BluGuitar Amp 1 Iridium "metal edition" is coming

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by laxu, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sylcfh

sylcfh SS.org Regular

How useful is the built-in boost? Is it versatile enough to replace a boost pedal?

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I dont rate it. Seems odd to me. I plan on using the HX effects boosts instead when im patch building.

The clean boost setting adds a tiny amount of high end boost but becomes mushy. Rhythm to me sounds better with the built in boost off.

Turning the trim pot the other way on the boost gives that massive clipped - metalzone type thing. When its overgained and sounds chainsaw like. Not my thing either.

Granted thats the modern channel. Havent had much time seeing if the boost works better with the classic and vintage channels instead.

3. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

That sounds ridiculously good. Also helps that the dude playing it has some nice chops.

Every single channel sounds incredible, actually. Yup, GAS is still strong for this one LOL.

lewis likes this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

On the Mercury Edition it goes from a clean boost to a Tube Screamerish thing IMO. Works fine in my book. With the Iridium having a huge pile of gain and a very powerful EQ range it might not be that useful.

lewis likes this.
  5. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Yeah it already sounded pretty damn tight on the Modern channel with the boost turned off. I remember from Ola's clip it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference when he was chugging. Like maybe there was just a touch less bass and more mids, but I think a similar thing could be achieved with some loop EQ.

How would you compare the Vintage and Classic channels on your Mercury vs. the Iridium? The Classic sounds like it'll be awesome for higher gain leads. I feel like I would use the Vintage channel on the Iridium for interludes, bridges, etc. .... transitions between high gain riffs.

6. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Chainsaw, you say?

INTERESTING

I'm looking for an excuse to dump my mini HM-2 clone. Looks like I found it. :lol:

lewis likes this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The eq is so wide on this. If you have gain max. Treble quite high. And the boost engaged with the trim pot all the way to the right so thats adding gain too - its pretty useable for that old swedish death metal thing.

The unit does cover a crazy amount of ground. Its just a case of sitting down and deciding whats what on it. Ive now got it back at my house from my practice room.
    Can start looking at patch building with my new HX Effects :)

Backsnack likes this.
  8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I haven't tried the Iridium in person so take this with a grain of salt, but the Vintage channel on the Mercury is like a real nice sounding JTM-45-ish overdrive that has a really cool openness to it. It's probably my favorite sound on it. The Classic goes from Plexi to JCM800 so it's probably like the JCM800 side is the starting point for the Iridium on that channel.

Backsnack likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Had a very interesting idea.

So i have the amp1 Iridum and now a HX Effects too.
    I want to pickup a 4 or 5 string bass after xmas.

Going through the HX effects earlier I noticed it includes a Darkglass b7k pedal...

Now...

Nolly uses a compressor, a darkglass with the DI blended back in inside it then into his axe fx where the patch includes a peavey 5150 guitar amp.

Could all this actually be do able with...these2????

So bass > HX effects (use darkglass/compressor blocks) > Iridum metal channel > Bass cab??? (And FOH at the same time)

Backsnack likes this.
  10. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

JTM45, you say?
    [​IMG]

The Iridium manual says the tone knob for the classic channel goes from "Hot Rodded British High Gain" to "German Wall of Sound." So maybe JCM800 to a Diezel?

Speaking of vintage tones-- I recently picked up a RevivalDrive Compact to see what all the buzz is about. It's definitely a chameleon of vintage amp tone in a box. It doesn't have nearly as many extra features as the big one, but it's a lot more user-friendly for that reason. I think it would make a great companion to the Amp1 IE to add another "vintage amp" channel to the whole setup of one's choice. I've been loving the the approximation of a Fender Blackface-style distortion. It can also do the Vox AC30 thing quite well.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  11. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Why use the metal channel when you're already using B7k distortion? Seems like a one-way ticket to mud city.

12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Nollys bass setup has the darkglass out front with drive off. He used it as a clean boost and to have that darkglass character.
    The gain was coming from a peavey 5150 guitar amp inside the axe fx.

13. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Brand new Ola review as it was his pick of best gear of 2019.
    New office space looks amazing for him.

Chuffed for him -

Backsnack likes this.
  14. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

15. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I don't know if it's how he has it mic'd or what but it sounds a bit muffled to me. Not only that but there's a weird sort of ringing noise whenever he stops that sounds kind of 'not right'. Overall it does sound ok but at that price (it's $1,200 CDN) you could probably get a Helix Stomp and a pedal power amp and have a LOT more versatility.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The analog eq has a crazy amount of scope.

Like the Mid can go full boxy boomy weird shit to more scooped than a metal zone with everything in between.
    He may have had the mid knob a way bit too high. Not sure.

Either way another reason why i grabbed the HX effects to pair with it. Im going to use the HXs noise gate to stop those rings better and eq blocks too to help with any boxyness or muffled frequencies :)

I also dont like the built in boost so will again use the HXs aswell as its reverb/delay.

It does amp channel switching which is awesome.

Backsnack likes this.
  17. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Regarding the channel switching, the minor annoyance is that you have to to buy the $60 midi adapter cable to use it with another midi controller. But the real capability of the Amp1 is unlocked when you use it with midi. You can switch just about everything except the EQ since it’s fully analogue, like you mentioned.

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Luckily i only need channel switching which the HX can do using a trs cable and putting an external amp switching effect block in the chain of any patch i make.

Means no adapter for me. But yeah if i want like my laptop to midi control my entire setup in time with the backing track then i would have to pick it up

19. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Double check on that and make sure that the TRS jack on the Amp1 will do that. My understanding is that it’s only a TRS to MIDI jack.

20. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I haven’t watched that video yet, but his first one sounded great. I think there are a lot of variables between mics and cabs being recorded with the various videos.

The one video either on this page or previous with the dude playing the strat sounded excellent with the more rock-style lead playing and shredding.

So like other regular analog amps, it’s probably something that’s even more enjoyable in person in the same room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.