Blut Aus Nord: Hallucinogen

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by KailM, Sep 19, 2019.

1. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I don't know that I've ever been this excited for an album. Could be that this band (entity?) is my favorite metal artist of them all. 2019 has been one hell of a year for metal releases. And this one just may take the top honors for me. Here is just the opening track from Hallucinogen (sorry, nothing on YouTube yet):

https://blutausnord.bandcamp.com/album/hallucinogen

I'm hearing a magnificent blend of Cosmosophy and Memoria Vetusta II here. Which would be, I think, two of his very best albums. There's something new as well though. October can't come soon enough.

Here's a few other gems if you haven't had the privilege of discovering Blut Aus Nord yet. The diversity of this band is unbelievable. Everything from soaring, cosmic beauty, to crushing, hellish black/death metal brutality:

And all the way back from 1995 \m/:

2. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Excellent news, huge BAN fan. MVII is also my favorite album though they are all pretty much brilliant.

KailM likes this.
  3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Forgot about this band, thanks for putting this back on my radar.

KailM likes this.
  4. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Finally got a few spins of the new track and am absolutely loving it. Almost has a slight psychedelic vibe with some of the guitar phrasing and vocals which BAN has never really gone down the route of and it's interesting. Guy never ceases to amaze me with the landscapes he creates and each album is a completely new and refreshing yet still BAN. To me this is what MVIII should have sounded more like as a follow up to the MVII sound. It's not called an MV record but this is MVIV. True avant-garde.

KailM likes this.
  5. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

My favorite BAN is 777 sects. MVII was huge for me growing up, but always felt a little "off". This is sounding good though, I'm excited to hear the rest!

KailM likes this.
  6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

New BAN!! sweeet, I'm going to play it right now

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

The whole album is listenable on Bandcamp right now. I'm halfway through it at the moment. Mind is too blown to say any more...

sirbuh likes this.
  8. R34CH

R34CH Counter Culture Bullet Vulture

Thanks for putting this together my man...never really knew where to start with BAS but really enjoyed this curated selection - especially the ones off Cosmosophy. Will check out more.

KailM likes this.
  9. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Masterpiece... all their is to say, pure art. Just ordered my copy and have listened to in full all day on bandcamp. I don't care what the album name is this is MVIV in my book.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    KailM likes this.
  10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

AOTFY.

11. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Leviathus likes this.
  12. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Their touches of industrial atmosphere is what I love most about them. They just create this sprawling world with their music and it's damn near inhuman how well they craft that with just sound. I've often described them as "If Silent Hill was music". What they're able to tap into with their music is something I could only ever dream of having the skill to do

KailM likes this.
  13. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

This is definitely a new era for BAN, but at the same time familiar. It has leanings toward the Memoria Vetusta side, but I hear the industrial/777/TWWTG influences too. I also hear a little Ultima Thulee as well, which was a stand-alone album. Supposedly there is going to actually be a MV IV, and this album ain’t it.

Gotta say, this album is one of the best I’ve heard in the last 10 years. There is so much to unpack, yet it doesn’t overstay its welcome. It’s one of those albums that I’ll listen to three times in a day, then switch to something else for fear of getting tired of it — but the next day I can’t not play it again. :lol:

14. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

adding to the list to check out next.

15. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Love this. Had on shuffle all morning

KailM likes this.
  16. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I’ve been listening probably 5 times a week since it was released. It never gets old, and I’m still noticing new things.

I think it’s their second best album; only beaten by MV II.

17. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Album is fantastic and very well written. Some of these slow "bluesy" leads take me back to playing Road Rash on Sega Genesis hahah

KailM likes this.
  18. simonXsludge

simonXsludge (((Ω)))

Huge BaN fan, but I gotta say I have a tough time getting into this album. It seems pretty vanilla and the bluesy leads don't always land well with me, like in the otherwise great first single.

I've liked the vast majority of their catalogue, but this one doesn't seem to be for me.

KailM likes this.
  19. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

I love BAN, but this album is very different from anything they have done before, as they admit.
    It is recognisably still BAN, but is shockingly normal rock/metal with a thin and simple sound, a huge difference from the vast, immersive, orchestral, multilayered ambience of MVII which i love. Everything i have loved about BAN is missing.
    I find it weird how long time fans of BAN can stomach this when it is so mainstream.

20. AChRush1349

AChRush1349 SS.org Regular

Very easily one of the best albums of 2019.

KailM likes this.