewhere with another pedal.

Here are all the HM-2s I’ve either owned or tried:
    MIT x2
    Metal Master x2 (favorite on bass!)
    BYOC Swede
    Super American Metal x2
    LWA Left Hand Wrath (not worth it IMO, sold it)
    HM-300
    Fab Tone (heard that was a clone, but not sure)

Of those, the MITs are my favorites, with the Super American Metals and BYOC close behind. However, for bass, the Metal Master just sounds meatier, maybe more low mids or something. I don’t really find a blend necessary, and all of my Earthbound Pedals have been the exact tweaks I needed on the circuits I like, so I was just hoping the Throat Locust was more of the same. If it comes down to it, I will buy gates for them, I’d just prefer not to, of course.

Thanks for the response!

Bearitone likes this.
  2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

If flexibility is what you want i say the throat Locust is the way to go. You get so much control with the 3 band EQ with parametric mids. Plus clipping options? Plus Earthbound Audio is small enough that he will probably add additional features (within reason) if you request them.

He once built me an Iron Pig after they were discontinued. Very accommodating guy

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  3. kleinenenten

The Iron Pig is actually why I’m looking into a Throat Locust. After trying what many consider to be “the Rat” for bass (Dunwich Volt Thrower, which is great, just not for me), I was left underwhelmed and felt I was always fighting it. The Iron Pig I got recently just felt right, had all the right tweaks, and was super easy to dial in, as is my Supercollider ‘71. With a great track record so far on my boards, I figured I should give the Throat Locust a go.

I did a quick “noise floor” test here too a minute ago. The noisiest HM-2 I have is my BYOC Swede, and it’s only necessitated its gate recently since I’ve upgraded my pickups to the Nazgûl and Pegasus. The increased gain makes my “fancier” dirt sound even better, but gives the Swede more feedback than the simple Smart Gate in my FX loop can handle without squashing all other dirt.

In other words, is the Throat Locust’s noise floor comparable to the MIT version or Super American Metal? I have no extra noise concerns with those pedals.

4. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I LOVED the iron pig for doom stuff. I totally see it working well for bass.

As far as noise goes, it was noisy. How noisy compared to the ones you mentioned, i couldn’t say to be honest.

The way you describe the smart gate makes it seem like it behaves a little oddly. If you ever get sick of, try a decimator. There hasn’t been a pedal, or combination of pedals, the the decimator couldn’t silence and it never affects the gain structure in any way.

5. kleinenenten

That’s precisely how I would describe my Smart Gate, actually, with my Decimator being #2... The only exceptions are really noisy pedals like HM-2s, but only when absolutely cranked. They generate enough noise that I have to set it high enough that the gate silences other pedals.

And of course, now that I try my Decimator, the switch goes wonky and won’t stay engaged...

After a quick temporary fix to my Decimator, it is better than my Smart Gate for this issue. It does however, clamp down “unnaturally” at times. Though if we’re talking HM-2 and “natural sounding” together, we must be confused... Gotta say, better than I recalled. May have to swap a Decimator and Smart Gate on a board to make this work.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

A pic they had on facebook said they had 500 Evil Neds in the works.
    It seems to be exactly what I want.

7. kleinenenten

Throat Locust incoming. Should be here early next week. I’ll post my thoughts when I get a chance to give it a good run-through. It seems to be one of the few that hasn’t been mentioned here much.

8. kleinenenten

A few minutes in to jamming on the Throat Locust and I gotta say, this is the BEST HM-2 I’ve ever played. The 3 band EQ means I can keep the shrillest of highs out of my tone while keeping the grinding mids intact. The frequency control means I can tweak the exact tone of my mid-grind from low-mid punch on my bass to high-mid searing distortion on guitar, all while keeping the distinctive peaks of the circuit’s EQ close. The distortion knob adds noticeable gain throughout its run as does the volume knob, both improvements over the original. The noise floor is comparable to my MIJ and my Arion Metal Masters, which is to say it’s an HM-2, so not quiet, but manageable. The diode selector adds a slightly different flavor into the mix, and is likely the only tweak I don’t really care for, but it doesn’t hurt anything either. I imagine some people will quite like it.

This is the best HM-2 I’ve ever played by FAR.

To be fair, I’m only using it for chainsaw, so if that’s not your thing, this pedal might not be either, but wow - it rips!

I think Earthbound Audio has become my new favorite dirt company. All 3 of their boxes I have are incredibly easy to dial in and have fantastic tones. 2 of 3 are my favorite versions of that circuit, with the 3rd being just barely edged out by a pedal that has taken me years to master. Seriously, if you’re looking for dirt, I think they’re the way to go these days.

0rimus, KailM and Blasphemer like this.
  9. kleinenenten

Anybody ever use a Wounded Paw Black Wolf? Sounds pretty great in demos.

After a while with my Throat Locust, it’s still amazing. Not quite as compressed as my MIT, but more open. I think I prefer my MIT on guitar just a smidge, but not much. Maybe I’m a purist, or maybe I need to keep twiddling knobs. It is however, the best on bass, which is what I had really hoped to use it for anyway.

10. b0nkersx

b0nkersx SS.org Regular

Nice man, I have one on order right now, should arrive some time next week. I have most of the clones right now, plus an MIJ. Looking forward to seeing how the Throat Locust compares.

11. kleinenenten

Did you snag the one off of Reverb? I had thought about it, but have other gear necessities to fix first now that my bass is humming like crazy... Yay shielding issues!

12. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I figured i’d add to this thread instead of making a NPD. I was able to get a white on white preorder for this right before the first preorder sold out and it showed up yesterday. This is the new pedal from Lone Wolf Audio, The Bump.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My cables are a rats nest, I haven’t tidied up since it came and I changed things up. The signal chain splits from the Valvulator, one output going to the 5150 the other going to the Diezel VH-4 preamp running into the Roadmaster FX return. I’m boosting the VH-4 with the SD-1 into The Bump.

If anyone is unfamiliar with it, it’s a single knob blendable EQ. There are internal trim pots to adjust lows, low mid, high mid, high. I haven’t touched them, no reason to. It’s curve recreates the eq from his Left Hand Wrath pedal. I’ve got the Deluxe LHW, it’s a great pedal and the most tweakable HM-2 clone I have. After playing with The Bump for a couple days I’ve decided I like it in front of the preamp. It can be used after the preamp as well but it absolutely dominates the tone there even with the blend knob low, much more subtle up front. I’ve had this Diezel preamp a long time and never really liked the sound. Not that it sounds bad, actually it’s the opposite. I always found it too smooth and liquidy. I prefer my 5150 over it every time but it’s come in handy for recording so I kept it for that. With this in mind I figured it’d be the perfect candidate to try out with The Bump and now I don’t think it’s going to leave my board. With The Bump out front and the SD-1 boosting it’s a match. I’ve been looking for something to compliment my 5150 in a dual amp rig, unexpectedly this might be it. I’m just waiting to hear it in a mix and also how this setup fares next to another guitarists rig. I think it’s going to do the trick. This is the 3rd LWA I’ve picked up and even though it’s the simplest I believe it’s going to get the most usage. It’s awesome, it really is.

Bearitone likes this.
  13. kleinenenten

So it’s just the EQ curve of the HM-2 in a blend pedal? That seems to be gaining popularity. There’s another builder (Dunn, I think?). Who makes a “Death Knob” or something that seems to be the same, but makes no mention of internal trim pots. Wonder if it is the same.

14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

The eq curve of the HM2 is where a lot of the sound happens. If you have an axe FX or are using a plugin to play guitar, you can make this curve with a parametric eq, it’s pretty cool

8D36C0FA-B509-48D0-B23C-505D6108F1C9.png

Yellow line is both knobs on 10

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  15. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Got a Airis Merciless Distortion a few weeks back.
    It is perfect for what I wanted.
    The high control takes you to instant death metal territory.
    You can roll it back just slightly to not be overbearing HM2 grind.
    If you are looking for a boost in HM2 style I highly recommend it.
    It puts off very little noise.
    For people that want the dimed out HM2, just get a Eyemaster and save some money.
    TBH most people in this thread probably have multiple HM2 and clones.

16. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Yes exactly! I’ve haven’t heard of any other builder making one but I’ll check that “Death Knob” out I’m curious if it’s the same thing. I can take a gut shot of the trim pots later if anyone is interested. I opened it up to see what kind of control was available with the trimpots and just closed it up without tweaking anything.

17. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

After messing around with my HM-2 for probably at least a decade now, and getting inconsistent but sometimes good results, I finally found THE sound the other day:

HM-2 > 6505 green channel, crunch OFF/Bright ON, gain DIMED > Boss GE-7 in the loop (actually, it's a little more detailed than that; I can share settings if you're interested)

I thought my house was going to fall apart. :deathm:

Gonna start working on a demo soon. Gents, I'd suggest you start working your neck muscles now so your heads don't fall off. :mf666:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  18. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

shameless self promotion
    - start!
    I've started tracking guitars for my bands new 4 song EP.
    RGA8 (D'activator) > TC EyeMaster > 5150 > 2notes captor (mesa and brownyback cabs).
    Sounds pretty disgusting so far (in a good way!!). I have the 5150 gain down to 2 IIRC.
    I have the free trial of parallax for bass atm and it sounds awesome too.
    - end!

19. kleinenenten

Got some quality time in with the Throat Locust on guitar today. Definitely the best HM-2 I’ve tried. Tweaks the circuit in just the right ways to make it work for me (aka less shrill highs that are controllable). I love the mid frequency knob. That, combined with the separate 3 band EQ really make this work for me. I’m able to get a good amount of bass, then tailor the mids back a bit and the highs a good deal so that I get a bass heavy (relatively speaking) version of HM-2 that my MITs have, but no other clone has been quite able to nail. All the other clones have been shrieking treble, and when I adjust it starts to negatively affect the rest of the tone. The Throat Locust solves all that.

Still love it on bass, too, though I think that it’s still a bit extreme for me bass-wise. This thing has officially made it onto my guitar board, though.

20. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

Does anyone know what the cheapest and most expensive hm2 variants are?