Bored of the V30 sound. Am I of the only one ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Korneo, Jul 6, 2019.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Since I can't edit this... One of the most crushing tones I've heard is AiC's Black gives Way To Blue. That's supposed to be a Bogner into a Marshall or Bogner cab loaded with either only Greenbacks, or a V30/Greenie mix.

Korneo likes this.
  2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

I always swapped them for Legend V128s and either made my money back or profited selling them.

c7spheres likes this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

this the scumbacks i use are basically high powered creambacks and greenbacks.

4. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

I've played a fair amount of speakers and to me, for low tuned high gain sounds, the V30 is just better than anything else in a band mix. I could see why some would prefer a flatter, less spikey sound when playing alone, though.

5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Ever since I tried a Vader cab, I have been in the Eminence Legend V12 camp. They have some of that V30 character but they are high powered and sounds fuller. Awesome on cleans too.

But lately, I am trying Neo magnet speakers now. Hit or miss so far, but I am loving those DV Mark Neos. They sound british but they are so light.

6. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

I used V30s since owning my first decent amp 15 years ago. Last year I switched to G12T75s and much prefer them. The bigger bottom end, the more open sound, even the fizz that some people hate about them I love as well. V30s are fine and when we borrow cabs for shows I'm not too picky about whats in them, most of the time its one or the other anyway and I'm just glad to not have to carry my own.

The 75s though I find take effects better/clearer at high gain. Phasers and flangers, delays and slight detune effects that I use all sound clearer.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Which Neos are those? I tried the DV Mark 4x12 and liked it but felt that it still lacked a bit of character, like the speakers were a bit too balanced or something. But my only comparisons were with a lot of V30 cabs so that might skew me one way. I did like them better than the V30s though and the about 22 kilo weight of that cab would be much appreciated.

8. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I have tried the Gambale 2x12 cab. I thought it was too "clean". The ones I have are the DV Mark Neoclassics. At low volume maybe they can sound different vs when I turn my amp up like volume 2 on a 5150II. They sound a bit on the Greenback, Brown side of things. Marshall british rather than modern V30 british.

I put those Neoclassics in my Genz Benz GFlex 2x12. I'm loving them in that cab for my modeler rig. 300 watts total and they sound aggressive and clear.

9. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Lots of V30 hate in this thread!

There's no point in replacing V30s with something fairly similar (Eminence CV-75 or, worse, the V12). If you are truly looking for a different speaker/sound, you should look into the Creamback G12M 65 Watt. It is an excellent speaker and a cross between the Greenback and the V30. What this means is that it is better on the low end and with gain than the Greenback, but not as harsh as the V30. The guy from Opeth uses one and says it is the best sound he's had (Total Guitar).

icipher likes this.
  10. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Of course there is. If your tone knob is just a little to high, you turn it a bit, you don't toss the guitar. The V30 is a fantastic speaker that just needs a little tweaking, and just a little can be quite a lot when you start turning knobs as well.

11. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I assume you are referring to the use of the amp's EQ for small adjustments and tweaking? The comment you wrote is unfortunately rather confusing.

12. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

From time to time, I really regret my 1960 with V30/T75 X pattern. It sound aggressive and massive.
    In a bigger cab like my MF400, it should sound damned good. But for now, I stay with a K100/V30 combination.

13. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

This video really give a good idea of why I don't like the V30.
    The greenback sound clear, the T75 sound tight, the V30 muffled and dark.

I know the Mesa cab is dark and big, but we can clearly hear the difference.

Mourguitars likes this.
  14. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I use Emi Legend EM12s. EVM-12L style speaker, but I think they're voiced a little better. Heavy as all hell at 16lbs each. But handle 200 watts. A buddy compared my 112 with his Mesa 412 through a Mark V. He liked my 112 better.

15. Choop

Choop n______n

I really like V30's, but I do prefer to mix them in a cab if given the option. I had a Mesa 4x12 with V30s and G12t-75s in an X pattern and it sounded great! My Mesa 2x12 open back has a V30 and a 65 Creamback and it's absolutely fantastic. Eventually I'd like to swap a couple of the V30s out of my other 4x12 with Creambacks!

Korneo likes this.
  16. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Sort of, it doesn't have to be the amps knobs, or small adjustments. From my experience, V30 clones are meant to be smoother and more balanced in the mid range, true with the Weber version, and the Eminence. Allowing some serious mid range boosting, without getting that ear spike that comes out in the V30. It comes down to taste of course, some people find the V30 dark and unbalanced to begin with, due to a slight scoop.

You can alter your tone in many ways, by "turning" various "knobs" (parameters) in your signal chain, even more than just your amps face.

17. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

These look really cool and I was tempted to get a pair for a 2x12 I’m in the process of building, but I think I’m gonna go creambacks this time. I’m still tempted by the neutral speaker thing though, I’m sure I’ll try it at some point.

Thaeon likes this.
  18. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I think I like the V30 when mixed with something else. But never alone...
    But with this thread, I'm curious about the V30 clones.

19. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

V30s have their place, but I prefer greenbacks and k100s. A very odd speaker that I like are f60s (I think they are rock drivers?). They are similar to the k100s, but less dense in the low mids. I have them paired with greenbacks in my cobra cab and they are perfect for thick but clear tones.

Creambacks have piqued my interest, but I dont really need another cab right now.

20. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

E471DD47-1B61-4C6F-937C-198C9C99C3B9.jpeg V30’s have there place some amps they shine with others no...I have a 2x12 with a Vet30 / greenback..awesome , Just put the G12 T-75’s back in my orange 2x12 awesome as well more clarity with effects

Just heard this rig today and the V30’s with this Blackstar had way too much midrange with EL34’s but it’s a mid heavy amp and mid heavy cab ....so ? I think a 6L6 tubes would sound better

Mike