BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by laxu, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I feel bad for Arnold because Thomas said he'd let him get the first review out there... And... Well... :lol:

Stuck_in_a_dream likes this.
  2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Got to listen more thoroughly, it does sound very good.

Can’t decide if i like this more, or Ceres preamp + poweramp.

3. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Yeh, i was seriously considering a Ceres, but the chugs in Ola's video of this thing are so good. I can't choose at the moment.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'm gonna have to go back and forth on both videos. :lol:

Werecow likes this.
  5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Well let's just say that I would not dare stand in front of the cab for sure and did not dare to play more than a few chords.

Then you RMA the device. Blug says that the tube should last far far longer than typical preamp and power tubes. It's soldered straight to the board. I would not worry about it at all.

It can be as smooth or aggressive as you want. Just turning the EQ a few numbers up or down has a massive effect on the sound, far greater range than you have on most amps. The great thing to me is that all the channels work well with the shared EQ, I've never had a situation where I went "I wish this setting had a bit more mids or less treble" etc.

Backsnack likes this.
  6. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I still feel the same as with Ola's video...
    The 'Metal'...
    Bass has an artificial type faux 4x12 rumble thing going on before it begins to thicken up the sound.
    Treble gets fizzy before brightening up the sound, like it needs a Presence control.

Eq just seems to operate oddly to me.
    IDK...could be how it was recorded or my listening setup.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  7. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

This thing sounds incredible and is really well thought out, but the lack of resonance and presence probably tips the scale towards a modular setup for me.

One minor thing I don't like about it that probably wouldn't apply to most people is that there's only one high gain sound. I'd rather have 2 or 3 different flavors of high gain (fat vs tight) instead of the classic and vintage channels.

8. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I know it’s probably a matter of having to buy something to supplement something you just bought, but Amptweaker’s depthfinder is apparently a super cool alternative to depth and presence controls.

Gmork and Spinedriver like this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You can adjust the sound of each channel with the tone knobs on the side. The Mercury is at least made to work so that each channel works together so you don't jump from a vastly different tone to another - most of us have variations of a few sounds rather than completely different ones for live use.

I don't feel there is a need for resonance or presence, the bass and treble controls do their job well enough for my tastes.

10. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

Jesus that sounds good. I was seriously saving up to dump my cash into a Ceres+poweramp+2x12cab rig, but in all honesty this just does "it" for me. It can even do those squishy pushed cleans I love. Now I gotta wait for something else to come out :D.

11. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Ola, are you trying to convince a Californian that it actually gets hot in Sweden? :D

12. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Honestly sounds too "metal" for me. It reminds me of the Sinmix Kemper stuff which was too much for me. I'm not a big boosted tone guy though. I like to use boosts in a more subtle way.

13. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

You should email Bluguitar and ask about the typical failure rate for them.

Considering this thing is designed to withstand the rigors of being on a pedalboard, it's probably quite sturdy and reliable.

14. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Yeah I wonder what happened with that.

Arnold is a good guy, I like his content. I subscribe to both his and Ola's channels.

15. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

@laxu

Have you experimented with any third-party midi controllers with your Amp1?

The reason I ask is that they want to charge $60 for what appears to be a simple TRS - MIDI adapter cable. There are many cheaper options from the likes of Disaster Area and such. I asked BG’s tech support about the configuration of the cable (i.e., which pins are earthed), but the only reply I got was “The MIDI1 adapter is the only thing that will work.”

While I understand that may be true, the refusal to provide any actual technical specs on the cable is irritating. Ultimately it just comes off as marketing speech, which I guess is to be expected because they’re a business and need to make money.

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The MIDI adapter is actually a tiny MIDI controller built into the cable. It looks a bit off to fit everything in there. I agree that it's expensive but that's really the reason, it's not just a TRS to MIDI cable. Personally I wish they had just gone for MIDI only as I don't see much value in being able to hook up some generic footswitch. Likewise the Remote 1 floorboard is expensive for what it is.

I currently use the MIDI adapter with my Helix Floor for a few things. I have a single patch on my Helix set up as a pedalboard type thing where I have programmed some fx on/off toggles and Amp 1 reverb and boost toggle switches. I use the snapshots feature for channel switching and setting the gain range because due to the way MIDI learn is implemented, you can't save gain range on the unit itself with anything but the Remote 1. Hopefully they issue a firmware update some day that will fix this as it would be nice to have when you just want to take the Amp 1 with you.

Gain range in this case means being able to control the max gain on each of the Amp 1 channels. This is useful on the Mercury because it's by default tuned for single coils so it has a ton of gain on the overdrive channels. Around 5 was already the max I would use personally. Because it has a bright cap on the overdrive channel gain knob, turning the gain down can make it harsh. So it's better to instead adjust the range of the pot to your liking via MIDI and then you have just the right amount of adjustment range so settings from zero to 10 are actually useful. I think I have most set to roughly 50-60% of max gain possible.

I highly recommend reading the manual to learn about most of what it can do.

BTW, website is up: https://www.bluguitar.com/iridium/en/

rexbinary likes this.
  17. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Good to know about the cable. It would have been nice to have been told that by tech support. Maybe they should hire you to answer emails. ;)

Very cool feature regarding the gain range. I was under the impression that the position of the knobs can’t be saved or changed for each amp channel? (Or maybe that was just the EQ.)

But if gain can be adjusted/saved per channel, that’s good. I do wish the eq settings could be saved per channel.

18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The knobs are analog so they can't be saved. To me the gain range is more of a set and forget setting, you figure out what is a good maximum setting with the gain on 10 for each channel. For the clean I recommend the full 127 MIDI CC value and less for the overdrive channels. To me the channels are well balanced so I haven't been bothered by not being able to save the gain. Using your guitar volume knob to vary the gain level works well and you always have the boost for more.

Backsnack likes this.
  19. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

We’re a nitpicky bunch aren’t we? :lol:

Gmork and wakjob like this.
  20. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Hello, I see that you're new here. Welcome to SevenString.Org, a forum dedicated to seven string guitars and related gear! Be sure to introduce yourself in the "Member Introductions" forum, and head over to the Beginners/FAQ section if you have any basic questions about which seven string guitar to buy.

Masoo2, Shask, wakjob and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.