Boost suggestions

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jwiltz2072, Jul 22, 2019.

1. jwiltz2072

jwiltz2072 SS.org Regular

I have done a little searching but couldnt find specifically what I am looking for.

Is there a clean boost that I can leave on that will tighten up, lets say, a Rectifier without distorting the clean tone.

Like a leave on all the time kind of thing.

Thanks.

2. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Any EQ pedal will do that, as long you don't boost the sliders. Only use it to cut some frequencies....

Stevie_B, USMarine75 and Bearitone like this.
  3. jwiltz2072

Ok, I have a Boss GE7 I could try.

I guess something like a TC Spark mini boost would be too much then?

4. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

What you're looking to do is tone shape and not boost. You could use a boost, but you're just using its tone shaping options.

Use an EQ or something like a VFE Standout or Focus will work, or a treble booster (which isnt actually a "treble" booster).

Basically you need to cut your input of lows into your preamp, so when it distorts it's not distorting the low end and making it rounded and undefined, without adding gain prior to the preamp.

But keep in mind this will still make your clean tones have no/less lows. So it's a catch-22...

Hopefully this makes sense?

0rimus and Stevie_B like this.
  6. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

The TC Electronics integrated preamp clones out there could do it too, just keep the level low.

7. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Believe it or not I’ve been able to leave my savage drive v3 on, and even on cleans it only colors the tone in a very subtle fashion but doesn’t distort it. I would definitely not hesitate to leave it on full time if I had to. Then it’s back to tightey-tight on my leAd channel.

0rimus and ATRguitar91 like this.
  8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Problem is this:

If you're actually boosting the level of your overdrive channel with the pedal and then switch to the clean channel: you'll experience a massive volume jump due to the boost hitting the input of the clean channel.

This is because the clean channel still has available headroom (hence, it's still clean). The higher input signal will cause the volume to increase until it runs out of headroom, at which point it clips.

This doesn't happen with the overdrive channel because it's already out of headroom and so the boost just causes even more clipping.

So you'd really want something that isn't boosting a lot but instead is mostly just applying EQ.

Or maybe try something like the Fortin 33 that will switch the Recto channels at the same time you turn the 33 on and off. Or just put the channel footswitch close enough to your boost pedal and step on them at the same time (or go Tim Commerford style and put a board across them so stepping on the board switches them both).

efiltsohg and Stevie_B like this.
  9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I'd look into the Airis Savage Drive. Has a ton of output on tap without adding distortion to your signal. A ton of flexibility EQ wise as well.
    What I was going to suggest. The Savage Drive is incredibly versatile with it's EQ options. Keep the level down, and it won't really add any distortion to your signal.

10. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Another vote for the Savage (Boost in my case) it does actually meld pretty well with clean tone and I kept it on all the time.

But pretty much any pre boost/shape pedal should work as long as it's not slamming the fudge out of the input.

And how twangy you're willing to have your clean tone be

11. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

12. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Friedman Buxom Boost is the only one I've left on. When you defeat the EQ, it's just a tight and boost knob. Like anything else you'll have to roll your guitar volume off a touch.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

A boost by definition boosts your tone. How are you going to boost and stay clean ?guitar Volume knob is the answer.

14. jwiltz2072

I guess I could clarify by saying not necessarily “boosting” the tone but tightening up the overdrive channels while the clean tone remains clean.

15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

TC Spark. Find the mode you like best and use the EQ to get you where you want and keep the level below noon.

You're likely going to have to EQ the Recto dirt channel with more gain and less bass than you would if you were running a more prototypical boost configuration in order to keep it tight.

It's going to be a bit of a battle to get it right with a Recto especially if it's an original 3 channel. You might need to boost a little more and then use your volume knob on the clean to cut some of the boost.