BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by laxu, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The powersoak feature in these is perfect for this. You can have the master cranked to get that perfect amp tube saturation and compression when the unit is really cooking - then using the powersoak via midi, turn the overal output to whatever volume you want, therefore having sweet cranked tube amp tones at bedroom volumes.

Its why I desperately want the BluGuitar midi adapter for mine.

Backsnack likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

@Backsnack incase you missed this heres my iridium recording

3. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I listened to it a few times on my way to work. Good song!

I want to listen again on my studio monitors at home. There’s definitely a “quack” to the tonality that I would personally dial back a couple of dB. Otherwise I tbink it sounded great, and nice playing and riffs too! I was a little curious about the low end response but then when you got to the bridge or middle section on the palm mutes it sounded pretty badass.

lewis likes this.
  4. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Yeah. It sounds ok tbh. The preamp just needs a boost like what others have already said. Not all power amps are made the same. But also, not all preamps are made the same. Some just don't jive with each other.

lewis likes this.
  5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

combination of those damn fishman moderns and the Boss SD1 model inside the HX effects i used to boost it i think haha
    super snarl.

cheers though dude :D appreciate it
    some of the riffs are hardwork haha

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

This is going to be an interesting watch

laxu likes this.
  7. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Oh definitely! I usually don't have time to watch the entirety of those livestreams, they get a little long-winded! I'll probably wait until after it's done so I can skip through it a bit.

By the way, I read a review of the AMP1 IE on Thomann where someone said he had "constant background noise" that was noticeable at low volumes, and was one of the reasons why he returned it. Have you experienced a similar thing?

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

My Mercury Edition is pretty much dead silent. Of course adding a ton of gain will increase the amount of noise but that's entirely normal.

9. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Right, that’s obvious. He claims it’s the only amp that he’s used that’s had the problem.

He’s the only person I’ve seen write or say that about either Amp1 so I’ll chalk it up to a fluke or user error. Could have had a defective unit too.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

My Iridium is completely silent. These are often paired with HX FX units and early HX FX's had efx loop problems that lo and behold, were creating major efx loop noise for these units (Amp1's). Line 6 recalled stock and fixed all the issues.

Im half wondering if he had this pair, and wrongly diagnosed the problem as being with the Mercury and didnt think it could have been the HX FX instead?

But yeah ive never had noise
    my Darkglass X Ultra pedal for my bass - now THAT creates noise. That XLR out is noisy as hell

Backsnack likes this.
  11. King Belial

King Belial SS.org Regular

if anybody is interested, i have an Iridium up for sale. its total mint. hardly used

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Interesting little tone comparison in Keith Merrow's latest video. Featuring the Amp1 Iridium alongside the main stay full tube amps people are used to, and it holds its own no problem -

skip straight to 5:35 to hear the amp comparisons. Boss Tube Amp Expander vs Torpedo Studio

13. King Belial

what i see... their giving a bunch of these amps away for endorsement purposes. having a crappy fl loop ruins it for me.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

???

The dude in Keiths video is the owner - he bought it as far as im aware. nothing to do with endorsement.
    also, I still dont understand how the Fx Loops are "crappy"?
    mine literally works flawlessly.

anthony.drake likes this.
  15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You can ignore him. He's salty he can't figure out how to get his Diezel Herbert pedal to work to his satisfaction apparently through a number of amps. There is nothing wrong with the fx loops on the BluGuitar amps. They both perfectly fine for both line and instrument level devices.

16. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Maybe my perception is skewed because I'm a bit tired after just getting home from my workday, but ...

My takeaway is that the biggest difference in overall sound for that whole comparison is the loadbox/IR loaders: the Torpedo Studio and the Wazaa TAE. Sometimes the Wazaa sounded better with certain amps, but most of the time the Torpedo Studio sounded better. The Wazaa had an overly bright fizzy thing many times that I didn't like.

Each of the amps, including the Amp1 IE, sounded excellent. And like the guys said at the end, each of the amps had their own little subtle flavors. Clearly they know what they're doing when it comes to dialing in amps to get good metal tones.

lewis likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

bingo!
    it was a main comparison of said products :)
    I also had the same opinion that for the most part, i prefered the Torpedo Studio over the Boss. That fizzy thing I dont like

The Iridium really can hang with the boy boys in tone.

Backsnack likes this.
  18. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

guyz why doesn't my $200 pedal sound like the $4000 amp it's named after???

lewis likes this.
  19. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

LOL

There are SOME companies that can make some legit amp tones *and feel* crammed into pedals: Origin Effects, KSR, BluGuitar. Victory Amps too, but those are effectively the preamp sections yanked out of their heads and put into rather large pedals and fed by tubes.

20. King Belial

but... your not running a high gain pream pedal or module through the fx loop. weve already been over this. when you do... let us know. we know youre a huge fan boy this company. very biased opinion. as ive also stated numberous times... this amp sounds good by itself. doesnt really need a boost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.