Bored of the V30 sound. Am I of the only one ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Korneo, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

Hi everybody,

After like 20 years of playing and listening to metal, I think I'm bored of the V30 sound.
    They sound not really clear, not really tight, not really heavy etc..
    It's in the middle of everything for me.
    And we can hear it everywhere, on every record, every live, every rehearsal room, etc...

For information, this the cab with V30 I've own during all those years :

- Laboga 4x12 Premium (I ended up replace 2 V30 with some ELV Black Label)
    - Marshall 1960 (Swap all 4 G12T75 to replace with V30, then go back with a X pattern of both)
    - Mesa OS 4x12
    - Mesa 2x12
    - My last and actual one : Marshall MF400 with a mix of G12K100 and 2 Mesa V30

I like it only when mixed with something different :
    G12T75 + V30 is aggresive and tight
    K100 + V30 Mesa is heavy, tight and fast tracking

The problem is that we can ear it on 99% of the metal record actually because it's easy to mix.
    I really like some CD without V30 because the sound is different. We can analyse it more and stay away of the generic sound.

Am I alone in this case ?

Dame Ningen likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I’ve never really liked v30s.

Been using scumbacks for like 8-9 years now.

Nitrobattery and Korneo like this.
  3. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've never liked them at all. I don't record so i don't know what they're like for that. But when i've played them in person it's like someone scraping their nails down a blackboard to me. I like G12T75s, which is really weird because people who like V30s seem to report the reason they don't like the 75s is the same reason i don't like the V30s :lol:

Go figure.

Korneo likes this.
  4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

When you use V30s in isolation they sound harsh and scratchy and all these other qualifiers that people don't like, but when you use them in a band context those are the things that make them cut through. It's the same with people who say Marshalls and Moogs are buzzy. Those buzzy frequencies are the ones that make you audible when playing with others.

couverdure, Masoo2, gabito and 3 others like this.
  5. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

No sir, you are not alone. V30's are the same kind of meat n potatoes as 5150's are for metal, but like you that's one of the reasons why i can't get on with them. They sound great when you hear other peoples recordings, but when i play through them there is just something missing. When i play through what i like it makes all the difference. Guess that's a cool thing at the end of the day lol.

6. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

So, what speakers are you using ?

If watch just litteraly right now a dvd of Cannibal Corpses and damned, they sound so good with the ELV ! Fat, clear and precise.
    The opposite of the V30 for me.
    But I can't really remember the sound of the Black Label when I use 10 years ago.

They cut through but in a piercing way with some amps. And the sound change SO MUCH if you just touch the volume knob !
    The K100 for example are higher wattage and don't have this things but have some cons too.

I wish Celestion made a speaker which is crystal clear, high wattage, support low rage and which are not kwacky/twangy.
    The Redback seems to be like this.

I got 2 6505 for 10 years and love this amp but prefer it with T75 instead of V30.
    So, you play with what right now ?

7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I dislike V30s when playing on your own. They obviously cut nicely in a mix but to me against their namesake they are modern and aggressive sounding. They are put in way, way too many cabs and are even grossly overrepresented in impulse responses.

I much prefer speakers like Greenbacks. Plug a Marshall type amp into a cab with Greenbacks and it's instantly familiar from a huge pile of classic rock records. Oh and those GBs can get mean too, I like them just fine with high gain sounds too.

The906 likes this.
  8. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I have a s***tons of IR and lately, I use the Two Notes Bogreen a lot and really like it !
    They're tight, agressive and "true". I can't really explain it but I really like this sound and don't need a lot of post EQ to sound excellent and pop out of a dense mix !

If I remember right, Aeon use some Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks and low tune Schecter 7 strings with SD Blackout.
    Sounds brutal !

9. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I love v30s but variety is delightful. I've got a 112 qoth an Eminence g12 (greenback-ish speaker) and it sounds awesome with my Mark v and my 6505+.

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Are we talking recording here or only in a room setting?

For recording I guess the v30 + SM57 has been done to death. I am starting to get into v30 +R121 + SM57, with the 57 only being a background mice like 5 - 10 db lower than the r121. Same combo on greenbacks also work well. I guess it depends on what you style are recording, but it sounds different and a bit fresh even though the R121 is a classic for tones outside metal.

11. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

WGS Veteran 30 > V30

Such a shame that theres not a lot of Veteran 30 IRs around. It is basically V30 but with a smoothened high and thicker mid. Sounds just as good as V30 for metal but without V30's worst qualities

12. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

I've only heard the V30s found in Mesa cabs, which are supposedly different than the rest, so my opinion is based around that.

The Mesa recto cabs are still some of the best selling cabs to date, and for good reason. They are really well balanced overall, and every amp I run through them sounds great. They might be a tad on the mid heavy side, but that is why they shine in a band context. I've tried other speakers/cabs, but keep coming back to V30s.

Regardless, I can totally understand why you are V30 fatigued (I'm fatigued of metal in general). It's like being in a relationship with a girl, or your wife for that matter. At first, you love to hear her talk, and the sound of her voice can even be soothing. Then you realize how fucking annoyed you are by it, and want to duct tape her mouth shut, but your moral compass tells you that it would be unethical to do that, so you develop selective hearing instead.

...there's not a nicer way of putting it. :D

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    MASS DEFECT and Korneo like this.
  13. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Try Ev's. The EVM 12L's or the Force's. They are more like a Hi-Fi speaker and have plenty of range and power handling. they can handle into bass freq's and go to about 7k also, I think they are around 80-7k, whereas a V30 is more around 80hz-5k or something. The 12L has a res freq of 55hz though and v30 is 75. The extra handling and range lets you push the low's more, push the power amp more, and cut some highs if wanted to make them really solid. Some may find them sterile sounding, which is why I like them, because they don't impart much of their own character compared to a V30. I currently use the Ev forces which are similar. The EVM's use to be the upgrade speakers for Mesa cabs back in the 90's. The magic combination was always this: Russian power amp tubes, Chinese preamp tubes, EMG 81/85, Mesa or Marshall and a either a v30 cab or an EVM 12L cab. There's a reason so many great band and records used and still use it. It works and sounds great.

WarMachine likes this.
  14. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

I have to ask- how is you like the MF400? I have someone offering me a trade for one.

15. Korneo

Korneo SS.org Regular

I already got it in my Laboga cab mixed with V30 (I miss typing the name) and they sound good but the mids, in my souvenir, are kinda strange, like a wah always on.
    But they sound ENORMOUS and tight and have litteraly no beaming.

If you like or want to try the K100, it's a good idea.
    This cab is way bigger than a 1960 but not boomy and dark as the Mesa. It sound really good !
    I trade it to a guy who don't like the sound anymore because he ear some tatteling sound. I trade my Maxon ST9 Pro + against this cab !
    I open it, change the wire for a bigger one and give a tight grip to 3/4 of the loosing screw and got it, amazing score !

c7spheres likes this.
  16. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

I also tend to rip em out as soon as i get a box.
    I have been playing Jensen Electric Lightnings for some time now and I am pretty sure this won't change too soon.
    Just a great metal speaker.
    I would also recommend the hesu demon. Very clear and even frequency response, nicr presence and cut, but darker then the Electric lightning.

Korneo likes this.
  17. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

I felt the same way about v30's as you. I tried Greenbacks and fell in love. Greenbacks and Creamback variants can get really brutal but work for a lot of styles. Try a combo of G12M and G12H's if you have a 2x12 or 4x12.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I like to swap between the V30 and Greenback sound on occasion. On paper, the Greenback seems like it wouldn't be a great metal speaker due to the low headroom, but it has this unique growl to it.

19. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Can't beat Mesa Mark+greenbacks.

Nitrobattery and Meeotch like this.
  20. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I don't hyper-focus on a "V30 sound" so it doesn't bug me. That said I've only been using a V30 cab for the last 4 years. I had WGS classic lead 80's and G12-65's in a marshall cab before that.