Boosting (tightening) a 5153 with a Klone

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by rexbinary, Sep 30, 2019.

1. davidian6811

davidian6811 SS.org Regular

I use an Archer Ikon for solo boosting my evh 5150iii 50w. A little goes a long way with the red channel. Gives it that extra singing tone

For rhythm, a normal tubescreamer like a precision drive at minimal settings can bring it tighter than before

rexbinary likes this.
  2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

You can barely hear the differences and this is into a clean amp. Imagine into an already compressed dirty amp. The ONLY thing you will hear is the EQ. You are literally doing what a Dumble amp does - Pre-distortion EQ shaping and boost. Nothing more.

Shask, efiltsohg and rexbinary like this.
  4. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

it matters in a few designs (Rat comes to mind, which sounds the way it does because of the shitty chip with a low slew rate. not that that's really an OD pedal)

5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Nice!

I just wrote this on another forum yesterday about the Timmy design (although, admittingly, I only have a Caline Pure Sky, so it is not the same). I do think boosts having Input/Output buffers DO effect the tone and feel more than people think.

6. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

Bonus vid for you, my friend...

rexbinary and Shask like this.
  7. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

i always find that my j-rockett silver archer sounds better than just about anything as a boost, I much prefer it to TS style boosts. You can't really dial it in like you would a tubescreamer. I have used it in front of a 5153 with great results. Still plenty tight

rexbinary likes this.
  8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Very cool. I only watched the part in the middle about impedance, but basically they said the more the impedance mismatch, the more you lose the resonant frequency, and lose volume/gain overall, and lose high end and low end.

I pretty much knew this, but it was cool to see them use that pedal that changed the impedance. I think that is pretty dramatic. When they lowered it, the tone definitely got weak and thin. That is how I hear OD pedals sometimes that do not have buffer circuits. It is like they don't have the thickness to drive a heavy signal.

USMarine75 likes this.
  9. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

i use the 808 in my helix and it works great on the blue channel of my 5153. when i change to dirty a boost, noise gate and eq come on. its sweet.