Body finishing advice

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Snarpaasi, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Hi,

Within a year I've become a fan of teles and partscasters and I have one (soon two) projects going on. I got a well playing neck and Dr. Parts body with ugly black spray on it for cheap which I wanted to experiment with. I sanded off the old black and used urethane-alcyd based furniture paint that can be thinned with water. I used the same stuff to to repaint my home doors two years ago. Initial idea was to use chalk paint for "relic" looks but couldn't find a spot-on color.

First coat and light sanding is done, have some time on the weekend to do the second round. The paint itself is quite durable but I'm considering wipe-on poly or something. However, I'm not a fan of high gloss so the raw matte look with only the paint is ok too. I couldn't even sand the worst bumps to even so perfection is not the goal here. I have danish oil which I used to finish another brand new neck but don't know what would happen if tried to apply for the painted body.

Ideas?

2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

You could try spraying a matte clearcoat on the top, but I think just about anything is going to make the relic look kind of weird. I'd just leave it relic'd.