Boss HM2/Clone Chainsaw Megathread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by feraledge, May 1, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

hm300 is also quite good, plus it's even cheaper. Both are really good for the dimed chainsaw noises, but you can at least do something other than the dimed swedish sound with the hm300 if you want (which nobody who buys it ever wants to do for long :lol: )

2. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

It was sort of TC's fault. Their first demo and "Official Product Video" was terrible and pushed the pedal into doing something it's plainly not designed for.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I found a cool trick using the hm300 (hm-2). I love it so much that the pedal is almost always on now.

First i set my high gain tone how i normally enjoy it.

Then I set the hm300 with the volume and bass dimed, treble at about 1:30 (45degrees), and gain at zero. I run this into an OD808x set as a boost (volume maxed, tone at noon, gain at zero). Then I roll back the volume knob on the guitar all the way down, strum a chord, then roll the volume back up until i hear the sound come back and the gain saturate at a reasonable level (the volume knob is basically barely on)

The result of this double boosting and rolled back volume (with the HM-2 first in be chain) is awesome. I can still “djent” and play big chords no problem but, there’s this grind in each chord and some chunky low end brought back to the sound. It’s like i get to keep my high gain tone and sprinkle in some chainsaw.

Really it’s awesome. The effect is less apparent on higher output pickups (in my experience) but still there.

Bonus. If you do roll the volume all the way back up you get a blistering chainsaw fuzz thing going on. So the volume knob lets you basically roll between tight/modern to huge/disgusting.

Try and let me hear if you guys get similar results!

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

just tried this with the hm300 and my throne torcher into the front of my revv and it worked really well.
    Clip starts with base high gain sound, then hm300 engaged, and then testing the vol roll-off point. Throne torcher is engaged at 1:27 and then I flip between the regular sound and the LED clipping sound (thicker gnarlier sound than regular). I tested the vol roll-off point with the throne torcher as well.
    https://app.box.com/s/z4r29o8l384smggon36zxvh4kwj1y0xh

Bearitone likes this.
  5. NosralTserrof

NosralTserrof SS.org Regular

I have a Throne Torcher.

It's awesome.

EDIT:

That's a video that helped me to tame the HM2. Gain knob maxed doesn't really work for my sound but using the HM2 essentially as an EQ/booster/TS rules as hell

6. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Sounds wicked! I tried it with my MIJ. I’ll have to grab my Throne Torcher and HM300 as well. I still like to pull the bass and level back a hair but you’re onto something

Bearitone likes this.
  7. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

HM-2/Clone into Audio interface then into amp sim of choice. Anyone had any luck? Di Box needed? I'm having a massive brain fart over this one.

8. NosralTserrof

Seems right to me, kinda like using a TS before hitting your DI box/interface/whatever.

Maybe use your DI in front of the HM2 in case you wanna reamp?

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The HM2 has a buffer, right? Would a DI box still be needed?

10. NosralTserrof

Assuming it's a clone, it could be true bypass, so in that case DI box would be ideal

11. Ethenmar

Ethenmar slow and low

The Angry Swede. Possibly, the best HM2 clone.
    Made in Spain by Decibelics.
    Cooming soon.

Vyn and 0rimus like this.
  12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Is the HM-2 true bypass? Or buffered?

It’s the first signal in my chain and if it’s not buffered I’d like to try a clone that is buffered

13. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

All boss pedals I know of are buffered bypass.

General rule of thumb, if you unplug the power and it doesn’t pass signal when bypassed, it’s buffered bypass

14. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Nice! Thanks :) I’ll have to try that trick when i get home

Hopefully that Decibelics one is buffered bypass too because i really want that mini form factor

15. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I bought the Eyemaster after watching Arnold-plays-guitar's review of it... and realizing its like $75 CAD.
    My Behringer hm300 started glitching/cutting out, and before I smash it into 1000 pieces or blow it up with tannerite.... I decided to replace it and keep it as a backup.

To me, it sounds just like my hm300 (level/low/mid cranked and gain on 0) and is built 100X better.
    I like the simple gain/level setup on the eyemaster. Gain at 0 and level at max, or almost max.
    I run my 5150 amp gain at 2 and it sounds super gnarly!

I was just messing around with it and my two notes captor and randomly wrote a 3 song black metal EP.

Super cool pedal. I have never tried an HM-2 ... but both the hm300 (when it works) and Eyemaster are sick.

Attached Files:

16. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

Anyone else owns a XIX HMD-1? Got mine yesterday and I'm really impressed by the Focus knob! Video is coming soon!

17. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I have one! Turning down the focus knob gives the most insane snarl, it's unlike anything else out there

Turgon likes this.
  18. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

Grabbed a MiT for 90$ on reverb tonight, stoked to add another to the collection

19. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I couldn’t decide if I should post this here or make a new thread. Yesterday I placed a pre-order for the latest from LWA.
    https://lonewolfaudio.bigcartel.com/product/the-bump-one-knob-chainsaw-eq-pre-sale
    I’ve got a white on white version on reserve. It’s a simple concept but to test the idea I did some experimenting on my own. I ran my 5150 preamp out into a LHWD going into the power amp in on my Roadmaster. Since the LHWD has a blend knob I can essentially do the same thing the Bump was built for. I’m surprised I haven’t tried this sooner. Lately I just let the 5150 do it’s thing but years ago I always had an eq in the loop to remove some low mids and boost some high mids similar to an HM-2. I know other builders have HM-2 clones with a blend knob, has anyone else tried this? The sound I have with the two amps running together is eeevil. 5150->1960tv with no LHWD and 5150 preamp out->LHWD->Roadmaster in->Recto cab
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KailM likes this.
  20. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I was lucky enough to snag an Evil Ned from Abominable Electronics. It's a collab between him and God City which is a transparent overdrive with a slightly adjusted HM-2 EQ curve. They sold out in less than a minute, so I feel pretty lucky to have grabbed one. Can't wait for it to show up!